• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Adventures in DLLand!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Scott9027

I recently had an urge to play Guitar Hero. Without access to moneyfunds I was forced to attempt to download and install the free-alternative Frets On Fire.

All went well with the installation (or so it seemed) until I tried to run the program. I got a typical dll error message so I went and downloaded it and copied it to the folder, then I ran the cmd "regsvr32 msvcr71.dll" [the dll file in question]

Immediately Windows countered with a newer and sexier error message...

Code:
    msvcr71.dll was loaded, but DllRegisterServer entry point was not found.

This file can not be registered.

I've tried to search for solutions as I normally would, but there are too many unrelated pieces of information for me to sort through it. Any help is appreciated.

Just for the hell of it, when you run the command you listed above, include the full path to the filename. For instance try regsvr32 c:\program\folder\here\dllfile.dll

Same error unfortunately, but the new error message includes the full path, so perhaps I needed to get that in order as well as whatever still eludes me. Thanks.

In my experience, you don't always need the correct dll, just the file. I have opened notepad, then save as msvcr71.dll. then move the file to the correct folder, usually system32 folder.
Used this for msvcr80.dll myself.

Back