• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Air Conditioning Unit?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BEEAH

I did some searching and didn't find anything on this topic. So...

As I sit in my hotel room trying to get my machine stable at 3.6GHz, I start to realise that I am freezing my *** off due to the wall mounted AC unit is blowing.

Has anyone ever routed an AC units air into a PC case before? If so, how well did it work? Any drawbacks? (Moisture?)

All I do is work in plants and every controls or electricial cabinet has a small 120V cabinet AC unit hanging on the side. I may grab one some day. /evil

It has been done before. I think they call it a chill box.
I don't know how well it works though. I think there is a problem with condensation.

Yeah, you would probably run into condensation problems somewhere in the box if you routed the AC air straight into the machine and ran it like that 24/7. But more than one person has fixed a duct to either cold outside air or to an AC unit for a little benching time. I've sat in my computer room before with the window wide open and blowing in very cold outside air with a fan right after a cold front and doing some benching myself. I had like 3 layers of clothes on plus a blanket wrapped around me, but I had a blast benching. :D

heard of it before but i would only bother for benching.

i have also done similar to muddocktor but i had my whole computer outside in -10C air. i was inside though :)

Well technically if you could get a dehumidifier to get your room to zero percent humidity then no condensation should form.

Tried the AC duct thing awhile back in Leadville, CO. at 11,000 foot elevation with almost no humidity we still produced way too much condensation to make this reliable for daily use.

Cold air on warm objects will never form condensation. You will have an issue if you remove the unit or shut it down, then you will have colder objects than the ambient temp.

eye have my box piped into the house a/c 3 ton unit ! works great !

the condonsation happens at the unit most have a drain pan just dont put it into the comp box

Back