• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My First Mod

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

drunkmonkey

This is my first mod ever, it is really just a new drive I made out of an old 5 1/2 floppy drive. The inside looks nicer than outside. It directs sound to either my headphones through the front jack or to my speakers though a jack in the back or mutes the sound. The control to the left controls the loudness of the headphones. I did this because my speakers did not have a place for headphones. I could not stand just using a splitter and turning my speakers down and headphones up. I had to build this and spend $45 at Radioshack.
inside.JPG

Nice wiring organization and a blue light
outside.JPG

(To left:Volume Control, Right:Headphone jack & Toggle Switch)
I need matching paint, another light
The window on it is smoked glass and through it you can see all the guts of my computer lit up in blue light. The blue lights look cool in dark light.
Cost: $45
Labor: 4 1/2 hours

What do you think? any suggestions?

Last edited:
Thanx, like I say, it's for switching frum speakers to headphones because my speakers don't have an auto switch headphone jack, before I had to use a splitter for my headphones & speakers.

KeyboardCowboy said:
good job man, i was thinking about doing this a few days ago

did you just run a line from the output of your soundcard and split it from there????

I made to 1/8" jacks in a leftover card slot cover, one in frum soundcard and one out to speakers. I was thinking of running wires from the soundcard but the I wold not be able to expand.

I might put a temp monitor on it later, that would be cool.
Also, I'm currently planning to make a Cat-5 jack on it to carry sound/power instead of networking: Here is the pin number layout:
Pin 1: ground
2: front left speaker
3: front right
4: back left
5: back right
6: +5v
7: +9v (from a transformer)
8: +12v
This way I could have a universal jack for my speakers, external lights, etc. All I have to do is make a splitter, good idea or not?? Any suggestions for any add on's???

Good idea I might have to copy it on my machine. Also you did a very good job. It looks nice and clean.

Back