Page 1 of 48 1 2 11 ... LastLast
    Senior2 Member
    10 Year Badge
    Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile SETI Profile

Post Chimp Challenge '08 *Official Thread*

Wow the past year seem to have flown by and it's already time for another Chimp Challenge! For those of you new to OCF or the Team 32 folding team, for the past two years we have had a race against the Maximum PC folding team. It originally started as our folding_monkeys subteam against their spider_monkey subteam, but it quickly turned into a team-wide race on both sides! So many people joined in the first one that we had to up the target points for the second race, and will most likely do so again this year. I linked the official challenge threads for the previous races below.

Chimp Challenge '06 winner = MaxPC
    Chimp Challenge '07 winner = overclockers.com

That means we're 1-1 so this year will put one team ahead of the other. And that team gets (or retains) possession of the coveted Jaded Monkey for the next year. The loser must guard the cursed monkey paw for the next year.

Help us keep our Jaded monkey!

To participate in the Chimp Challenge and help your fellow OCFers, run the folding@home client like normal, whichever you like, and use the username "T32monkeys" and of course, team name is still 32

Challenge Rules:

1. First team to accumulate 5,000,000 points from the start time wins.

2. Start time for the contest is May 5th at 12pm noon, Pacific Daylight Time.

3. The victor gets to claim the lucky jaded monkey as the prize. Tales have been told of untold wealth and fame that comes with this. The victorious team is allowed to display in any honorary fashion the jaded monkey, the losing team is forbidden to display it. The losing team is bestowed the dreaded monkey's paw, which is said to be cursed. People have been known for have very bad luck with this paw

4. Team captains are as follows: sno.lcn from overclockers, KingFish from MaxPC, Xilikon from [H]ardOCP, and mitsimonsta from OCAU.

5. In the event of a close race, the Stanford site will be considered the official source for points information.

6. Only with a consensus of the team captains are changes allowed to be made of the rules.

7. Team names are:
    OC -T32monkeys
    MPC - maximum_monkey
    OCAU - Monkey_b o l l o c k s
    [H] - [H]ardApe

8. Have fun, keep it positive, and enjoy the contest.

Track the race here.
    Last edited by David; 05-10-08 at 01:31 PM.

Forums Super Moderator
    Overclockers.com Lead Editor

10 Year Badge
    Author Profile Benching Profile Folding Profile

We need input on the following:
    1. There has been talk of inviting the [H] and OCAU to the race.
    2. Target points: several numbers have been thrown out there, ranging from 1 million to 10 million. Where does everyone stand on this?
    3. Same team name as last year, or do we want to pick a new one?
    4. Sweetening the pot by making the loser fold x number of days with a quad smp for the winning team. I like it.
    5. Any other concerns.
    1. The more the merrier. Sounds like an idea to invite the others. Both are really competitive teams so it should make life interesting.

2. 5 million seems like a good number to account for points inflation as well as lengthening the contest somewhat.

3. What about OCMonkeys08, MPCMonkeys08, OCAUMonkeys08 and HardMonkeys08? Something systematic?

4. A prize other than pride? Sounds like a good idea in principle. What about the loosing teams all have to put in say 30,000 points into the winning team over the course of a month? 10,000 each in an allocated username.
    David J. Nelson MChem(Edin) PhD(Strath) MRSC [ResearcherID: D-3927-2011] [Google Scholar]
    OC Forums Super Moderator // Overclockers.com Editor

The Workhorse: [Lenovo W510] Intel Core i7-720QM / 8 GB DDR3 / nVidia Quadro FX880M / Crucial M4 256 GB SSD / Windows 7
    The Home Machine: AMD Llano A6-3650 APU / 8 GB DDR3 / Lots of HDDs / Antec Dark Fleet DF-85 Case / Windows 7
    The Benchmarking Setup: Various LGA775 chips / Asus Rampage Formula / 2 GB OCZ 1066 MHz DDR2 / nVidia Quadro NVS 285 / 320 GB HDD / Windows 7 [ Untouched for well over a year ]

My research fellowship is eating all my time, so I may be slow to reply to emails and private messages.

