• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My first home network (Questions)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Noose

Registered
I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction. While browsing through the DirecTV channels last evening I ran across a message regarding their On Demand service that is currently in Beta. After a bit of research I found the service could be accessed by connecting the HD DVR to the internet via an Ethernet connection. I currently receive my internet via DSL, and my modem hooks directly to my computer (I am not networked).

I figured this was as good as time as any to set up my home network. As I understand it and please correct me if I am wrong…I should be able to purchase a router and network my PC, Laptop, and DVR? I am hoping to get a bit of feedback regarding which router I should purchase. The research that I have done has been pretty inconclusive as all the products seem to have some negative feedback, and thus I turn to the great community here.

Basically what I am looking for is
1) Network 1 PC, 1 Laptop and 2 DVR's
2) Primarily a gamer (FPS and MMORPG) so I want to be able to prioritize my bandwidth usage to my PC, and reliability is a must.
3) Compatible with DSL, however plan to jump on the Fios bus when it arrives (It is stopped just down the block from me now)
4) Want to be able to direct connect my PC and DVR's via CAT-6. I would only consider wireless for my Laptop connection however that is not needed (All can be wired)
5) I would prefer to stay under $100 US, however would go as high as $150.
6) Ease of set up

Do I have this right? Thanks in advance for all your help!

Modem
]
]
Router
[---------]----------]
[ ] ]
PC DVRx2 Laptop

I'm not too sure about strictly wired routers but a WRT54GL with DD-WRT is great, QoS support for bandwidth prioritization, although this is only a 10/100 switch.

I would stay away from d-link personally, the wrt54g(l) will work just as well if not better than that d-link. I have had nothing but issues with d-link wireless products and routers. Try loading the dd-wrt firmware, it is awesome.

The wrtg5gl with tomato or dd-wrt will work well for much cheaper. Nice thing about that D-Link is the gigabit switch the gaming features.

now another question is

are you going to have to make a wire run from your Router to your DirectTV receiver? you will have to keep that in mind :)

now another question is

are you going to have to make a wire run from your Router to your DirectTV receiver? you will have to keep that in mind :)

Ya, figured I could pick up some CAT-6 for about $40 and run it through the crawl space. Easy enough and much more reliable than going wireless. Is there a good wired router for under $100 that would meet my needs?

you could check this out you can flash the router with DD-WRT which would really suite your needs

however, if you want gigabit, then i could possibly try to find something in the 100 price range, but it might be a dlink :p i think there was a linksys for around 130 that was wifi N

wireless routers are more or less the way to go really. if you dont want the wifi you could always turn it off in the options :)

Back