• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ps2 128mb memory card, am i being duped?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
It's model hc2 10060 - can't find any hits for google on it, but 10020 comes up as 16mb. Are there really 128mb cards out there?

oczk1.jpg

("real 128mb" on the packaging sounds a bit odd...)

its a cheap 3rd party card, some are ok but its a crap shoot

I've been using a "playmax" 16mb for a while and had no problems - with the "ill-feeling" about these cheapie cards, does it just mean it won't hold the data very long, or it just plain won't work? The ebay seller has a 99% feedback rating. Anyway, the reason I got it was because the cheapest cards I can find in my state are $35 for 16mb, same price for a sony, this one is $8 + $8 tax

("real 128mb" on the packaging sounds a bit odd...)

They probably say 'real' because there are some cheapie cards that use compression to 'double' the size. Card that says 16MB on the package is really 8MB with compression applied, like the way tape drive makers used to market their stuff (and maybe still do?)

The catch is you have to insert their loader disc before your game, too much hassle, and if that disc scratches or breaks, kiss all your saves goodbye.

I was fine with a single 8MB card since launch day, until FF12 arrived. I bought a new card just for that game.

A 16 meg card is just two 8 meg cards stuck together. The PS2 CANNOT READ 128 megs. You can't even make a card that big when playing PS2 games on your PS3. Some third party cards are good... but a cheap box like that with no name?

Don't do it.

What about 64? That's the lowest size for memory cards I can find on ebay (well, out of 200 results, there are about 2 "genuine sony 8mb" ones...). Especially cards dressed up like the following, do sony even make ones larger than 8's?

87295556_tp.jpg

No they do not. If the card isn't REALLY made by Sony, Madcatz, Datel, or Pelican DON'T BUY IT.

16 megs works because that's the max the PS2's magic gate can read. The card probably tricks the system into thinking there's one 8 meg card in each slot. 64 Megs would not work.

Back