• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My x3350 overclocking experience

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
This is on water cooling? Seems a bit warm......

Have achieved a great clock speed?

It is on water cooling. However, this is near the 'don't ever go above' voltage listed on the box.

How about max oc on 8x

I'm working on it..I'm working on it. However, in about a half an hour, I'll be switching over to some other stuff. I should have a super-pi run or two up before I go though. Oh, and I'll be spending some time on it for the next several days.

Yeah but i'm still not happy with those temps. My Q6600 runs ~60C under full load with 1.500v.... And i don't exactly have some uber 5 million GPM pump either.

Ok, here you go! Couldn't get it to boot at 450 at any voltage I was willing to go (1.44 set for 1.38/1.39 in BIOS). Got it to boot at 435 at this voltage.

THIS WAS ONLY ADJUSTING VCORE, NO OTHER SETTING OFF OF AUTO

xeon3.png
Thanks man. When you've got some time could you try giving your motherboard some voltage? Perhaps it's limiting you.

Thanks! have you checked out Real Temp? I'm not sure CoreTemp is correct anymore.

Yeah but i'm still not happy with those temps. My Q6600 runs ~60C under full load with 1.500v.... And i don't exactly have some uber 5 million GPM pump either.

Yep, I've heard of Real Temp, however, given how the chips report their temperatures, I'm not sure if any of these programs can really be trusted until Intel gives out some more real data. What they report is only a delta from an unrevealed set-point.

Oh, and some more benches. This is at 385x8 for 3.08Ghz. Priming temps at this speed according to RT are around 53°C

xeon5.png

xeon6.png

Thanks man. When you've got some time could you try giving your motherboard some voltage? Perhaps it's limiting you.

Um...you are aware that it looks like the 45nm chips can't handle the voltage the 65nm ones can, correct? If so, I really don't want to go over about ~1.4V actual until there is some better info. Check out the E3110 overclocking thread for some more discussion on this.

I'm pretty sure he said your motherboard, as in FSB volts and what not.

Yep, you're right! Sorry about that Inkfix! :bang head

Yes, I plan on working up the other voltages and settings to see where it gets me. I normally take quite a while to really zero in on my overclock.

Sorry about the misunderstanding. I know I'm one of the first on the block with this chip, which is why I'm running through some of the earlier steps faster than I normally would.

Damn, only 3GHZ possible at an 8X Multiplier?! On watercooling too?! That's mad weak. I hope it is either a bad chip or just the Xeon's doing this because this is a huge disappointment.

Damn, only 3GHZ possible at an 8X Multiplier?! On watercooling too?! That's mad weak. I hope it is either a bad chip or just the Xeon's doing this because this is a huge disappointment.
I'm guessing all the chips will be very similar to this one. The FSB wall on these 45nm quads is very low.

My Q6600 @ 1.4v is doing 3.6 ghz 24/7 and core temps are 50c on water and that's in a 25c room.

It sure doesn't look good for these Xeons. Intel has raised the FSB for no reason other than to reduce the multi and make OC less rewarding. The FSB isn't a bottle neck for the q6600 and it didn't need to be increased. Intel is obviously listening to the OC community and responding appropriately to word of free FSB room.

Intel is obviously listening to the OC community and responding appropriately to word of free FSB room.
We overclockers are such a minuscule part of the CPU market that I find it hard to believe that Intel would give us more than two seconds of thought when designing a CPU. Really, in the grand scheme of things, do we enthusiasts really have much influence in the overall market. For video cards and PSUs we sure do, but with CPUs?

We overclockers are such a minuscule part of the CPU market that I find it hard to believe that Intel would give us more than two seconds of thought when designing a CPU. Really, in the grand scheme of things, do we enthusiasts really have much influence in the overall market. For video cards and PSUs we sure do, but with CPUs?

I dunno man, i speculate that we might actually be more of a presence than you think. Who do you think bought out all the retail e8400's when they launched?

Last edited:
Just as an update. Playing HL2 Eps 2, loads much faster and plays smoother, even clocked almost 500Mhz slower. Only thing changed was the CPU.

Also, Folding frames are only running about 10-20 seconds slower a frame at the same 500Mhz slower speed.

Also, it is still stable at 1.25V set in BIOS, with a 1.2V idle actual and a 1.176V under load actual.

I'll be bumping it some more tonight, but assuming the 435FSB is my max, I should be able to get pretty close it it, which means I have about 400Mhz more headroom.

Also, Stanman16? The 3Ghz is just me going up the steps carefully. I've only had the chip in my system since 6pm last night. Give me a little while to find my max overclock.

I don't think you need more vCore at all, I think you need more FSB (vTT) voltage instead. The I/O pins seem to be the inhibitor of FSB on these chips; my E8400 isn't stable at more than ~466 FSB unless I start upping the vTT by about 0.010v -- 500FSB needs something like 0.020v more, and the max ~535FSB requires almost 0.03v more. I haven't tried more than that, because 535 x 8 = way more speed than my processor can really attain ;)

So go looking for vTT or FSB voltage options in your bios and give those a little bump... You might be pleasantly suprised. Also, don't forget that quad cores are more stressful on your northbridge, so give it a bit more love too while you're there.

No need to start doubting the 45nm quads yet. We all knew the FSB wall was going to be a problem but come on people...he hasn't even changed any voltages for his mobo yet.

Keep up the good work torin, I'll be interested in your final results.

Ok, more results. 410x8, for 3.28Ghz.

xeon8.png

xeon9.png

I am STILL only set at 1.250 Vcore with 1.2V actual and 1.176V under Prime95. No other settings (other than DRAM volts to keep it from bumping too high) have been moved off of auto.

Temps are showing between 55°C and 60°C on CoreTemp under prime load.

Back