• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Chimp Challenge '08 *Official Thread*

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sno.lcn

Senior2 Member
Wow the past year seem to have flown by and it's already time for another Chimp Challenge! For those of you new to OCF or the Team 32 folding team, for the past two years we have had a race against the Maximum PC folding team. It originally started as our folding_monkeys subteam against their spider_monkey subteam, but it quickly turned into a team-wide race on both sides! So many people joined in the first one that we had to up the target points for the second race, and will most likely do so again this year. I linked the official challenge threads for the previous races below.

Chimp Challenge '06 winner = MaxPC
Chimp Challenge '07 winner = overclockers.com

That means we're 1-1 so this year will put one team ahead of the other. And that team gets (or retains) possession of the coveted Jaded Monkey for the next year. The loser must guard the cursed monkey paw for the next year.

Help us keep our Jaded monkey!

image.php

To participate in the Chimp Challenge and help your fellow OCFers, run the folding@home client like normal, whichever you like, and use the username "T32monkeys" and of course, team name is still 32 :D

Challenge Rules:

1. First team to accumulate 5,000,000 points from the start time wins.

2. Start time for the contest is May 5th at 12pm noon, Pacific Daylight Time.

3. The victor gets to claim the lucky jaded monkey as the prize. Tales have been told of untold wealth and fame that comes with this. The victorious team is allowed to display in any honorary fashion the jaded monkey, the losing team is forbidden to display it. The losing team is bestowed the dreaded monkey's paw, which is said to be cursed. People have been known for have very bad luck with this paw

4. Team captains are as follows: sno.lcn from overclockers, KingFish from MaxPC, Xilikon from [H]ardOCP, and mitsimonsta from OCAU.

5. In the event of a close race, the Stanford site will be considered the official source for points information.

6. Only with a consensus of the team captains are changes allowed to be made of the rules.

7. Team names are:
OC -T32monkeys
MPC - maximum_monkey
OCAU - Monkey_b o l l o c k s
[H] - [H]ardApe

8. Have fun, keep it positive, and enjoy the contest.

Track the race here.

Last edited by a moderator:

We need input on the following:
1. There has been talk of inviting the [H] and OCAU to the race.
2. Target points: several numbers have been thrown out there, ranging from 1 million to 10 million. Where does everyone stand on this?
3. Same team name as last year, or do we want to pick a new one?
4. Sweetening the pot by making the loser fold x number of days with a quad smp for the winning team. I like it.
5. Any other concerns.

1. The more the merrier. Sounds like an idea to invite the others. Both are really competitive teams so it should make life interesting.

2. 5 million seems like a good number to account for points inflation as well as lengthening the contest somewhat.

3. What about OCMonkeys08, MPCMonkeys08, OCAUMonkeys08 and HardMonkeys08? Something systematic?

4. A prize other than pride? Sounds like a good idea in principle. What about the loosing teams all have to put in say 30,000 points into the winning team over the course of a month? 10,000 each in an allocated username.

1.) Go for it.
2.) 1 million would be prefect.
3.) I'm the new guy so I don't have much of an opinion. We could be tutu-wearing marmosets for all I care LOL
4.) I agree. Lose gracefully!
5.) I think the loser should wear something similar to my avatar LOL

Avatar in question (since I changed for comedic affect) :
gertrude_1989_1.jpg

Last edited:
I think we need a goal higher then 1 million. Some teams are averaging around million PPD, the baked thinks 5 million sounds good.

1. The more the merrier. Sounds like an idea to invite the others. Both are really competitive teams so it should make life interesting.

2. 5 million seems like a good number to account for points inflation as well as lengthening the contest somewhat.

3. What about OCMonkeys08, MPCMonkeys08, OCAUMonkeys08 and HardMonkeys08.

4. A prize other than pride? Sounds like a good idea in principle. What about the loosing teams all have to put in say 30,000 points into the winning team over the course of a month? 10,000 each in an allocated username.

I'm good with this too.

Oh, I'm in.

I think we need a goal higher then 1 million. Some teams are averaging around million PPD, the baked thinks 5 million sounds good.

But not ALL the team gets in the Chimp Challenge. TOO LENGTHY of a Contest will deter some/most. I think I nice Sprint to 2million is good.

Also the I THINK the Losing team folds for 100k points for the Winning team as a prize. Teams need to get volunteers to "pay up" in there own teams. If not the captain has to take the slack.

Edit: YAR!!!

