• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Reinstalling Windows XP on Dimension 9150

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zulfy26

I'm trying to reinstall windows xp home onto a dell 9150 and after you press any key to boot from CD it hangs with a black screen. I've tried using a dell branded xp home/pro, slipstreamed sp2 home/pro cd's and nothing has worked. Any thoughts?

If there is nothing you need on the drive, try formatting it first then install XP.

Was the original hard drive IDE or SATA?
If it was IDE, you may have to go into the BIOS and enable the SATA ports or assign the new SATA drive as the boot drive.
I have encountered some Dells that will hang for a while before the XP setup will continue.
If you have to wait for more than 10 minutes, then I would say that it's not going to continue.
I have had to experiment with the BIOS settings on other Dells in order to reload the operating system.
You may want to try that.

Good luck!

Only way I could get this to work was to disable AHCI and enable ATA mode for the SATA drives. Strange, considering the new driver is newer than the old drive.

Back