• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

quad core with crysis

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Red_LightRanger, I didn't see you mention your framerates. What one person considers "smooth" could be "choppy" to someone who isn't satisfied with anything less than 50 FPS. If you're not aware, you can monitor framerates in Crysis by opening the console (~ key) and typing in "r_displayinfo 1". I have very similar hardware to you, and running at 1680x1050 with high settings (no AA) I get about 35 FPS. To me, this is good enough to play the game comfortably.

sys_physics_CPU = 3 ;CPU used for physics "0"=CORE1, "1"=CORE2, "2"=CORE3, "3"=CORE4 Either put this in a config or just type it in the console, your choice.

my frame rates were pretty good (around 40) when theres not a lot of commotion going on. But if there are a lot of explosions or whatever it dips a bit. This is on high with no aa as well

Pntgrd what does that code do?

Crysis crysis crysis, what is it i love and detest about this game, well using the spec below and all the updated drivers i could manage i could play crysis for max 10 minutes before it either A: crashes and returns to vista with the usual"its an error but we dont know why" message or B: the sound Jams and its a restart. All other games run with no real probs although obliion is heavily modded so i cant complain bout a few glitches here and there. But amazingly i put on a dual boot win xp pro and installed crysis...and it runs like a dream, looks great runs great, i am almost...almost tempted to install all games onto XP and wait til vista 64 is a more stabe platform. Also i have not eben been tempted by quad core as of yet, i still reckon the dual core extreme is the best bang for buck around.....for now anyways. and god bless killrbuckeye for the framerate code....gonna see what im pulling out first thing when i get home

Dec

Last edited:
my frame rates were pretty good (around 40) when theres not a lot of commotion going on. But if there are a lot of explosions or whatever it dips a bit. This is on high with no aa as well

Pntgrd what does that code do?
It makes the core of your choice handle the physics. If you have a Quad then set the number to 2 or 3 and it will then use either Core 3 or 4 for physics and use 1 and 2 for the rest of the cpu stuff. Just might help the problem you are describing.

I dont remember where, but someone did a review with a skulltrail and tri sli ultra's. As the detail and resolution gets higher, it becomes more intensive towards CPU, due to more physics calculations.

u guys talking about being patient for quad core gaming lol
how about ps3? it has 9 cores lol. I cant wait till ps3's games catch up with the system. It will be like crysis x3. But they prob will make an update to use all the cores

Well I was never disappointed with Quad Core gaming because Its still to early to really even look at them for gaming. Besides is there even a game out there that goes from unplayable to playable with the addition of Quad Core Processor? All the gains I ever wanted were fulfilled when I fired up Nero Recode to encode a movie or encoded an entire season of Roswell in 45 minutes. If you are a gamer first then why would you even look at purchasing a Quad Core processor when you could grab a E4500 and OC to 4ghz and really help Crysis.

quad cores seem like an epic fail for gaming.

Epic fail?
How do you figure?

I decided when I got my quad core that I wanted to try gaming while converting Highdefinition video (affinitied to only 2 cores)

Went like butter.

Even when not doing that (but still multitasking) I noticed when dropping from a quad to a dual that even non multithreaded games stuttered a little bit at times (rarely, and its been so long since I had a quad... that I do not notice it anymore but it was there initilaly)

This build was mainly for video editing, but i can game with it as well. Dont get me wrong, crysis isnt unplayable, in fact its runs pretty smooth until theres a whole lot on screen. All in all i am pleased with the build, i guess i was just hoping the quad would be able to kick *** in crysis.

Do you guys think that there will be a patch released for crysis that will optimized for quads?

crysis uses all 4 cores, so does just about every other game i play. they may not be pinned to max, but everything touches all 4.

right, but i want it to max em out and fully utilize the whole processor. It kinda sucks having all that power left and only going half throttle.

I'm using XP Pro x32 on my system. I can play Crysis on 'Very High' with no chop at all. Can't turn AA on past 1x without getting a noticeable drop in FPS.

However I game at my monitor's native resolution 1440x900. I imagine if my monitor were a couple inches bigger I'd be singing a different tune :p

Back