• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

400F too much for thermal paste?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Korndog

Hey guys,
i guess this isn't about cpu cooling, but I need to cool down something that will usually run at 400F or around 200c. I have a bunch of different types of thermal pastes, even some diamond paste. do you guys know if any paste can withstand that much heat for a long period of time w/o separating?

This a new one to me...lol.

Try putting several drops of each one in a pan and put it in the oven @400F. See which ones hold up.

Hey guys,
i guess this isn't about cpu cooling, but I need to cool down something that will usually run at 400F or around 200c. I have a bunch of different types of thermal pastes, even some diamond paste. do you guys know if any paste can withstand that much heat for a long period of time w/o separating?

might try emailing Arctic Silver and other TIM manufactures.

There should be thermal specs on the tube of TIM or in the manual.

Arctic Alumina
Extended temperature limits: – 40°C to >180°C

Just curious, what ARE you cooling?

check nasa page on shuttle tiles thiers a lot of good info ... no bs

nasa shuttle tiles act as insulators, not conductors, and take temps in excess of 3000 degrees. not really applicable here. not to mention the ablative materials they use the protect the TILES themselves from evaporating.

+1 for what are you cooling?

i made a plastic extruder (melts polyethylene and forms it into a shape) that uses a long screw and heating element to compress/melt the plastic. Works great for a short time, but then the heat travels back into the plastic hopper bin and melts the stuff in the bin..
so i need to cool down that end. I have plenty of different types of epoxies and silicone stuff that can stand high temp. and they work great, but I need to be able to remove heat so it has to be a thermal conductor

have you tried just pointing a big fan at the hopper? or maybe thermally insulating the hopper from the heat source so that it doesnt get as hot?

With that much heat I think just bolting (or better yet soldering) some aluminum fins to the part you need to cool would be plenty.

If you are talking about using it between your item and the fins... okay.. .wont get to 400F. The fins will start shedding the heat long before it gets there... (as long as you have enough and any air movement at all)

Just hoping you realize that the tim itself is not going to cool anyting...

thats what i'm hoping for, but i just want to be precautions. this thing is going to run continuously, for days at a time, so insulating doesn't help. Sorry, it's not reallly in the hopper, but the prehopper stage. this is where it's hot enough to get all the plastic pellets to stick together, but not hot enough to travel down the extruder screw so it just clogs the whole thing.

Back