• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

processor choice?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I would get what ever is going to give you better performance in CAD. I know it is pretty dependant on the GPU so do a bit of research and figure out if a quad will benefit you in that program. If so go with it. 3.4Ghz is almost a sure thing on a G0. With an E8400 3.8Ghz is pretty much a sure thing. (Yes both typically will go farther but lets look at the worst case scenario). The dual will give you better gaming performance but will 5FPS really make that big of a difference if you can get better performance in CAD?

Now if gaming is the primary purpose with just a bit of CAD thrown in on the side then just go with the dual.

lol Read my sig, 4GHz with proper cooling etcetera is definitely doable. But I would recommend the 8400 as well, would have grabbed that myself, but they were out of stock as usual! lol

I went for the E8400, its able to clock to 4.0 ( and a trained monkey could OC it to that !) so I knew I could too. I leave it at 3.6 just because I don't see a huge jump in performance from 3.6 to 4.0 , but I do see it run warmer , so for the summer I'll pass on them 400 Mhz.

** I got my 7th star :)

quad is nice now, but dual is still ok and more than most need, I just built a dualcore rig 2 weeks ago! now when Nehalem comes out late 2008-early 2009, I am going QUAD <3

In most newer games quads are going to rule even with a slower clockspeed, and since CAD works best on 4 cores generally I'd say a quad hands down.

Since CAD is in the mix. Myself, I would look to the higher clocked quad with the most L2. Then push that as far as I could. Gaming will do just fine. To me the CAD takes front row. They are hungry apps for L2 and core Mhz.

Completely forgot you mentioned you use CAD, people laughed at me when I grabbed 8GB of RAM. Well yesterday I was multitasking and I used up 98% of my available! lol Let's see I was, using Photoshop, downloading 25GB worth of HD content VIA uTorrent, downloading bunch of old tv episodes using eMule, converting HD to DVD, surfing the web....oh and listening to music! My cores where chugging along let me tell ya.

Point of this is, CAD is very CPU and RAM intensive, go with the Q6600 or greater if you're a multitasker like myself. If you just plan on gaming etc. For now the cream of the crop for gaming IMHO is the 8400, if you can get your hands on one!

Back