• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Where to buy built high end computer?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DumpALump

Need help finding places to find customized computers for a friend.

So far I can think of

Dell
Alienware

Anyone else who does some high end stuff?

Like SSD, 9800, etc etc

-MAINGEAR EPHEX SKULLTRAIL (pc-ephex-skulltrail)
$8,955.00 $8,955.00

Customizations:

Exterior Automotive Color: Black Brushed Aluminum Finish

Power Supply: 1200W Silverstone DA1200 Power Supply

Motherboard: Intel D5400XS SKULLTRAIL Motherboard

Processor: Dual Intel QX9775 Core 2 Extreme QUAD CORE Processors REDLINE @ 4GHz - This is NOT a typo!

CPU Cooling: Maingear Arctic DUAL 120mm CPU Water Cooling System

Memory: 8GB 800MHz FB-DIMM Memory (4x2GB)

$316.00

Do you want us to Redline™ your CPU?: YES

Hard Drive One: Western Digital Raptor Enterprise 150GB 10K RPM 16MB Cache - SATA

Hard Drive Two: Western Digital Raptor Enterprise 150GB 10K RPM 16MB Cache - SATA

RAID: RAID 0 - Increase and speed up your storage array (requires 2 or more HDDs)

Flash Card Reader: All-in-One Internal USB 2.0 Flash Card Reader & Writer

Optical Drive One: 20X Dual Layer DVD±RW Drive w/ LightScribe Technology - black

Video Card: NVIDIA® GeForce™ 9800 GX2 1GB GDDR3

$-310.00

Do you want us to Redline™ your GPU?: YES

Sound Card: Integrated 8-channel High Definition Audio

Network Card: Dual Gigabit LAN

Game: Yes, Give me 3 FREE Games!

Operating System: Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate (64-Bit) SP1

The Final Finesse: Flawless Hand-crafted Wiring and Cable Management

Warranty: 3 Year Maingear Warranty

Reconfigure EPHEX SKULLTRAIL
Product Subtotal: $8,961.00

Total: $8,961.00
If you built this yourself, you might save ~$2k
This is an insane build and not recommended unless you've just won the lotto :eek:

EPHEX INTEL/X-FIRE (pc-ephex-Intel-XFire)
$3,138.79 $3,138.79

Customizations:

Exterior Automotive Color: Black Brushed Aluminum Finish

Power Supply: 1200W Silverstone DA1200 Power Supply

Motherboard: Intel Bonetrail 2 DX48BT X48 Chipset DDR3

Processor: Intel® E8400 Core2™ Duo (4.0GHz x 2) REDLINE™ - Requires Water Cooling Option

CPU Cooling: Maingear Dual 120mm X20 CPU Water Cooling System

Memory: 2GB Kingston HyperX DDR3-1800 PC3-14400

Do you want us to Redline™ your CPU?: YES

Hard Drive One: Western Digital Raptor Enterprise 150GB 10K RPM 16MB Cache - SATA

$170.00

Flash Card Reader: All-in-One Internal USB 2.0 Flash Card Reader & Writer

Optical Drive One: 20X Dual Layer DVD±RW Drive w/ LightScribe Technology - black

Video Card: 2x ATI Radeon HD 3870 1GB in Crossfire

Do you want us to Redline™ your GPU?: YES

Sound Card: Integrated 8-channel High Definition Audio

Network Card: Dual Gigabit LAN

Game: Yes, Give me 3 FREE Games!

Operating System: Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate (64-Bit) SP1

$95.62

The Final Finesse: Flawless Hand-crafted Wiring and Cable Management

Warranty: 3 Year Maingear Warranty

Reconfigure EPHEX INTEL/X-FIRE
Product Subtotal: $3,404.41
You can save ~$1k if you built this system.

If you bought all your own components and DIY, you could save even more.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help guys. This isn't for me (I build my own). This is for a friend who used to build his own PC's, but the problem is he doesn't want to deal with having to pull apart a machine and return parts when they fail (happened to his last computer). He just wants to get a 3-5 year warranty and have them give him a new computer if something goes wrong.

But Maingear makes everything awesome and coats it in car paint!

Tech support is the guy who built and overclocked your rig as well.

It's certainly not cheap at all, but imo it's the best boutique.

Example of Maingear WC rig:
46.jpg

Heh. Lol @ failure prone bay res. :D

Btw, you can get anyone to paint your rig for you. Just go ask some guy that paints motorcycles for a living, he will do it for about 200-750 dollars depending on what you want.

Thanks for the help guys. This isn't for me (I build my own). This is for a friend who used to build his own PC's, but the problem is he doesn't want to deal with having to pull apart a machine and return parts when they fail (happened to his last computer). He just wants to get a 3-5 year warranty and have them give him a new computer if something goes wrong.
What does he think is going to happen when a part DOES fail? He will have to call tech support, they will trouble shoot it for hours (when he could probably do it in less time), then they have to send him a part and he has to put it in. OR, he has to send his ENTIRE computer in so they can work on it. Either way, he either has to change out the part anyway or be without a computer.

Add the additional cost and it is a lose lose situation.

What does he think is going to happen when a part DOES fail? He will have to call tech support, they will trouble shoot it for hours (when he could probably do it in less time), then they have to send him a part and he has to put it in. OR, he has to send his ENTIRE computer in so they can work on it. Either way, he either has to change out the part anyway or be without a computer.

Add the additional cost and it is a lose lose situation.

Mac

I dont see how paying 1000-2500 dollars more for a pc will make the customer service any better...
Newegg has a great rma system. I sent them an lcd that came scratched and I had a new one within 3 days. No customer service or anything, just calling them and telling them that the screen had a huge scratch. Same for my video card. It came DOA, evga had replaced it withing 2 days. Also, with swiftech, some of my tubing had small cracks in it and I asked if they could send me about a foot of tubing because no store near me had any. The next day I had 8 feet of tubing at 8 am. As long as you buy from good companies, you will not have problems returning things.

Btw, yeah I know, I have had a lot of bad luck with this rig lol...

look at it this way...

my friend just bought an Alienware with the same specs as the rig i'm building and he spent $3400 on it, not to mention he's waited about 2 months already for them to "customize" it for him and he is finally just getting it this week.

i, on the other hand, am spending a little less than $700 on mine. granted, he's also getting a 22" monitor but i already have one and i doubt a 22" monitor is worth anywhere near the difference in costs.

imo just tell your friend to stop being lazy and save himself some money.

:welcome: to the forums SoumaKyou.

I agree, alienware isnt top of the line either. They also take months to customize the dang thing. My friend once waited 4 months for them to do some minor tweaks, and by the time his pc came in, it already had old hardware.
A 22" monitor isnt too expensive either. I just picked up an HP 2207w for only 250 at tigerdirect, instead of the regular 350-400 on other sites.

Back