• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

next game to push the graphical envelope?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

uzibear

crysis has killed our machines, what's next? is there anything on the horizon? i'm hoping not, wallet needs a break ;)

alan wake maybe ? haze ? farcry 2 ? Fallout 3 ?

theres going to be a couple of games coming out im sure will make pc crawl like crysis

alan wake maybe ? haze ? farcry 2 ? Fallout 3 ?

theres going to be a couple of games coming out im sure will make pc crawl like crysis

Farcry 2 will be on par with crysis when it will come to system reqs, maybe even lower. (Farcry 2 will have to be playable on consoles too)

it will be interesting to see farcry 2 and how close it comes to crysis eye candy wise and if it's on par which game has the more efficient engine.

Is Far Cry 2 at all based on the original Cry Engine or is it entirely new tech?

I think that there is something to the suggestions that PC developments will be dictated by the capabilities of consoles from now on. Crysis and UT3 were serious flops and as a result I think we really are moving to high end PC games just being console ports with higher resolutions and some better textures. I doubt that many graphical envelope pushing games will be released for PC until the next gen of consoles come out.

Having said that, this might be a good thing as devs may start experimenting in other ways, like free ad funded games, games which actually run on most computers or even (god forbid) innovative storylines.

Last edited:
ShhhhT I want a game to push the gameplay envelope.

I'm sure Far Cry will present a challenge.

The new Total War release might push on graphix. Also the new release of a X3 game might also be intense on eye candy and such.

Alan Wake might push the processor envelope by effectively using a quad core. I'm not sure about pushing the graphical envelope though.

Well, the new Stalker expansion seems to be full DX10, it has volumetric smoke and fire which looks awesome. I'm going to be playing this just for the graphics and see how it taxes my system (it'll have a quad in it by then.

You guys are right on Alan Wake being CPU taxing, looking forward to that. Who doesn't enjoy hurricanes? :D

AvP3? All I've heard has been news about Aliens: Colonial Marines, is that what you guys mean or is it something else?

Dawn of War II looks like it could be a taxing game, despite it using a heavily modified version of the engine used in Company of Heroes it looks extremely detailed.

I'm not sure about Far Cry 2, I'm half expecting an SLI system of 2 high end cards to run this game without any problems, it doesn't appear to be quite as detailed as Crysis, but it's hard to judge from the videos. I'll be playing it regardless. Oh and >HyperlogiK< I'm pretty sure Far Cry 2's engine called "Dunia" is brand new but I'm not sure so don't quote me on that. :D

I just hope Stalker Clear Skies doesn't crash whenever I try loading my save games. I can't play a game that I can't load. So I just gave up and uninstalled it.

ive heard farcry 2 will be worse on our machines than crysis is, and alan wake also looks very pretty along with the new stalker too, would be my bet!

though i want all 3 now!! on max settings...!!!!:(

Think about it, STALKER with DX10 and the bugs fixed. It might be my game of the year.

/RANT -- I do not work for GSC Gameworld by any means, I just LOVE STALKER.

The original STALKER got many nominations, but I don't know if it got any official GOTW. I know it got "Best Atmosphere" and "Hidden Gem" of 2007 from Games for Windows. And reader's choice for "Most Surprisingly Good Game" and as well "Best Atmosphere". Those are just a few top awards I can recall.

STALKER is by far one of the most immersive games I have ever played. I have explored every inch of landscape in that game and have found nothing but pure awesomeness in it's design.

ENDRANT

Personally. I think Huxley is gonna do some damage. UT3 engine for MMO play? I know it really scales well for older machines; but rendering that much on screen is gonna need some serious memory buffering.

Last edited:
I also have much love for STALKER great game (bugs aside) the community is great..and some really awsome mods and skins and such for the game. Atmosphere, and balistics is what really shine in this game. I noticed the other night while in a shoot-out that when I missed, the bullet would hit past the intended target and ricoshae (sp) and see the bullet hit elsewhere...never seen that in a game before.

Fun times.

Back