• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SLI Setup problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yes part registry, part Windows Explorer. We would have to do remote assistance or similar. A clean install will also fix it if done properly ;)

The one other option that might work is System Restore, you should have a check point prior to the first driver install attempt.

Yes part registry, part Windows Explorer. We would have to do remote assistance or similar. A clean install will also fix it if done properly ;)

The one other option that might work is System Restore, you should have a check point prior to the first driver install attempt.

Ahhhh...Remote assistance wont work for me on this rig. I only installed a copy of windows for testing purposes and really shouldnt connect to the internet with it. Its not activated and I only planned on using it for a few days to mess around before I put XP x64 on here for the long run.

I think Im going to bag it for the night and try a clean reinstall tomorrow. Thats an easy thing to do if it will fix everything. Lesson learned though......put your rig together out on a bench station before you install your water loops!!!! Getting in there now to remove/swap GPUs/etc is going to mean redoiing the better part of the GPU loop :p

Thx for the help thus far :)

Try System Restore - it's under Help & Support > Pick a Task. Find the earliest image and then try the driver install again when it's finished.

Wait guys, SLI is at your reach here, all you have to do is to go into Nvidia control panel and enable SLI, no need to get into registry editing etc

this is how i install SLI.

1. single card running.
2. turn machine off.
3. install 2nd card.
4. turn machine on.
5. once on, machine will see new card - i don't install new hardware via software.
6. uninstall current drivers
7. clean out current drivers Via safe mode.
8. restart
9. Install new drivers
10. restart
11. enable SLi in control panel.
12. restart
13. bench or game.

Enable SLI in control panel? Whats that? You mean the SLI utility that pops up in the syste tray?

So I have a problem here.

Did a clean reinstall.

Installed chipset drivers.

Installed WQHL 169.21 and before it finished it auto rebooted!

I guess that would lead me to believe that its not a program conflict error?

Im going ot dry a different driver set. This is getting very frustrating :(

Very frustating.

Every time I install 169.21 it reboots before it finishes.

Im trying another driver set.

Any idea on why that happens???

Wow....I need a break.

To be honest Id rather be at work cleaning ****, which is where I am going to go and what I am going to do.....

169.44 installed successfully.

SLI capable system popped up.

Clicked enabled SLI and apply.....froze for a sec, then I had some weird funky red distortion box in the upper left corner of the screen, then BSOD with error on nv4_disp.

Rebooted, and now Im not booting into windows.

Ill have to go into safe mode I think and clean some things up.

Jesus this isnt supposed to be this dificult........

Ive only been at it for 45 mins this am and I allready need a frustration break. NOT a good sign for accomplishing much today.....

Last edited:
Heres a few more details for anyone that wishes to offer advice.....

When installing 169.21 everything starts ok. I get a black screen flash when the drivers for the first card are installed (this is normal I see if every time I install Nvidia drivers) then a reboot before card #2 drivers are installed.

When installing 169.44 I get a black screen flash for card #1, then a black screen flash for card #2, then it says drivers installed successfully do you want to reboot now?

Then I rebooted, got the SLI capable machine option pop up, and BSOD as mentioned above.

Any ideas?

Obviously anything that states NV4 is the nvidia drivers....but what the heck could be happening?

It shouldnt be a bad SLI bridge because I do get the SLI capable option.

It shouldnt be a bad PCIe 2.0 slot since the card is recognized, and on occasion thoughout the past 24 hours Ive gotten the SLI capable option to pop up.

It STINKS of a driver issue to me.......right?

But what? How? How to fix?

Heres a brief update where I am at.......

Part of my problem was that I had both GPUs connected to the monitor.

Like I said this is my first SLI ever and I was unaware that you only needed to connect 1 GPU (closest to northbridge) to the monitor. Unplugged 1 monitor cable.

I can consistently get both GPUs recognized in device manager appropriately with the Nvidia drivers installing ok..

I can consistently get the SLI enabled machine popup to start.

When I click APPLY on the Nvidia control panel to activate SLI, my screen immediately goes black with a blinking cursor on the top left corner of the monitor. It stays like that for about.....60 seconds or so, and then I get a small red "artifact looking" box on the left upper corner of the monitor and everything freezes. After about 2 minutes I get a BSOD and a reboot, or just an auto reboot.

From then on when I try to load into windows, I get a BSOD that flickers and either I hang, or reboot.

When I remove/clean the drivers/boot into safe-mode everything is good.

Any suggestions? Im close I can feel it.....but something still isnt right and I cannot complete the SLI install.

Is it at all possible that some of this is because my monitor isnt made for SLI or something? It shouldnt be as far as my understanding of the topic goes.....My monitor is a Samsung 226 BW 22 inch. Im not saying its NOT sli enabled, but Im not 100% sure either.

Yes I know.....22 inch is way way way too small for GTS G92s in SLI, but Im going to upgrade the monitor very very soon.

Thanks so far guys :)

Last edited:
Show us the rest of your system, CPU, memory, PSU and other stuff, Are you trying this things in default or in OC state

Back