• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sins of a Solar Empire. Pirates on or off?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I haven't really noticed it. I just do a quick pull back (2 scroll downs or so) click the planet I want, hit space to lock onto the planet and do two more scroll ups to zoom into the planet.
If you press M, it changes your zooming mode so you dont have to hit space to lock onto the planet. Just move your mouse somewhere near the planet and it will automatically zoom in on it :D

With virtually no lag :D I don't think I ever got any stuttering in that game with my system. Max settings and 4xAA at 1680x1050. The graphics are BEAUTIFUL and still manage to run amazingly. I'll see what kind of performance I can get with my 7900GS tomorrow.

PS: After EE3, I will NEVER buy an Empire Earth game again.

Run it with a trainer on so you have unlimited fleets.

when my fleets jump into systems, I have to zoom all the way in to pick individual targets!

Shut the game down last night and it was at 1.1Gb of Ram used. At that point, I do get stuttering but that is just me running out of RAM.

Mind you that I am using 8+fleets with 2-300 frigs, 50-100 cruisers and 50+ Capital ships in each fleet.

I love the game but man is it fun to set my empire up, and leave for 2 days against 4-5 AI on Unfair.

Pirates can be annoying but they are pretty predictable. Setup a choke point with nothing but defenses and shield and they will die in no time.

Windows Live

Does this mean playing online involves begging MS?

Sounds like a pretty good game

This game any fun in single player? Compared to Master of Orion 1/2 (I still play those)?

This game any fun in single player? Compared to Master of Orion 1/2 (I still play those)?

I play mostly single player. I've played a few games with others online and its fun as well. Suprisingly little lag even in a 2vs2 situation for 4 hours against AI.

The singleplayer is really good, but diplomacy could be a little better. Your allies don't seem to care if you don't help them out as long as you do their missions. I had someone say there captial ship wouldn't be destroyed if I wasn't so useless, but it hasn't soured our relationship.
Pirates are nothing more than a nuisance to me. I eventually just remove their presence because I get tired of having to maintain a bounty on someone.

Pirates on for Lan/Internet Play
Pirates off for computer play

The computer is too good at upping your bounty a 1/2 sec before the priates actually leave

If you press M, it changes your zooming mode so you dont have to hit space to lock onto the planet. Just move your mouse somewhere near the planet and it will automatically zoom in on it :D
Yeah, I had that on at first, but turned it off because of the way I scroll, I tend to move my cursor away from where I want to zoom to (habit I guess). It works better if I "lock on" to what I want to zoom to and scroll in so I am free to move my cursor wherever I want while scrolling. However that is good info for others, I'm sure some people prefer that method.

I just tried Sins with my 7900GS (overvolted, 745mhz core and 940mhz memory) and it ran smooth at max settings, 2xAA and 1680x1050 resolution. I was capping at 60FPS all the time unless I lowered the camera angle and looked towards the rest of the system. I wish other companies would at least try to get good performance and good graphics. I don't know if I've ever seen a more efficient engine. :D

Pirates off. I hate them.

As for expansion and new race, it makes sense. We still need to find out who it is that's kicking the crap out of the Vasari. I wonder how they'll keep the new race awesome while still keeping it balanced. The Vasari have nice military technology, but they're getting their asses handed to them by this unknown race. So it's going to be interesting.

I'm glad they finally patched in semi-parallel researching. It was really, REALLY horrible only being able to research one thing at a time, regardless of which tech tree it was in. It made no sense to force the military guys in their military labs researching military technology to have to wait for the civilian guys in their civilian labs to get done researching civilian technology. It MIGHT have made sense if there was just one generic research lab that did all tech, but they very clearly have it set up as two seperate facilities and trees. I'm so happy they fixed it.

I mainly play as TEC and I really regret ever having played Vasari. Why? Phase Stabilizer. That thing is SO extremely bad ***. I miss it so very dearly every time I play TEC now.

Since they added the ability turn off the pirates and fixed researching, the only gripe I have left is how slow resource gathering starts out. Holy god. It seems like it takes forever to get things up to a decent pace. It's the only thing keeping me from playing this game more often because I just absolutely dread the agonizingly slow beginning-game.

Back