• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help!! XP spontaneously reboots

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TeuffelHunden

At random points XP will spontaneously reboot on me. For example, when burning a cd, or playing a game. But sometimes it reboots when I just open internet explorer.

I'm not overclocked right now, and my temps are good. So I know it's not a heat issue. There has to be an underlying problem, I just can't figure it out.

Any have this same problem, or a fix?

Thanks in advance

i had the same problem with XP. i have been running 98 lately b/c i didn't want to deal with XP's bugs. maybe your memory timings are too fast?

from what I've seen with my system, due to o/c'ing it, XP is very picky about settings being changed, or not being set right. You may want to check your mem timing just to be sure. Also, what proggy do you burn with? There is an update on Windows Update for compatibility issues with Nero 5.5, and a CD Burner compatability update also. As far as the games...are they made for 95/98/Me? Sometimes XP will run a 98 Game with having to check the compatability mode...only to crash in the middle of it. Check this out...good luck!

TeuffelHunden said:
At random points XP will spontaneously reboot on me. For example, when burning a cd, or playing a game. But sometimes it reboots when I just open internet explorer.

I'm not overclocked right now, and my temps are good. So I know it's not a heat issue. There has to be an underlying problem, I just can't figure it out.

Any have this same problem, or a fix?

Thanks in advance

Have you turned off reboot on error. If not goto control panel/system/advanced/startup and recovery click on settings then un check automatically restart. you should now get the bsod that was causing the reboot.`

TeuffelHunden said:
ok...I've turned off the reboot.
Will the bsod tell me what the error is?

Also...I used the built in burner for xp.

What should my memory setting be? (just want to be sure I have it right)

It should give you information that should help you run it down. It may be a little cryptic so you may have to do a little digging. As to the memory try setting it at what it is marked at and go from their.

Back