3. What about OCMonkeys08, MPCMonkeys08, OCAUMonkeys08 and HardMonkeys08? Something systematic?

I Like the idea a lot too. :thup:

How about the non-winning (hate to use the word loser) team or teams fold for the winning team the difference of the challenge result. Suppose the difference is 50K (or whatever the figure that may be) for one team at the end of the challenge, they fold that much for the winning team. Lol, I think I just confused myself. Well, for something simpler, then maybe just one SMP WU a day for a month.

I agree. I like 5 million too. I think most of MPC seem to like that one as well. Less than two million would make it too short IMO, and 10 million would be too long. I know each year both of our teams surpass our expectations for output so it would be best to err on the side of more points.

Sounds good in theory but each team is responsible for the nick they want to use. MPC will likely retain "maximum_monkey" from last year. It has a certain ring to it.

Pride was decided on two years ago. Each year this discussion comes up and it was decided that to avoid hard feelings with points payback that this formula (jaded monkey/monkey paw) would be kept. If the points weren't paid back as promised it would definitely put future contests in jeopardy and trash the credibility of the contest. I'd hate to see that happen, we manage to stir up enough drama with the smack talk.

Sno, thanks for helping get this kicked off. You're doing a fantastic job over on this side. In keeping with tradition, the kickoff will be on cinco de mayo, 12pm pacific time. I'll take screenshots from the stanford site and post them in an official place so we can base our starting points from that.

On that note, anyone have contact with seadave for the stats? If not, is someone talented with php and stats and willing to handle duties this year? I'm certainly not in that talented category. I'll be busy talking smack anyway.

Thanks!

I think I like 10 Million points. Each team seems to be producing about 1 million PPD so about 10 days at current rate and most likely quicker with the general increase in users (such as from our SETI team), so it would be more like a week. I don't think that is very long at all. And it might give me a chance to fire back up my Athlon XP and get a WU or two out lol.

I agree. I like 5 million too. I think most of MPC seem to like that one as well. Less than two million would make it too short IMO, and 10 million would be too long. I know each year both of our teams surpass our expectations for output so it would be best to err on the side of more points.

Sounds good in theory but each team is responsible for the nick they want to use. MPC will likely retain "maximum_monkey" from last year. It has a certain ring to it.

Pride was decided on two years ago. Each year this discussion comes up and it was decided that to avoid hard feelings with points payback that this formula (jaded monkey/monkey paw) would be kept. If the points weren't paid back as promised it would definitely put future contests in jeopardy and trash the credibility of the contest. I'd hate to see that happen, we manage to stir up enough drama with the smack talk.

Sno, thanks for helping get this kicked off. You're doing a fantastic job over on this side. In keeping with tradition, the kickoff will be on cinco de mayo, 12pm pacific time. I'll take screenshots from the stanford site and post them in an official place so we can base our starting points from that.

On that note, anyone have contact with seadave for the stats? If not, is someone talented with php and stats and willing to handle duties this year? I'm certainly not in that talented category. I'll be busy talking smack anyway.

Thanks!

I'm no PHP whizz but if you were stuck I could do some stats daily by manually checking EOC. Naturally something automated would be preferable.

As to the start date, how does 1st May sound?

We need input on the following:
1. There has been talk of inviting the [H] and OCAU to the race.
2. Target points: several numbers have been thrown out there, ranging from 1 million to 10 million. Where does everyone stand on this?
3. Same team name as last year, or do we want to pick a new one?
4. Sweetening the pot by making the loser fold x number of days with a quad smp for the winning team. I like it.
5. Any other concerns.

1. The more the merrier!

2. 10 million

3. Doesn't matter to me

4. I like the idea of making the losers fold for the winning team. Or if we are really lucky we could find a donor to donate some hardware to the winning team.

5. Do you guys fold under a sub-team name or something? I'm brand new to folding and I'm unsure how the sub-team thing works.

We all change our User names to one single name.
Last year it was T32monkeys.

Then we pulled out the stops & fired up the Steam Roller. :D

It's still out back, we gave it a New Paint job for this Year.

It took forever to get all that monkey poo off!!

We all change our User names to one single name.
Last year it was T32monkeys.

Then we pulled out the stops & fired up the Steam Roller. :D

It's still out back, we gave it a New Paint job for this Year.

It took forever to get all that monkey poo off!!

Gotchya

No more then 5 mill lets keep it short and sweet.

I would rather just do the traditional reward(Sno if you know something we don't PM us:D)

Displaying that monkey Paw is suffering enough(I can't stand the sight of it!:eek:)

Back