• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel's Atom

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yeah they have pro articles, it was pretty good, long, but good.

One interesting thing I saw was about their R&D process. Before they said they would settle for a 1% performance increase : 2% power increase, now that is unacceptable to them. They are only doing 1% performance increase : 1% power increase. I like that mindset Intel has, and it will serve them well in the future, long live air cooling :)

Last edited:
thanks for the good read. That picture of the dime comparison is nuts. When I tell people how small these things really are, they are stunned at how they produce heat.

What's even more impressive is the Atom test platform I saw running. Intel showed me an Atom test motherboard running Windows Vista and Unreal Tournament 2004 at smooth frame rates, without so much as a heatsink on the CPU. The surface of the CPU was around 35C and it did not even need a heatsink.

Very cool! (yes pun intended!) :D

Last edited:
But how well does it crunch Seti wu's? ;)

I'll have to read the article later; thanks for the link. :thup:

in order for it to be good it needs the SSE instructions which could ad to die size and heat. as they said it has the performance of a banis/dothan cpu, though they just said centrino which covers both of those cores.

these will be good for seti heads when you can get a dual core with HT :)
though i would like to see a 8-12 core w/HT for use on desktops.

in order for it to be good it needs the SSE instructions which could ad to die size and heat. as they said it has the performance of a banis/dothan cpu, though they just said centrino which covers both of those cores.

They said 8 core CPU's will be coming in the revision of nehalem when they bring it down to 32nm, so probably 2009-2010. But when it first comes out they'll have a skull-trail type board that consumers will be able to buy that can support 2 4 core cpu's, so 16 threads there.

The first bloomfield cpu's are going to be ~1000$ though :(

XS had a thread about these lil suckers.... they are gonna be pretty friggin cheap... maybe ill be able to make a decently fast lil mini web browsing box with one deez! anandtech has had arcticles on the atom for a coupla months now... i like the fact that with this current tech they could fit the original pentium on a die thats 3mm^2 :eek: !!!

XS had a thread about these lil suckers.... they are gonna be pretty friggin cheap... maybe ill be able to make a decently fast lil mini web browsing box with one deez! anandtech has had arcticles on the atom for a coupla months now... i like the fact that with this current tech they could fit the original pentium on a die thats 3mm^2 :eek: !!!

What I thought was interesting was that they said the chip inside the iPhone was almost as good as far as price : performance : size : heat. They said this 'arm' chip was less powerful but it also used less space and less heat.

We still got a bit before we start getting super handhelds, I'm waiting for that just like the Anandtech guy :)

It actually has sse3 and ssse3 instructions so these could be wonderful for seti.

I don't think these are going to be available to the general public with motherboard manufacturers making chipsets for them. I think they're only meant for OEM electronic manufacturers for use in blu-ray players, smart phones, pdas, etc. not desktop computers

atom is not low TPD enough to be in smartphones or pda's. atom is ment for low power desktops or SSF's as people like to call them. they are also going to be used in tablet pc's and thin/low power laptops.

Better info? That anandtech article was 21 pages!! The link you gave was only one page.

Which is all most overclockers care to read anyway. Some articles are drawn out and after the 1 or 2 page peeps get distracted.

It will be interesting to see if a Neha version of the Atom is produced in the next year or so. String a bunch of them on a Die with QPI and watch the fur fly. This took 15 years to come to production. Intel has been in the embedded chip biz for a long time so we not see many desktop options but look out for the micro-controller area, these might just be a power house.

Which is all most overclockers care to read anyway. Some articles are drawn out and after the 1 or 2 page peeps get distracted.

That might be true, but what good is using something that you don't understand? Aren't we on this message board to learn?

Most are here for the fun! AT is boring that's why we have more cool folks here.

http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=6642&Itemid=1 Looks like Intel has plans for desktops. Maybe a 9 by 6 mobo is in order. We look at these little jewels as a possible folding, seti or boink solution because we can squeeze a bunch of tiny boards into a small space. The only issue I see is the need for SMP to run 4 or 8 cores. Hopefully Intel gets the idea to glue a bunch of these together and make a 16,32 or 64 core proc. If it's got the SMP and X64 then it should work.

Back