• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Don't you love when you forget about general maintenance?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Special7

So I neglected the dust in my computer, there was quite a bit on my 7900GT KO, it was idling at around 62-65C, a little compressed air brought it down to 38C. I need to make it a monthy thing again I have been slacking off.:clap:

Can't wait to get a full fledged air compressor! Then I won't need those pesky cans anymore.

careful with air compressor's

#1 PSI is a killer for components
#2 You need filters if you are going to use them on electronics. Running compressed air without filters will be disaster as it does not filter Oil or water and that stuff will blow right into your computer.

careful with air compressor's

#1 PSI is a killer for components
#2 You need filters if you are going to use them on electronics. Running compressed air without filters will be disaster as it does not filter Oil or water and that stuff will blow right into your computer.

Good points I hadn't considered. It's easy enough to control the PSI, and just be careful about getting too close to components. The oil & water is no good, though. Do they make filters for this application?

Ive used the air straight out of the compressor for ~13 years now, and no ill effects. The computer I used it on is now dead, but only because I scavenged it, not anything related to the air. As long as you get a fair quality compressor, you should be fine.

Good points I hadn't considered. It's easy enough to control the PSI, and just be careful about getting too close to components. The oil & water is no good, though. Do they make filters for this application?

Check the thread in cyberdeals recently about compressed air cans.

I've seen that thread, but never ventured in.

I may be able to get a full-size air compressor w/ all attachments (guns, ratchets, etc) from Carquest for free through my wife's bonus program, so I may get it anyways. It'll be nice for working on the car, and will come in very handy for the PC as well. I'll have to get that filter mentioned in the canned air thread as well.

Thanks for the heads-up!

Ive used the air straight out of the compressor for ~13 years now, and no ill effects. The computer I used it on is now dead, but only because I scavenged it, not anything related to the air. As long as you get a fair quality compressor, you should be fine.

same here i have used a straight air compressor for a long LONG while... its the original air compressor my dad built our house with before i was born... 20 yrs ago.... if you have a good one you will have NO problems with oil residue... and moisture just drain the tanks fairly often and you will be fine.... i have been using it on all my computers since i got into computer 6 yrs ago.. always used it at its max 125 psi... and NEVER had any problems.

as for dust build up... this is my ultra 120 after 4 months of not touching it with the comp runnin 12-14 hrs a day with a yate loon low speed at 6v....

P3020071.JPG

I clean mine out once the dust is visible, it just looks bad. Now with my new case though, all the intakes are screened, and I keep positive pressure, so not much of a problem there either.

So I neglected the dust in my computer, there was quite a bit on my 7900GT KO, it was idling at around 62-65C, a little compressed air brought it down to 38C. I need to make it a monthy thing again I have been slacking off.:clap:

I make sure that all my air intakes have replaceable dust filters on them. Whenever a little gray ring of dust forms on the filter, I know it's time to swap it out with my spares. Then I simply wash the dirty filter with water and place it next to my case to dry, so they are ready by the next time I need to swap out filters.

This really helps in keeping dust out of the case. I use CM stackers with 3 120mm fans all in the front, so the filters are about 4" X 12". The airflow when the PC is on keeps the filter 'stuck' onto the fans, so I don't need to attach the filter mechanically (I leave them on 24/7).

I use this material:

http://www.purapc.com/

Last edited:
I've seen that thread, but never ventured in.

I may be able to get a full-size air compressor w/ all attachments (guns, ratchets, etc) from Carquest for free through my wife's bonus program, so I may get it anyways. It'll be nice for working on the car, and will come in very handy for the PC as well. I'll have to get that filter mentioned in the canned air thread as well.

Thanks for the heads-up!

I have one of those mini air compressors and you just buy a small water trap that has a built in filter from Home Depot that you put in after the vessel exit, work well to keep the air clean and dry

Back