1.) Go for it.
    2.) 1 million would be prefect.
    3.) I'm the new guy so I don't have much of an opinion. We could be tutu-wearing marmosets for all I care LOL
    4.) I agree. Lose gracefully!
    5.) I think the loser should wear something similar to my avatar LOL

Avatar in question (since I changed for comedic affect) :
    Last edited by =ACID RAIN=; 04-07-08 at 11:00 PM.
    MY HEAT | Websense who? | Windows lockdown
    Mine: Q6600 . IP35 Pro . 8GB RAM . Velociraptor 150 . Win7 Enterprise
    Wife: E6600 . GA-G31M-ES2 . 4GB RAM . Buncha drives . WinXP Pro
    Domain Controller: E6600 . GA-G31M-S2L . 2GB RAM . 36GB Raptor . 2 x 1.5TB WD Green . 2008 R2
    HTPC: E6300 . P5B . 1GB RAM . 320GB . Win7 Enterprise
    Sandbox 1: Dell Optiplex GX270 SFF (new caps) . 1GB RAM . 120GB . FreeBSD 7.2
    Sandbox 2: 3800+ X2. K8N Neo4 (new caps) . 1GB RAM . 4 x 400GB RAID0 . 2008 R2 (WDS, WSUS)
    Sandbox 3: Opteron 146 . 768MB RAM . 120GB . 2008 R2 (headless, no video, remote only)
    Laptop: Vostro 1700 . 4GB RAM . Win7 Enterprise

Folding/SETI/Rosetta Team Member benbaked's Avatar
    10 Year Badge
    Folding Profile SETI Profile Heatware Profile Rosetta Profile
    I think we need a goal higher then 1 million. Some teams are averaging around million PPD, the baked thinks 5 million sounds good.
    HEATWARE (24-0) | Folding/SETI/Rosetta (crunching BOINC as the ben.World.order)

ASUS Maximus Hero VI | Intel Core i7-4770K | EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 FTW+ Gaming 6GB | G-Skill Trident X 2x8GB DDR3 | Crucial M500 480GB
    ASUS Maximus Formula SE | Intel Core 2 Extreme QX6700 | EVGA GeForce GTX 680 FTW+ 4GB | OCZ 2x4GB DDR2 | Sandisk Ultra II 240GB
    MSI Grenade A68HM | AMD APU A4-7300 | Samsung 2x4GB DDR3 | Intel X25-M 80GB

The Chronicles of OCF Rosetta | StaTek is my hero. | R.I.P. Adak, OldSkool, pscout
    ***and especially R.I.P. Albert - my beloved pup***

Moderator #666
    10 Year Badge
    Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    1. The more the merrier. Sounds like an idea to invite the others. Both are really competitive teams so it should make life interesting.

2. 5 million seems like a good number to account for points inflation as well as lengthening the contest somewhat.

3. What about OCMonkeys08, MPCMonkeys08, OCAUMonkeys08 and HardMonkeys08.

4. A prize other than pride? Sounds like a good idea in principle. What about the loosing teams all have to put in say 30,000 points into the winning team over the course of a month? 10,000 each in an allocated username.
    I'm good with this too.

Oh, I'm in.
    To Honor Those who went before their time.
    God Bless them all
    Fight the Fight worth Fighting
    FOLD for Team 32
    IS THERE A CURE AMONG US?

Black Belt Overclocker MyHeatware under WarriorII

Quote Originally Posted by benbaked View Post
    I think we need a goal higher then 1 million. Some teams are averaging around million PPD, the baked thinks 5 million sounds good.
    But not ALL the team gets in the Chimp Challenge. TOO LENGTHY of a Contest will deter some/most. I think I nice Sprint to 2million is good.

Also the I THINK the Losing team folds for 100k points for the Winning team as a prize. Teams need to get volunteers to "pay up" in there own teams. If not the captain has to take the slack.

Edit: YAR!!!

Senior2 Member
    10 Year Badge
    If we weren't already going to win I would be willing to help out with that.

Quote Originally Posted by sno.lcn View Post
    If we weren't already going to win I would be willing to help out with that.
    YAR-right Matey!!!

I can volunteer a couple of Quads for the "prize."

Moderator #666
    10 Year Badge
    Quote Originally Posted by nitteo View Post
    YAR-right Matey!!!

I can volunteer a couple of Quads for the "prize."
    Wha????

EDIT:
    YAR !
    God Bless them all
    FOLD for Team 32

3. What about OCMonkeys08, MPCMonkeys08, OCAUMonkeys08 and HardMonkeys08? Something systematic?

I Like the idea a lot too.

