• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XP won't load

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Starfire_MK2

Hi all.
Ok, I'm trying to install XP. I've tried both upgrading from WIN98SE, and installing XP in a seperate partition (I've got 5 partitions on my drive). Either way I try it, after the system reboots for the first time (the files seem to copy over ok), and select XP setup, the system hangs at the "Starting Windows" screen. My system config:

Duron 750 @1 gig (7.5x133)
192 MB Micron PC133
GeForce 2 GTS o/c'd 200/350
Audio Excel sound card
1 cd rom
1 cdrw
30 gig ATA 100 Maxtor hd

Any ideas?

If I understand right, you've dual booted? I had the same problem but was able to get around it by loading XP first. You may want to try that :confused:

Dr.

I know other people have had this problem but I can't seem to find anything on it:( . I did read something interesting though...A dual boot is more likely to work if 98 is installed first.

One other thing you may want to try is a clean install. If you have an upgrade version of XP there will be no problem if you have a full version of a previous version. At some point during installation, it will ask you to insert a full version. Insert into CD, it'll read the disk and continue w/ the install.

Try doing a clean install. It's about the only thing I can think off.

Dr.

I got it! It was just the built-in sound blaster that was causing the problem. I disabled it, and XP loaded fine-yes, while o/c'd!
Thanks to all who replied!

Back