• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How would source run on this?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheFrag

socket 478 p4 2.8ghz
radeon 9800 pro
1gb or 2gb of ram
win xp pro sp2 stripped down

22" samsung lcd

Trying to throw together a little rig to play source. Getting 15fps at lower settings than the game lets you is getting a little old lol.

I've run Garry's Mod on a very similar system and it actually ran pretty good. That was at 1280x960 resolution, I'm not sure how it would run at your monitor's native resolution.

The source engine actually works pretty good on most hardware. It supports dx6-dx9.0c. Now you'll not have all the pretty eye candy but it will run decently.

That system should run source very well. As said before you won't be able to have that much eye candy at your native res but it should still look decent.

Hey Ive ran Source on a laptop with a P3 900mhz and some S3 graphics card with like 4megs of ram and it ran source. ~5fps at minimum settings, 640x480, but it ran it.

The source engine actually works pretty good on most hardware. It supports dx6-dx9.0c. Now you'll not have all the pretty eye candy but it will run decently.
The newer source games up the requirements slightly. DX6 is no go in TF2, for instance.

At one point, I had a rig almost identical to that (P4 s478 @2.8/ 9800pro 256mb/ 2x512 pc3200) and it ran HL2/ HL2 ep1 great with mostly high, some medium settings @ 1280x1024 resolution.

Back