• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

water cooling radiator in coolbox with water and ice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

makamba

i live in curacao with a room temp of 28-32 degree celcius (82-89) fahrenheid)
and i was wondering if i can get a good water cooling system if i disassemble the fan from the radiator and put the radiator in a coolbox with water and ice? would it work good with a good radiator with a water temp of 0 degree celcius (32 degree farenheid)
( i can get the ice free so its not a problem if it uses a lot of it to keep the water icy)
THANS IN ADVANCE!

check out this

i think this is pretty close to what you are asking about. just make sure oyu take into account condensation formation because you are going sub-room temp.

also... your water will be freezing at that point.

i would think a coil set up (or some type of drum like in the link above) would work great. just be cautious how much you are going to cool your liquid so you dont start solidifying it!

Freezing wouldn't be a problem. You can't freeze water with ice, especially if you have some additives to your liquid (radiator fluid). Condensation is your real problem. This could be a good idea if you are just trying to see how high you can overclock or running benchmarks. It probably isn't the best idea for a 24/7 solution. You will have to add ice every day and drain the tub. It will be a PITA.

Nice, but too bad your fridge will likely crap out on you as its not made to continously cool a heat load... ;)

Nice, but too bad your fridge will likely crap out on you as its not made to continously cool a heat load... ;)

Don't use a fridge. Here is the sticky on our forums.

Why a mini fridge won't work:
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=373263

Yeah I know but it still sounds like fun :D What about a 5.5 cu ft chest freezer? Stocked with old frozen stuff and maybe dry ice(yeah I know it "melts" but dry ice is cheap here and the store is only 10 miles away from me) I would be inclined to use a non freezing liquid of course. I'm going to look more into a "vapochill" style cooler for my cpu and cards. The main thing holding me back from that would be the noise and power draw of the unit itself.

Why does everyone have the fridge idea...
We've all had it at one point. Most just don't know how to think through it properly or know that the compressor isn't made for running all the time. Not to mention it is the same technology as a phase cooler, so the ideas are very similar; just implemented differently.

Yeah I know but it still sounds like fun :D What about a 5.5 cu ft chest freezer? Stocked with old frozen stuff and maybe dry ice(yeah I know it "melts" but dry ice is cheap here and the store is only 10 miles away from me) I would be inclined to use a non freezing liquid of course. I'm going to look more into a "vapochill" style cooler for my cpu and cards. The main thing holding me back from that would be the noise and power draw of the unit itself.
Doesn't matter. A freezer and fridge are not made to constantly cool something. You put something warm/room temp in and it chills it; that is it. The food isn't constantly heating up, like a computer would. You would be much better off making an actual chiller or just going phase.

Bottom line: Fridges/freezers do not work to cool computers.

We've all had it at one point. Most just don't know how to think through it properly or know that the compressor isn't made for running all the time. Not to mention it is the same technology as a phase cooler, so the ideas are very similar; just implemented differently.

Doesn't matter. A freezer and fridge are not made to constantly cool something. You put something warm/room temp in and it chills it; that is it. The food isn't constantly heating up, like a computer would. You would be much better off making an actual chiller or just going phase.

Bottom line: Fridges/freezers do not work to cool computers.

Yeah figured as much.

What type of chiller are you talking about? Fill me in :D

Looks like someone was reading the archives? How old is this thing, lol. I saw the email alert and was pretty confused.

There are a few methods:

Chillers: The best way to do it is have a normal loop with a chiller before the CPU block. This means that the warm water is cooled to [near] room temperature then pushed through a chiller to lower the water temp right before it goes into the block. Insulation may be needed on the block/chiller.

Peltier: This is a device that, when powered, "moves" heat from one side of the unit to the other. Normally, you will get one that has more wattage output than what your processor is capable of dumping. The cold side goes on the processor and the hot side is cooled by a normal water cooling loop. You insulate the processor socket and nothing else since the loop is above room temperature. Downside is you have to cool the processor output plus the peltier. So, if your processor is 150w and the peltier is 180w, you have to have a block/loop that can cool 330w.

Phase: Same concept as a fridge, but instead of having the evaporator being the inside of the fridge (which then cools the air), the evaporator is directly bolts to the processor itself. You can buy pre-made units, pay someone to make one for you or make one yourself. This is for advanced users and can hit some amazingly low temps, even under load.

Old threads are fun!

I made a "slushy box" once...worked pretty well.

Get a 110 window unit air conditioner, take it apart and put the cold part in a beer cooler filled with a mixture of anti-freeze and alcohol. In said cooler I set my heat exchanger, a heater core from a Chevy pickup, and added it to my loop which was also running a mixture of alcohol and antifreeze. I used a fish pond pump as they can really take a beating and don't freeze up like my Swiftec one would a -10c. Run the AC for about 30 minutes and my mixture temps would drop down to about -20c...loop temp would run -18c on a good day. I ran a few CPUs under this contraption...most would load temp around 5c -10c. The darn thing would provide hours of cool bench time. It was a fun weekend project just made up of old stuff in my garage...just for chits and grins.

My neighbors thought I was making meth I think. :rolleyes:

Attachments

• slushboxpart1007.jpg
    slushboxpart1007.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 2,172
  • slushboxpart1010.jpg
    slushboxpart1010.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 2,480
  • 3slushyboxpart3022.jpg
    3slushyboxpart3022.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 2,422
Old threads are fun!

I made a "slushy box" once...worked pretty well.

Get a 110 window unit air conditioner, take it apart and put the cold part in a beer cooler filled with a mixture of anti-freeze and alcohol. In said cooler I set my heat exchanger, a heater core from a Chevy pickup, and added it to my loop which was also running a mixture of alcohol and antifreeze. I used a fish pond pump as they can really take a beating and don't freeze up like my Swiftec one would a -10c. Run the AC for about 30 minutes and my mixture temps would drop down to about -20c...loop temp would run -18c on a good day. I ran a few CPUs under this contraption...most would load temp around 5c -10c. The darn thing would provide hours of cool bench time. It was a fun weekend project just made up of old stuff in my garage...just for chits and grins.

My neighbors thought I was making meth I think. :rolleyes:

that's pretty sweet man...I like the idea a ton

Back