• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2(3850's 256mb) or 1(8800GTS g92) ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Colton H

What would be a better choice, 2x 3850 256mb cards in xfire or just one 8800 gts 512 there price is almost about the same roughly 20-40$ difference. I do not really know what one to pick at the moment, but looking towards the 2 3850s. At the moment I am running a 7600GT in my rig and it just doesn't keep up anymore.

I play at 1650x1200 res. I will try to run everything max with AA on. I play COD4, CSS, EE3, any MMO that is out at the moment, WAR, AOC.

Also another question, is this motherboard ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131196 ) crossfire compatible?

Thank you.

Both card choices are good, either option will be night and day better than your current 7600gt.

Yes, that board supports x-fire. The blue and black PCI slots are both 16x according to the specs.

Only issue with the ATI cards is that they are 256mb....that is going to limit you at that res by quite a bit.

Only issue with the ATI cards is that they are 256mb....that is going to limit you at that res by quite a bit.

Was thinking that also. My current res is 1600x1200 so I am not sure if 256mb will be enough to run COD4 with AA on and such. This puts me on the 8800GTS side a little bit. Still decideing..

Was thinking that also. My current res is 1600x1200 so I am not sure if 256mb will be enough to run COD4 with AA on and such. This puts me on the 8800GTS side a little bit. Still decideing..
With 256, AA is a definite NO. Even in WoW (1920x1200) and 2xAA I pull 380ish mb of memory being used and that is a pretty old game ;).

If you played at 1280x1024 with no details turned up, the 3850s MIGHT make sense, but anything above that, the 256MB is going to kill performance. GTS for sure.

If you played at 1280x1024 with no details turned up, the 3850s MIGHT make sense, but anything above that, the 256MB is going to kill performance. GTS for sure.

I don't know about that. I have a 1950gt and I play at 1280X1024 w/ 4xAA and I have no problems doing so. COD4 isn't that taxing of a game, just getting whatever you can find cheaper would be the best bet.

Thats not true at all.

Playing 2x3850s at 1680x1050 yields a solid 35 FPS in Crysis on high and using the latest drivers at stock. When OCed even slightly I get up to 42. I run all my games, including wow, at this res with no issue whatsoever.

The 256mb is not very limiting, but there is also a 512mb version.

Is that with AA on? Like I said above, I'm in the 380's when I'm playing WoW.

Newer games will eat up that 256 quickly. At this point, it isn't a very wise decision if you want to keep the system without upgrading to play games in the future.

Is that with AA on? Like I said above, I'm in the 380's when I'm playing WoW.

Newer games will eat up that 256 quickly. At this point, it isn't a very wise decision if you want to keep the system without upgrading to play games in the future.

Thats literally as high settings as it supports, so yes.

Thats not true at all.

Playing 2x3850s at 1680x1050 yields a solid 35 FPS in Crysis on high and using the latest drivers at stock. When OCed even slightly I get up to 42. I run all my games, including wow, at this res with no issue whatsoever.

Are you using the 512mb versions? If so, it's not a valid comparison..

Basically, 3850's win in 3dmark (ATI always seems to win there :p ) but the 8800GTS wins just about everywhere else, especially when AA/AF are on. http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/1246/1/page_1_introduction/index.html

I'm pretty sure the cards in that article are the 512 versions, expect around 5% less performance for the 256's..

I'm not saying they're the fastest cards in the world. Nowhere in this thread did I mention that. What I am saying is that your assessment was wrong. I'm not limited to such a small resolution. Please avoid making assumptions like this.

I would always prefer a single card to a dual GPU setup. Apart from cost, you have less heat, less power consumption, no headache regarding SLI connectors, better case air flow and also spending less money on aftermarket HSF's.

If were you, I would mod the hell out of your current card and run it till the wheels fall off. Then go for a high-end card based on your budget.

I would always prefer a single card to a dual GPU setup. Apart from cost, you have less heat, less power consumption, no headache regarding SLI connectors, better case air flow and also spending less money on aftermarket HSF's.

If were you, I would mod the hell out of your current card and run it till the wheels fall off. Then go for a high-end card based on your budget.

I agree they are easier. I swtiched from a 2900xt to 2x3850s, so the power is just about the same, and the heat is actually less. In some cases it makes sense, others it does not. Running 2 2900s in CF would be a nightmare. My friend does it and he needed a new case for it.

Back