• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Tinning the tip of my Iron?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Colton H

Yea I am very new to soldering and what does Tinning the tip of an Iron mean?

Bout a new 15/30W Soldering iron from RadioShack for bout' 10$..

Tinning the tip ensures that there is a uniform coating of solder over the copper tip. CO2 in the air degrades the copper tip, so you want to have a uniform coating of solder on your tip at all times. To accomplish this a "tinner" is used. It is basically a compound that melts and causes the solder on your tip to re-distribute itself evenly. Costs about $2-3. :)

Yea I am very new to soldering and what does Tinning the tip of an Iron mean?

Bout a new 15/30W Soldering iron from RadioShack for bout' 10$..

Tinning refers to coating the tip with a layer of solder. Basically, just melt some on and spread it well. A moist sponge or similar is good to wipe the tip frequently as well. It shouldn't be dripping off - just a thin coat.

The layer of solder helps conduct heat better to the point you are soldering, as well as protects the tip from oxidization. Once it's tinned, you shouldn't try to wipe the layer off after use - but do frequently 'clean' it with the damp sponge, and apply more solder as necessary. (optimally, the tip should be a shiny, smooth, silver color)

Back