• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GeForce 9900 GTX & GTS Slated For July Launch

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

redrumy3

The first 2 models from the GeForce 9900 series will be 9900 GTX and 9900 GTS instead of 9900 GT we reported earlier. It seems Nvidia has decided to launch them as early as July to counter RV770 and steal the performance crown away. Nvidia has earlier confirmed GT200 existence and revealed that the GPU has about 1B transistors. Our sources are suggesting a 512-bit memory interface with GDDR3 memories for GeForce 9900 GTX using P651 PCB and a 448-bit memory interface for the GeForce 9900 GTS.

http://www.vr-zone.com/articles/GeForce_9900_GTX_&_GTS_Slated_For_July_Launch/5718.html

Interesting.

I wonder why they wouldnt put a 512bit interface on both

Its just like the original G80 8800gts and gtx...

Indeed. Also it seems nVidia still loves their GDDR3.

Why should they go to gddr4 or 5 which has looser timings and more expensive for the same clockspeed as gddr3... yes gddr4 gets to like 2400mhz with gddr3 at about 2000-2200... but take tigher timings of gddr3 with a 448 or 512bit buss and you cant even come close bandwidth wise using even the fastest clocked gddr4 or 5 on a 256 bit buss.

Oh this getting silly. They could have probably skipped the 9800s entirely.

I knew this was going to happen... 9800s are just ocd 8800's no different...

either way i am VERY happy to see nvidia not stepping backwards on the buss width like they did from g80 to g92!

Why should they go to gddr4 or 5 which has looser timings and more expensive for the same clockspeed as gddr3... yes gddr4 gets to like 2400mhz with gddr3 at about 2000-2200... but take tigher timings of gddr3 with a 448 or 512bit buss and you cant even come close bandwidth wise using even the fastest clocked gddr4 or 5 on a 256 bit buss.

If the rumored stats of the HD 4870 are true, it's going to squeeze 1935mhz DDR5 in there for an effective memory speed of 3870mhz.. Memory bandwidth of 123gb/s. Compare that to a GTS-512 with 62gb/s, both using a 256 bit memory bus.

If the rumored stats of the HD 4870 are true, it's going to squeeze 1935mhz DDR5 in there for an effective memory speed of 3870mhz.. Memory bandwidth of 123gb/s. Compare that to a GTS-512 with 62gb/s, both using a 256 bit memory bus.

@ 512bit buss all you would need is some gddr3 @ 967mhz (1935 effective) to get the 123gb/s of claimed bandwidth from the ati side of the fence... and gddr3 undoutedly has much tighter timings than this gddr5 ....honestly i take every ati rumor with the smallest grain of salt... ever since the x2900 rumors of absolutly killing the G80's when they released they were just under par of nvidias offerings...

Bandwidth is more important than latency for video cards iirc, not that poor latency is a good thing. GDDR5 speeds are so rediculous it will be neat to see cards using it because it will lower the total cost, the PCBs will be much simpler and the GPU memory controller too, and increase performance.

These are going to be the $500-600 flagships so I'm interested in a purely academic manner, the NV naming schemes have been screwed up for every card in the last year. Some competition would finally be good.

I'm sure there will be one, but it wont be released at the same time as the high end cards. It might be a few months until we see one. Which is a shame because high end cards are so expensive. We'll have to see what ATI's cards do because they are supposed to be cheaper.

hrmm, decisions decisions, wait and see if 9900gt's come out or get a 9600gt now...i guessif i bought an evga card i could step it up when the time came

Don't you have an 8600gt right now? You should probably go ahead and get the 9600gt. You can always step up to these cards later if you want.

hrmm, decisions decisions, wait and see if 9900gt's come out or get a 9600gt now...i guessif i bought an evga card i could step it up when the time came

Buy a 9800gtx now and step up later. I'm doing it.

I wonder what the prices will be...

Kinda have the feeling both companies try to fool the other's industrial spies with false infos which media informers also receive so we have these confusing contradicting rumors floating around.

Don't you have an 8600gt right now? You should probably go ahead and get the 9600gt. You can always step up to these cards later if you want.

the 8600 is XFX and yea i am not really liking it but i am probally going to sell it to a friend because they have a 5200 PCI.

i cant drop the coin on a 9800gtx right now but probally be able to afford a 9900gt when they come out.

@ 512bit buss all you would need is some gddr3 @ 967mhz (1935 effective) to get the 123gb/s of claimed bandwidth...

These are going to be the $500-600 flagships

these two points taken together imply to me that a 9900GTX is the same bang for the buck as a current 9800GX2.

9800GX2 is 128gb/s for $600

am i missing something? shouldn't these better or cheaper than that?

It would awesome if they came out with the 9900GTX for $450, it won't happen, but it would be nice. I finally got a new job so hopefully by the time these come out the other system components I would like to purchase as a new build will be cheaper to help compensate spending the extra bucks on a top-of-the-line graphics. I got a 20" 1600x1200 display now, but want to switch to a 24" for high resolution gaming and want the bandwidth to turn on some eye candy.

Now... a little over two months to save up for everything, I'm going to love my credit card bill once these come out.

Back