• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

X1950GT folding question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SniperXX

Basically I have a P4 HT 2.8GHz (w/ 1GB ram) system just sitting. I want to be able to make it into a extra gaming rig for when friends come over. I found the X1950GT for $90 open box newegg. I figure when someone isnt using the rig I could run the GPU client. The question is what kind of PPD would this get? Or am I better off just running the cpu client and getting a different video card?

Thanks in advance.

The GPU client will produce significantly more than the P4 running a standard client... however, Folding is very tough on GPUs and power draw. I don't have any exact numbers on how quickly the GPUs die after pretty much 24/7 use, but I believe 6 months - 1 year is about the going rate.

Personally, I'd pick up a more recent ATI card if you really want a backup gaming rig that will play well... I believe some HD 3xxx series are becoming available in AGP now.

The X1950 GT will make about 500 ppd. By running the GPU client and the CPU client you can make 550 ppd, which is great production on a P4 Northwood. To extend the GPUs life as a folder, use ATI Tray Tools or ATITool to run the fan @ 100%. You should get about 1 year out of the card. The GT is reputed to clock up to Pro speeds, giving you close to 100 ppd more. At 5.55 ppd/$ at stock speeds, it's up there with a Q6600 as the best bang for the buck. I wouldn't do it if I had to pay full retail which drops the bang factor to 3.5/$. For reference, a PS3 is about 2 ppd/$ and a Q6600 rig about 6 ppd/$ (at a good OC).

Last edited:
Back