How about the non-winning (hate to use the word loser) team or teams fold for the winning team the difference of the challenge result. Suppose the difference is 50K (or whatever the figure that may be) for one team at the end of the challenge, they fold that much for the winning team. Lol, I think I just confused myself. Well, for something simpler, then maybe just one SMP WU a day for a month.
    Folding in loving memory of Grandpa C. (April 2010)
    Alzheimer's and Parkinson's

But we in it shall be remember'd;
    We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
    For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
    Shall be my brother... "
    Henry V
    -Billy Shakespeare

Heatware

Senior2 Member
    10 Year Badge
    That sounds even cooler

I agree. I like 5 million too. I think most of MPC seem to like that one as well. Less than two million would make it too short IMO, and 10 million would be too long. I know each year both of our teams surpass our expectations for output so it would be best to err on the side of more points.

Sounds good in theory but each team is responsible for the nick they want to use. MPC will likely retain "maximum_monkey" from last year. It has a certain ring to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Davis View Post
    Pride was decided on two years ago. Each year this discussion comes up and it was decided that to avoid hard feelings with points payback that this formula (jaded monkey/monkey paw) would be kept. If the points weren't paid back as promised it would definitely put future contests in jeopardy and trash the credibility of the contest. I'd hate to see that happen, we manage to stir up enough drama with the smack talk.

Sno, thanks for helping get this kicked off. You're doing a fantastic job over on this side. In keeping with tradition, the kickoff will be on cinco de mayo, 12pm pacific time. I'll take screenshots from the stanford site and post them in an official place so we can base our starting points from that.

On that note, anyone have contact with seadave for the stats? If not, is someone talented with php and stats and willing to handle duties this year? I'm certainly not in that talented category. I'll be busy talking smack anyway.

Thanks!

I think I like 10 Million points. Each team seems to be producing about 1 million PPD so about 10 days at current rate and most likely quicker with the general increase in users (such as from our SETI team), so it would be more like a week. I don't think that is very long at all. And it might give me a chance to fire back up my Athlon XP and get a WU or two out lol.
    Deepthought 2.0:
    AMD FX 8320 4.4GHz Water Cooled
    ASUS Sabertooth 990FX
    8GB Patriot DDR3 2000MHz (clocked@2133Mhz)
    2x Gigabyte 550 Ti 1GB Water Cooled
    2x64GB Crucial m4's in RAID 0 + 3x500GB Hitachi HDD's in RAID 5
    Fedora 16 64-bit KDE Spin

Folding User Stats

Forums Super Moderator

10 Year Badge
    Quote Originally Posted by KingFish View Post
    I agree. I like 5 million too. I think most of MPC seem to like that one as well. Less than two million would make it too short IMO, and 10 million would be too long. I know each year both of our teams surpass our expectations for output so it would be best to err on the side of more points.

Sounds good in theory but each team is responsible for the nick they want to use. MPC will likely retain "maximum_monkey" from last year. It has a certain ring to it.

Pride was decided on two years ago. Each year this discussion comes up and it was decided that to avoid hard feelings with points payback that this formula (jaded monkey/monkey paw) would be kept. If the points weren't paid back as promised it would definitely put future contests in jeopardy and trash the credibility of the contest. I'd hate to see that happen, we manage to stir up enough drama with the smack talk.

Sno, thanks for helping get this kicked off. You're doing a fantastic job over on this side. In keeping with tradition, the kickoff will be on cinco de mayo, 12pm pacific time. I'll take screenshots from the stanford site and post them in an official place so we can base our starting points from that.

On that note, anyone have contact with seadave for the stats? If not, is someone talented with php and stats and willing to handle duties this year? I'm certainly not in that talented category. I'll be busy talking smack anyway.

Thanks!
    I'm no PHP whizz but if you were stuck I could do some stats daily by manually checking EOC. Naturally something automated would be preferable.

As to the start date, how does 1st May sound?
    David J. Nelson MChem(Edin) PhD(Strath) MRSC [ResearcherID: D-3927-2011] [Google Scholar]

The Workhorse: [Lenovo W510] Intel Core i7-720QM / 8 GB DDR3 / nVidia Quadro FX880M / Crucial M4 256 GB SSD / Windows 7
    The Home Machine: AMD Llano A6-3650 APU / 8 GB DDR3 / Lots of HDDs / Antec Dark Fleet DF-85 Case / Windows 7
    The Benchmarking Setup: Various LGA775 chips / Asus Rampage Formula / 2 GB OCZ 1066 MHz DDR2 / nVidia Quadro NVS 285 / 320 GB HDD / Windows 7 [ Untouched for well over a year ]

My research fellowship is eating all my time, so I may be slow to reply to emails and private messages.

