• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Should I overclock or underclock my RAM??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zollen

Registered
My Q6600 @ 3.4Gz P5E (380MzFSB). Should I overclock my Ballistix Tracer DDR2-1066 to higher frequency, or lower the frequency to 761Mz (1:1) and tighten the timing. I am mostly gaming!

My Q6600 @ 3.4Gz P5E (380MzFSB). Should I overclock my Ballistix Tracer DDR2-1066 to higher frequency, or lower the frequency to 761Mz (1:1) and tighten the timing. I am mostly gaming!
You will definitely not be able to detect any differences with your eyes regardless of how you set the memory speed and timings. You would have to use a framerate counter to measure the performance, but my guess is that the differences will be so small that it's not worth your time. Now if you're really into benchmarking, then tinking with the memory timings might be beneficial.

higher frequencies with loose timings should about equal lower frequencies with tighter timings. In general anyway, of course all the variables will sway it one way or the other. But basically what KillrBuckeye says is true, you probably won't notice the difference. I can run my RAM at ddr2-800 4-4-4-12 or ddr2-1000 4-4-4-12 and I don't really notice the difference. Perhaps if I was benching I would see it, but otherwise it doesn't really seem to matter.

Back