• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question for people with bad Ballistix...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Negative_3

Registered
Quite a few people have noticed the heatspreader on their new Ballistix wasn't making contact with one (or more) of the ICs.

When mine came not long ago, I had the same problem. I pressed the heatspreader down on the IC that wasn't in contact with it, then added active cooling to boot and my problems went away.

Have you people that have had to RMA 2-3 times looked carefully to make sure the heatspreader is in good contact with each IC? You might have to look at each IC from 4 different angles.

I've had to do that on most of my modules. I could see the heatspreader wasn't making contact with the chips on the end. Mine are the heatspreaders that have the clips btw. I pressed the heatspreaders down firmly on both ends and held it like that for about 10 seconds. I can still see it isn't making perfect contact. I've always actively cooled my Ballistix though, and I don't take them over 2.2v.

Today I took my Ballistix out of my P5K-E. The one side of the heatspreader makes contact pretty well, while the other side is bowed out and not making contact well at all. This is evident on all 4 sticks.

I took off the retaining clips on mine, I was able to do this using just my fingers and a little bit of force. I could see the contact was greatly improved after removing the retaining clips. I pressed the heatspreaders down firmly on the ram to ensure good contact with the thermal pad. I then stretched the retaining clips out a little bit so that they provided less force on top of the RAM modules once applied. The retaining clips were applying too much pressure to the top of the heatspreaders and bowing one side out.

Last edited:
Quite a few people have noticed the heatspreader on their new Ballistix wasn't making contact with one (or more) of the ICs.

When mine came not long ago, I had the same problem. I pressed the heatspreader down on the IC that wasn't in contact with it, then added active cooling to boot and my problems went away.

Have you people that have had to RMA 2-3 times looked carefully to make sure the heatspreader is in good contact with each IC? You might have to look at each IC from 4 different angles.

The consumer shouldn't have to correct something the manufacturer should have done correctly to begin with.

The consumer shouldn't have to correct something the manufacturer should have done correctly to begin with.

The point is that if you do have these modules, you can maybe save yourself a headache down the line by simply checking your modules over to make sure there is proper contact.

Nice tip! When I first got my ballistix tracers, i took out the clips and gave the spresders a good squeeze to set them properly. I think i'll do it again and leave out the clips....

The heat spreaders seemed to be held together fine without the clips at all. I put mine back on after stretching them out some, just to be safe.

Back