Moderator #666
    10 Year Badge
    Challenge Rules:
    1. Challenge starts May 5, 2008, 12pm Pacific time.
    Cinco De Mayo
    God Bless them all
    FOLD for Team 32

Quote Originally Posted by sno.lcn View Post

We need input on the following:
    1. There has been talk of inviting the [H] and OCAU to the race.
    2. Target points: several numbers have been thrown out there, ranging from 1 million to 10 million. Where does everyone stand on this?
    3. Same team name as last year, or do we want to pick a new one?
    4. Sweetening the pot by making the loser fold x number of days with a quad smp for the winning team. I like it.
    5. Any other concerns.
    1. The more the merrier!

2. 10 million

3. Doesn't matter to me

4. I like the idea of making the losers fold for the winning team. Or if we are really lucky we could find a donor to donate some hardware to the winning team.

5. Do you guys fold under a sub-team name or something? I'm brand new to folding and I'm unsure how the sub-team thing works.
    CPU - E6750 @ 3.4GHz | 425x8 | 1.41V | Zalman CNPS9500 | Lapped
    Mobo - Abit P35 Pro | Bios v14
    Ram - 2x1GB G.Skill F2-6400CL5D-2GBNQ | 850 | 5-5-5-15 | 1.85V
    GPU - PNY 8800GT | 700c, 1850s, 900m | HR-03GT
    HD - 150GB raptor ADFD | Seagate 7200.7 160GB | 2x WD 640GB
    PSU - OCZ GameXSteam 700W

Moderator #666
    10 Year Badge
    We all change our User names to one single name.
    Last year it was T32monkeys.

Then we pulled out the stops & fired up the Steam Roller.

It's still out back, we gave it a New Paint job for this Year.

It took forever to get all that monkey poo off!!
    God Bless them all
    FOLD for Team 32

Forums Super Moderator

10 Year Badge
    Quote Originally Posted by WarriorII View Post
    Cinco De Mayo
    D'oh I'm going blind!

Quote Originally Posted by WarriorII View Post
    We all change our User names to one single name.
    Last year it was T32monkeys.

Then we pulled out the stops & fired up the Steam Roller.

It's still out back, we gave it a New Paint job for this Year.

It took forever to get all that monkey poo off!!
    Gotchya
    CPU - E6750 @ 3.4GHz | 425x8 | 1.41V | Zalman CNPS9500 | Lapped
    Mobo - Abit P35 Pro | Bios v14
    Ram - 2x1GB G.Skill F2-6400CL5D-2GBNQ | 850 | 5-5-5-15 | 1.85V
    GPU - PNY 8800GT | 700c, 1850s, 900m | HR-03GT
    HD - 150GB raptor ADFD | Seagate 7200.7 160GB | 2x WD 640GB
    PSU - OCZ GameXSteam 700W

Senior Member that
    wants to Be Banned
    Premium Member #16

10 Year Badge
    Author Profile Folding Profile Rosetta Profile
    No more then 5 mill lets keep it short and sweet.

I would rather just do the traditional reward(Sno if you know something we don't PM us)

Displaying that monkey Paw is suffering enough(I can't stand the sight of it!)
    #1Win10/HTPC/Gaming CPU,4690K(Corsair H70),Asus Z97IPlus Mini iTX, G skil 16GB RAM, GPU Gigabyte 970GTX, Corsair 750W, Case HAF Stacker 915F, Crucial 500GB SSD, HD 4TB(Plus 6TB external) Asus 28" 4K, Logitech 700s Mouse, Razer Blackwidow Chroma V2(Yellow Switch)
    #2Win72600k@4.5GHZ(Hyper212+)Msi P67 G65 16GB RAM, Gigabyte GTX 970, Corsair 850W
    Phones:One+64GB, Nexus 6,5 and 4,N7, iphone 6S, and 5
    RIP Danny..You made the world a better place 1989-2015, Folded for Tim and his wife, Mark and his wife,Pete_Scout , Oldskool and Adak..."He was the Best of us".

Page 1 of 48 1 2 11 ... LastLast