Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Registered
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    AA, Michigan
    Posts
    46

    Cooling the NorthBridge.

    I have the XFX 780i Motherboard. I just bought all the liquid cooling parts the other day (waiting for it to arrive ) and it dawned on me I may need one for the NB as well.

    for those who never see nthe xfx 780i
    http://www.legitreviews.com/images/r...otherboard.jpg

    it already has a decent heatsink setup and a fan etc, but it still feels hot at stock settings. Should it be alright?

  2. #2
    Epic Fail Guy JamesXP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    England
    Posts
    5,648
    It should be okay, I'd just get a TR HR-05
    i5 3570K @ 4.5GHz
    Thermalright Macho 120
    ASRock Z77 Pro4
    8GB Kingston HyperX 1600MHz
    128GB Samsung 830 SSD
    EVGA GTX770 ACX
    EVGA Supernova 750G2
    Corsair 650D

  3. #3
    Registered
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    AA, Michigan
    Posts
    46
    that would cool the chipset more then the active cooling that came with it?

  4. #4
    Member 911us's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    105
    Quote Originally Posted by Madz View Post
    that would cool the chipset more then the active cooling that came with it?
    TR HR-05 is very good,if you lapped the base I think it will be the best chipset heatsink.

  5. #5
    Registered
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    29
    Viperjohn NB block with ramsinks and an evercool VC-RE on the SB, or if you can't handle any noise in your system, an EK NF4 block on the SB. http://imageevent.com/marginjohn/viperjohn VC-RE http://www.petrastechshop.com/evvcvgcodnf4.html NF4 block http://www.petrastechshop.com/ekre11wanbo.html


  6. #6
    Registered
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesXP View Post
    It should be okay, I'd just get a TR HR-05
    That won't cut it, the stock chipset cooler covers The SPP(NB), NF200, MCP, and one row of FETs, if you take the stock cooler off there is a lot to be taken care of.





    The 790i will integrate the SPP and NF200, but until then if you yank off the frankencooler, you will need to replace quite a few things.

    Here's Pre NB, SB, and GPU blocks, and with the nightmare of fluidXP.



    and the same rig when I tried a VC-RE, cooled great but had just enough noise to bug me.
    Last edited by illuxion; 03-14-08 at 11:58 AM.

  7. #7
    Member dribblesnort's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    661
    Quote Originally Posted by Madz View Post
    I have the XFX 780i Motherboard. I just bought all the liquid cooling parts the other day (waiting for it to arrive ) and it dawned on me I may need one for the NB as well.

    for those who never see nthe xfx 780i
    http://www.legitreviews.com/images/r...otherboard.jpg

    it already has a decent heatsink setup and a fan etc, but it still feels hot at stock settings. Should it be alright?
    I have the eVGA version of the 780i.

    Basically identicial to yours, the only change I made was in the fan used on the large angular heatsink

    http://picasaweb.google.com/Notarat/Quaddy/photo

    As you can see from the pics, the fan I used is larger, yet fits perfectly.

    I suppose it could be improved even more by removing all the heatsinks and tubing and applying some AS, then reinstalling all the heatsinks.

    That would be a major PITA for me because it's my "main" and I hate to use my backup (though it's moderately badass on its own)

  8. #8
    Registered
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    AA, Michigan
    Posts
    46
    ya good point. i think i will just get a bigger fan

  9. #9
    Registered
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    29
    The EVGA and XFX boards are absolutely identical, in fact both made by the same company Foxconn. I really would suggest taking off the frankencooler and reapplying the TIM as they have had horrid quality control. The NF200 had about 1/2 coverage of TIM, the SPP had about 2/3, and my poor MCP was behing insulted by rubber.



    If you can handle the noise putting on some new TIM and a bigger fan will help the temps, but a 60mm fan drives me crazy. I like water cooling not only because of the performance, but because of the silence.

  10. #10
    Member dribblesnort's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    661
    Quote Originally Posted by illuxion View Post
    The EVGA and XFX boards are absolutely identical, in fact both made by the same company Foxconn. I really would suggest taking off the frankencooler and reapplying the TIM as they have had horrid quality control. The NF200 had about 1/2 coverage of TIM, the SPP had about 2/3, and my poor MCP was behing insulted by rubber.



    If you can handle the noise putting on some new TIM and a bigger fan will help the temps, but a 60mm fan drives me crazy. I like water cooling not only because of the performance, but because of the silence.
    I see the following fans in your pictures if I'm not mistaken:

    (1) PSU (120mm)
    (1) 120mm top of case
    (1) 120mm Back of case behind CPU
    (1) 70-ish(?) back of case above lower SLI Card
    (3) on your radiator
    (1) in front of your power supply
    (1) in the front of the case

    If your system is quiet, I recommend you seek out the nearest otologist ASAP.

    I have Antec 3 fans in another system using a P180 case and know for a fact that, even on low settings, they are anything BUT silent...

  11. #11
    Registered
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by dribblesnort View Post
    I see the following fans in your pictures if I'm not mistaken:

    (1) PSU (120mm)
    (1) 120mm top of case
    (1) 120mm Back of case behind CPU
    (1) 70-ish(?) back of case above lower SLI Card
    (3) on your radiator
    (1) in front of your power supply
    (1) in the front of the case

    If your system is quiet, I recommend you seek out the nearest otologist ASAP.

    I have Antec 3 fans in another system using a P180 case and know for a fact that, even on low settings, they are anything BUT silent...
    you need to invest in better fans and a fan controller

    As of today
    PSU - 140MM Yate Loon medium speed
    1 SilenX 120 x 38mm top of case
    1 Silenx 120 x 38mm back of case
    60x38 is no longer there, was just trying something
    3 SilenX 120 x 38mm on rad
    1 SilenX 120 x 38mm in front of power supply
    1 SilenX 120 x 38mm in front of case
    1 Rheobus usually only feeding 7V to 120mm fans and about 10v to 140mm fan.

    SilenX fans are 18dB 90cfm, but at 6v are inaudible

    I run 4ghz on the E8400 and 725/2000/1850 on the 8800GTs with the fans on 1/3 turn up and it's fine playing crysis for hours on end. If you listen really close when the fans are turned down you can barely hear the pump even though its on a petra's gel mat. My system is near silent unless I'm benching or crunching and have the fans turned up then you can hear a little wind noise through the rad, but no fan blade or mechanical noise. I have an insulated P180, this insulation http://www.svc.com/apapd.html, but the pump noise comes through the front fan as the pump is right behind it, even though the door is insulated as well. The pump will be moved in the near future though. With the fans on high its completely stable at 4.5gz and meaner clocks on the 8800s and it is a litte noisy, but nothing is like a antec 3s.

    Pardon my ghetto masking tape, as you can see where the 60mm fan was is now blocked off, I'm experimenting trying to get the flow just right then I'll cut some lexan.




    The antec 3 fans SUCK. How do I know?



    Here took them out of the box for you (all 120mm fans: antec 3 38mm, antec 3 25mm, evercool 25mm, few different flavors of yate loon 25mm, silverstone 25mm, aerocool 25mm, thermaltake 25mm, and sflex 25mm)
    Last edited by illuxion; 03-14-08 at 11:13 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •