• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AudioEngine and AudioTrak audiophile quailty for computers.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hookem

After starting and replying to some threads here at overclockers forums...2 members here seem to have come up with what should be excellent sound for computers.

Lodrin hipped me to AudioEngine speakers.

http://www.audioengineusa.com/

Here is a review of the AudioEngine 2's

http://stereophile.com/standloudspeakers/1207ae/

I ordered the AudioEngine 2's last tuesday and will be ordering the AudioEngine 5's to pair with the 2's as soon as I can scrape together the duckies.

I was going to buy the M-Audio 5.1 sound card but Sir Barton came up with the AudioTrak Prodigy HD2 sound card...Here is a link to AudioTrak's HD2.

http://www.audiotrak.net/products/prodigyhd2/

A review for the Audiotrak HD2.

http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/multimedia/prodigy-hd2-gold-page1.html

Sir Barton replaced the OpAmp's on his card...So for guys looking for audiophile sound from their computers this might be a great combination.

Gotta give props to Lodrin and Sir Barton for taking me out of the Klipsch, LogiTech, Creative world.

:burn:

Last edited:
I'd look at the reviews for the Asus Xonar D2 (or D2X) as well if you are looking for a music oriented sound card.

I'd look at the reviews for the Asus Xonar D2 (or D2X) as well if you are looking for a music oriented sound card.
The Xonar D2(X) are awesome cards, great for music and other multimedia purposes, but my vote would go to the Auzen X-Fi Prelude 7.1.

I went from a CL X-Fi XGamer Fatal Pro to the Prelude and i noticed a massive sound quality increase despite the Prelude having the same APU.

I consider the Prelude as one of my best investments ever.

Ive gone through a fair amount of sound cards in the past year. I started with the X-Fi, then the E-MU 1212M, then the Audiotrak HD2. Each card sounded better than the previous. The X-Fi was great for games, but crap for music. From there, I went to the 1212M. That was killer for music, but what got to me is it takes up 2 PCI slots, and I was only using the analog I/O board. Now Im on the Prodigy HD2. Being able to swap opamps is what drew me to this card the most...I can change out opamps and get a different sound every time. Granted its only a stereo card, but I only run stereo speakers. I use it only for music, the onboard is for games. Having 3 opamps for the output stage really makes the music shine. Most other soundcards only use one opamp per output. Compared to the 1212M, this card has a more fun sound to it. The 1212M was far too analytical...the HD2 just brings the music alive.

I'm currently using a Prelude, but that's because I'm sporting a heavy gaming rig using Windows XP.

Ive gone through a fair amount of sound cards in the past year. I started with the X-Fi, then the E-MU 1212M, then the Audiotrak HD2. Each card sounded better than the previous. The X-Fi was great for games, but crap for music. From there, I went to the 1212M. That was killer for music, but what got to me is it takes up 2 PCI slots, and I was only using the analog I/O board. Now Im on the Prodigy HD2. Being able to swap opamps is what drew me to this card the most...I can change out opamps and get a different sound every time. Granted its only a stereo card, but I only run stereo speakers. I use it only for music, the onboard is for games. Having 3 opamps for the output stage really makes the music shine. Most other soundcards only use one opamp per output. Compared to the 1212M, this card has a more fun sound to it. The 1212M was far too analytical...the HD2 just brings the music alive.
FYI, the Prelude also supports swappable OpAmps and it normally has the LM4562's which are pretty high end themselves (seen alot of Meridians with those OpAmps and the Prelude has them @ default).

I went from CL X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal Pro to the Prelude and the Prelude doesn't compare to the CL card one bit. The Prelude just sounds more crisp and clear. I really can't live without it. :)

The Prelude makes better use of the X-Fi chip, due to the much better components than CL uses, than the original cards, the CL SB X-Fi's.

I still have my XGamer Fatal Pro. I put it in my gf's rig, because i couldn't stand the horrible onboard and even an CL X-Fi is a huge step from onboard. And i don't want my card to collect dust. :)

I'm currently using a Prelude, but that's because I'm sporting a heavy gaming rig using Windows XP.

Because of the EAX? You can use ALchemy for EAX support in Vista and it does its job pretty well. IMHO the sound in Vista sounds better than in XP, mostly because of the better audio stack. Either way, when you're enjoying what you hear, then i'm not the one to criticize. ;)

Thanks for the input guys...On another front look what the FexEx man brought me today.

Picture011.jpg

Mighty Tidy if I must say so myself...Sold the ChainTech 710 in my box and am stuck out with the onboard sound right now...I have a Auidgy card somewhere but have been playing with the new toy today.

To say they sound good would be an understatement...Been listening to Jeff Beck's "You had it coming" a nasty bit of business for sure...Nice...Kinda light on bass but the clarity, crispness of the mid's and high's without the bright sound of horn loaded tweeters...Threw in Hella Good by No Doubt, Sheryl Crow My Favorite Mistake...Becks Freeway Jam...Dave Brubecks Time Out...Bunch of different stuff...2's are smokin !!!

I ripped all my CD's as 192kbs WMA's and that aint gonna get it...Time for another 500gig drive so I can rip them to some type of lossless audio format.

I could easily tell the difference between 128, 192, 256 and 320kbs...Nice speakers...Will be ordering the AudioEngine 5's to pair with the2's as soon as I get one of my loaner box's cleaned up and ready to go out the door.

I think I am going to go with the Prodigy right now...Way less expensive than the Asus or Prelude...I am only going to be listening to music on this box so it seems the logical choice.

Props to Lodrin...AudioEngine 2's are smoking...Can't wait to get my hands on the AudioEngine 5's.

As soon as they get their sub straightened out I will be buying one of those also.

Thanks again Lodrin...And Sir Barton...Be making a call tomorrow...Audiotrak here I come !!!!!

THANKS A LOT HOOKEM!

After all the reading on the Auidoengine 2' I just purchased a set of Auidoengine 5's. Paid $309.99 shipped.

I will be selling my M-Auido Studiophile AV 40's I just purchased a week ago. They sound great but that extra punch the Auidoengine 5's have should rock the house so to speak.

Yes I paid double but I hope it was worth it.

You think my X-Fi extreme music is good enough for these or should I get a Auzen X-FI™ Prelude 7.1 sound card to get the full effect out of them?

I would buy the AudioTrak...I have just been to busy and have not gotten around to ordering one.

For an audio only solution it seems far and away the best card.

I would just keep the Creative card unless you are going to get the AudioTrak.

Gotta love being able to change out the opamps...National Semi Conductor will give you 5 of your choice for free.

Props to Lodrin and Sir Barton...They were the ones who hipped me to the AudioEngine/AudioTrak combiniation.

The 2's sound sweet...But the 5's are certainly the way to go if you are only going to be running 2 speakers.

Last edited:
I would buy the AudioTrak...I have just been to busy and have not gotten around to ordering one.

For an audio only solution it seems far and away the best card.

I would just keep the Creative card unless you are going to get the AudioTrak.

Gotta love being able to change out the opamps...National Semi Conductor will give you 5 of your choice for free.

Props to Lodrin and Sir Barton...They were the ones who hipped me to the AudioEngine/AudioTrak combiniation.

The 2's sound sweet...But the 5's are certainly the way to go if you are only going to be running 2 speakers.

A couple things:

I know nothing about opamps so I've been reading about them.
How do I get the free opamps from National Semi Conductor?
What ones should I get?
Do I need to change them on the Auidotrak?

Sir Barton changed out the opamps in his AudioTrak HD2 to these.

http://www.national.com/pf/LM/LM4562.html

There is a burn in process that takes a couple of days...The new opamps will sound harsh before the break-in period.

The thing about changing to different opamps is it will change the way the card sounds...Allowing you to try opamps and choosing which ones better suit the type of music you listen to but also better suit your ears.

There are several different opamps available...Sir Barton may chime in and give us a little bit more information on his experience with the HD2.

I am jealous...That's for sure...Guess I will have to get off my arse and order me Monday...Lot to like about the card...IMHO...From RCA to RCA connectivity, to the high quality AKM dac's and headphone pre-amp it looks good to me.

And Sir Barton has bought several sound cards with this card sounding the best...He even bought one of the M-Audio 1212's that it is compared to in the review link...He likes the AudioTrak HD2 better...Really for the money it seems like a really good deal...80 bones for a top quality audiophile sound card sounds like a hard deal to beat.

I you would please post a reply about your AudioEngine 5's compared to the M-Audio 40's...I would really appreciate it.

Last edited:
Im chiming in Hookem lol. I plan on getting more opamps pretty soon, dunno what yet. I usually look around on Head Fi to see what everybodys hootin and hollerin about, may have to pay them a visit soon. I hear the newer Texas Instruments OPA369s are pretty good, but Im still loving the LM4562s. The biggest strength for the HD2 is that it uses 3 opamps for the output stage instead of just one like all other sound cards. The opamp for the headphone out isnt swappable, but it dont matter because my amp has a headphone out anyway. I use the X-LS Encore from AV123...great budget bookshelves. Now that you guys have a kick *** sound card and speakers, time to re-rip your music in FLAC...youll hear a nice difference between FLAC and high quality VBR MP3. Youll find MP3 is more suited to "consumer" gear.

"Now that you guys have a kick *** sound card and speakers, time to re-rip your music in FLAC...youll hear a nice difference between FLAC and high quality VBR MP3. Youll find MP3 is more suited to "consumer" gear."

LOL...What a pain...I have way too many CD's...Bought another 500gig hard drive...So 1T for music and ripping them as WAV's and I should be good to go.

Oh well...Took forever to rip them...I know 192kbs WMA's sound like crapola compared to playing the CD...320kbs MP3's are not that bad...But once again comparing them to the actual CD leaves a lot to be desired.

Just re-ripped Let It Bleed as a WAV...427mb...Geezzzz...Glad Fry's has been selling 500gig drives for 89 bucks.

Just so glad to be done with Logitech, Klipsch and especially Creative Labs.

Last edited:
Klipsch does make high end speakers.

I guess it is all about what you like...I do not like horn tweeters...Never have...Way to bright...Just makes me cringe after a couple of hours of listening even at lower volume's.

A friend is a big Klipsch fan...Has some of their high end speaker's...He is a music guy and he just loves them...Has the old tube Mac and the whole routine...But going to his house when he is in party mode can be very trying.

They are already bright and then he goes to cranking on his EQ...He sezzz..."Hear that sizzle?" Oh yeah I hear it...So like others have said in the last few threads about all this business is that speakers are very subjective.

The ProMedia's are high end for computer speakers...Those old Bose's that were made for Gateway and Directron had on sale for 49.00 bones were easily the best "computer" speakers I have ever heard...Still have a pair and they sound mighty tidy...Super clean, balanced, smooth sounding.

I will say that the AudioEngine 2's sound way better than Klipsch ProMedia's...That is my humble opinion.

Cant wait to get my hands on the AudioEngine 5's...The 2's are very accurate and have a nice smooth natural sound...Especially compared to the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1's that just went out my door.

Night and day...I can listen to them cranked for hours...Cannot say that about any computer speaker that has horn tweeters or is a mono-cone design.

Clean and clear...That is my motto...No clipping, distortion, boomy bass or "sizzling" high's.

Shucks I'm preaching to the choir...You are the one sitting on the AudioEngine 5's...I will know what you are talking about in the very near future though...That is for sure...:drool:

I hate you all! I've been trying to get the AudioEngine A2 set for a while now because of the guys at Head-Fi BUT they cost 1000NIS! Thats like half of my paycheck! In fact all the speakers are very expensive and other people from Europe have the same problem when compared to the US prices.
I'm glad people are discovering the "High End" gear, have fun with the gear.

I hate you all! I've been trying to get the AudioEngine A2 set for a while now because of the guys at Head-Fi BUT they cost 1000NIS! Thats like half of my paycheck! In fact all the speakers are very expensive and other people from Europe have the same problem when compared to the US prices.
I'm glad people are discovering the "High End" gear, have fun with the gear.

LOL...Your a funny guy...Shucks...We in the grand ole US of A, get stuff months after it is available in Asian country's...Dont know how much they pay for it but they get it way before we do.

We probably do get better prices...But the best stuff...Probably not...AudioEngine is probably an exception...The old "Made in the USA" just does not apply anymore...Gotta give AudioEngine props for trying to do it "their way".

Back