• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CAK38-II Too Loud!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PhatKirby

I just built my computer about 2 weeks ago.
And now, my CAK38-II HSF is really starting to annoy me.
I can't leave my computer on overnight, and I'm gonna need to.
I'm running a AMD Athlon XP 1900+ with a AK31 Shuttle Mobo.
Anyone have suggestions on which HSF I can get that will keep my processor cool, and keep my eardrums from being permanently damaged?

What HSF's are you guys running, and how's the noise level?

PhatKirby,
I bought me that same heatsink (CAK38-II three weeks ago). I CANNOT stand that hairdryer noise coming out of my computer. Ten minutes is ok, but anything over that gets me insane. I tried to mod the fan to run at 7 volts, but my CPU temp raise 10 degrees C to 55 under load. These copper heatsink are great, but ONLY if mated with an extremely high speed fan.

I ordered me a Millennium Glaciator the other day and just got it yesterday. Very quiet compared to the CAK38-II, BUT AT ALMOST THE SAME PERFORMANCE! With the CAK38-II and the high speed Delta fan, I get 45 C load. With the Glaciator, I get 45-46 C load. Be warned the Glaciator 1 is very heavy, even heavier then the CAK. But it's easier to install. I'm very happy with it. Millennium Thermal Solutions has it for sale right now for $20.

http://www.millennium-thermal.com/onlinestore.htm

BTW, I also modded my case by putting a side case fan blowing cool air from outside right onto the CPU. This lowers my load temp by 5 degrees to 40, while running Prime95.

If you have good air flow in the case add some more case fans and put the side panels of the case on.

Before without my case on 40dBA sounded pretty loud. With my case panels on it sounded like 0dBA :)

If you have extra cash, sell the CAK-II and buy water cooling rig.

If not sell it anyways and get a Millennium Glaciator its only 40dBA and its one of the best heatsinks and trust me you'll live through it with all the case fans you barely hear it from 2-3 meters.

Thanks for all of your comments. Anyone know the amout of noise in dBA the CAK38-II makes?
Which glaciator should I get? The original or the II?

Back