• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is it possible to increase RPM of a 80mm fan?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Colton H

Well I was just wondering if it is possible to increase the RPM of a 80mm fan to lets say, 12,000-15,000 RPM or more as apposed to maybe a 5,000 RPM fan? If it is, how would one do so? Giving it more amps? Would the fan just not respond after such a limit? Yes I know this would make the fan very loud but I am kind of bored and just want to mess around with some old fans that I have lying around..

Well, you CAN, it is just a question of how far until it either melts or the blades explode.

You would want to give it more voltage :)

The main thing I would be worries about (if the motor doesn't die) is the integrity of the fan blades. If you are looking at a cheapo fan, I wouldn't trust the blade design to hold up to 15k rpms.

Last edited:
There pretty strong fans in my opinion. They have been hit several times by my screw driver and fingers at full RPM without a nick. They seem to be pretty thick plastic.

I think the only way is to test em' out I guess haha..

There was a topic around here somewhere talking about a mod controlling the rpm of a fan but I cannot find it. I wonder if I could do something like a 5k,10k,15k rpm switch just for kicks.

If your PSU will take it, try plugging in the power lead to 12v and the ground to -5v. That will have to be through the ATX 20/24 pin plug. That would be 17v.

12v and -12v would be 24v, and would fry it for sure over an unknown amount of time. Sure would be funny to see though.

if it has one of those temp sensors you can wrap thin wire around it. as the probe gets hotter resistance in the probe drops, so you fool it into running at 100%

if it has one of those temp sensors you can wrap thin wire around it. as the probe gets hotter resistance in the probe drops, so you fool it into running at 100%

or just short it with some solder. :D

If you make them spin too fast, wont they take off...? I mean, seriously, I have a 5000 rpm 80mm fan that cant even stay standing up without mounting it, the damn thing keeps on falling backwards...

If you make them spin too fast, wont they take off...? I mean, seriously, I have a 5000 rpm 80mm fan that cant even stay standing up without mounting it, the damn thing keeps on falling backwards...

um i don't think so the pressure that the fans develop wont be enough to counter the weight of the fan (same reason hovercraft don't fly more than a few inches off the ground). i would guess that your fan only falls over because the it only needs to overcome a relatively small force to fall over, due to the small base area. but if you have a fan that can i can see some interesting case mods in the future......

Hehehehe...gotta try the balsa wood fan mod sometime...or maybe find a way to rig up a fan to a hard drive platter and have some sort of pin you can pull and watch the thing fly away lol...

Back