Thread: water additive.

Registered

water additive.

I orderd some water additve from sidewinders . The black stuff. unfortunatly they use ups which sucks. Wont deliver if you dont have a mailbox . And it hasnt been but 10 hours and they sent it back . Now if i were sidewinders and i wanted to keep my business i would of had it overnighted . but they didnt so they lost anyone i knows business. Like the freaking thing would fit in a mailbox .WTF . FEDx has no proublems i just had 400$ drooped off here 2 weeks ago withno mailbox . Any way my proub is that i havnt added any additives to it and i dont want alge . What can i do ? plz help before i go beat the crap out of ups lady.

If you are only using distilled water at the moment then add something like this:

http://www.royalpurple.com/radiator-additive.html

with a few iodine drops to kill algae.

Only add enough to make the water color change a little.
    Main System:.................................................. ......................Second System:
    DFI BloodIron P35-T2RL w/ Q6600 GO@ 3.2 (9x360), 1.4v....DFI Ultra-D w/Opteron 170 @ 2.7
    G.skill 4GB (2x2gb).................................................. ..............G.Skill Extreme 2GB (2x1gb)
    HIS 4850 680/1108.................................................. .............Nvidia 7600GT
    WD VRaptor 300gb/Seagate 1TB..........................................Raptor 74gb/Seagate 200gb
    OCZ GameXtreme 600SLI

only need the iodine, nothing else unless you are mixing metals

Quote Originally Posted by saxile View Post
    only need the iodine, nothing else unless you are mixing metals
    Not totally true. I will never use just distilled water and iodine, no matter if I have mixed metals or not.

Additives generally give you better heat dissipation properties.
    Main System:.................................................. ......................Second System:
    DFI BloodIron P35-T2RL w/ Q6600 GO@ 3.2 (9x360), 1.4v....DFI Ultra-D w/Opteron 170 @ 2.7
    G.skill 4GB (2x2gb).................................................. ..............G.Skill Extreme 2GB (2x1gb)
    HIS 4850 680/1108.................................................. .............Nvidia 7600GT
    WD VRaptor 300gb/Seagate 1TB..........................................Raptor 74gb/Seagate 200gb
    OCZ GameXtreme 600SLI

Registered
    ty fellas

that's a common misconseption, water transfers heat better by itself that polluted with other chemicals, the only reason cars use antifreeze is to raise the boiling point and lower the freeze point of the water, it cannot carry heat at all. Such as back in the day watercooling gurus used waterwetter, but was later found to hamper cooling performence instead of helping as stated on the label, with our kind of cooling sytem it's designed to work better with just water and biocide, would be different with alu rad and blocks as those coolant additives are designed for alu and not copper. That's why most people now-a-days will order just a dye and a biocide, such as ptnuke, iodine, etc.

Cheers, sax

Quote Originally Posted by saxile View Post
    that's a common misconseption, water transfers heat better by itself that polluted with other chemicals, the only reason cars use antifreeze is to raise the boiling point and lower the freeze point of the water, it cannot carry heat at all. Such as back in the day watercooling gurus used waterwetter, but was later found to hamper cooling performence instead of helping as stated on the label, with our kind of cooling sytem it's designed to work better with just water and biocide, would be different with alu rad and blocks as those coolant additives are designed for alu and not copper. That's why most people now-a-days will order just a dye and a biocide, such as ptnuke, iodine, etc.

Cheers, sax
    Matter of opinon then, I have always had better results with an additive over plain distilled water.
    OCZ GameXtreme 600SLI

Matter of opinon then, I have always had better results with an additive over plain distilled water.
    How can it be a matter of opinion?
    E8600 @4.5Ghz 1.4v
    Asus Rampage Formula
    4x2G G.Skill DDR2 1066
    2 MSI 4850s CF
    750w PC Power & Cooling
    TT Armor
    Dtek Fuzion-MCW60-MCP655-'77 Bonneville HC (I have car parts in my computer)

Quote Originally Posted by CGR View Post
    Additives generally give you better heat dissipation properties.
    My understanding is just the opposite. Pure water has the best thermal transport properties, and any addition to it alters that essential nature. That's not to say that unaldulterated water is the only way to go, though. As far as dissipation, isn't that a function of your exchanger and fans?
    i7 940, HK 3.0 LT WB, ASUS P6t DLX V2, GTX 480 SLI, BP FC blocks, Win7U 64bit
    Corsair Dominator GT 1600 6gig, MM Ext. Ascension AL case
    2x655-B pump-EK top, 2x120.3 Coolgate rads+6xCorsair SPC120 HP fans
    XPSC dual bay res+T-line, Distilled + Silver
    X-Fi Fat. Pro PCI-e, Enermax Galaxy 1250 watt
    5x2tb WD Caviar Black, 150g RaptorX

My Heatware.

Quote Originally Posted by Rickpatbrown View Post
    How can it be a matter of opinion?
    Precisely because there are so many opinions when it comes to coolant mixtures. Water-cooling is in the final analysis simply a form of thermal management, but it's also a hobby for many of us. This being true, people ARE going to try different things, regardless.
    i7 940, HK 3.0 LT WB, ASUS P6t DLX V2, GTX 480 SLI, BP FC blocks, Win7U 64bit
    Corsair Dominator GT 1600 6gig, MM Ext. Ascension AL case
    2x655-B pump-EK top, 2x120.3 Coolgate rads+6xCorsair SPC120 HP fans
    XPSC dual bay res+T-line, Distilled + Silver
    X-Fi Fat. Pro PCI-e, Enermax Galaxy 1250 watt
    5x2tb WD Caviar Black, 150g RaptorX

My Heatware.

exactly, also because not everyone is in a controlled enviroment things may not be as they appear, just one small change in any giving thing can throw any type of measurements off, for example same set up, just taking off and reseating a lock will give you different temps.

I use either 90% distilled, 10% antifreeze, or 95% distilled and 5% Zerex Racing antifreeze, and have never had any buildup or growth problems. Zerex does stain cheap tubing though. A drop or two of Dawn to help reduce surface tension helps too.

I run my setups for 6-8+ months without servicing, folding 24/7. The inside of my Swifty 6002 is damn clean.

One solution to additives, run black Tygon tubing with 100% distilled water, and flush your system thoroughly before putting it together. If sunlight can't get to it, it can't grow.
    :|: i5 2500 - ASUS Maximus IV GENE-Z/GEN3 - Vengance 8GB 1600 kit - EVGA 760 GTX Superclocked 2GB - Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD :|:
    :|: D-TEK Fuzion v.2 - QP320 - Liang DDC :|:

.:|:. Heat .:|:.

silver tubing works great, or a small block of silver in the res works just as the silver tubing, also just a quick fyi, antifreeze doesn't stop algae, just metal reactions, antifreeze is only harmful to critters with livers and kidneys.

I have NEVER had a problem with running 5% Zerex and algae.

What about a good clear water additive? I was looking at Petra Nuke. Opinions?

works just fine, an aquarium biocide works just as well too, on a side note, antifreeze, straight, grows algae, as that's what we use for coolant at work, course we run the temps of it at about -10c so straight antifreeze is a must, even at those temps, algae forms in it

Wants Old Title Back
    Didn't Get It
    I use Nuke. It's fine. The bottle will do gallons, need 2-3 drops max per loop. Should last me 10 drains and refill minimum. Actually, TONS of WCers use it.
    I want my old title back.
    Old beast is torn down.
    Will update later.

900 watt (1500VA) UPS
    27" ASUS VG 3D/Nvidia V2 3D glasses and 24" Acer H243H