• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WRT54GL vs WRT54G

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

majinwar

Hey guys, the place where I usually buy stuff hasn't had the GL for quite some time, so I am wondering if the WRT54G with DD-WRT firmware will do just as good as the GL??

If there's a really good reason I should wait for the GL, please let me know. :)

I do beleive the GL does run linux, but the G might not, I do beleive the GLs are more supported via WRT firmwares.

the WRT54GL has the hardware of the original WRT54G v4, the GL runs linux stock, and is very easy to put other firmware on it.

There are other routers that can use DD-WRT. Asus wl-520gu is the only one I know off the top of my head that is widely available, it also has a newer, higher clocked chip in it than the WRT54GL. Most Buffalo routers work as well, but they are hard to find.

Hey guys, the place where I usually buy stuff hasn't had the GL for quite some time, so I am wondering if the WRT54G with DD-WRT firmware will do just as good as the GL?

No, the GL has twice the RAM and flash RAM as the current non-GL versions. You can't even run the full version of DD-WRT on the non-GL version because of the lack of flash RAM, and the non-GL version is often less stable under load / over time because of the shortage of RAM. There's no way around these problems with firmware; they're cost-cutting measures at the hardware level.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linksys_WRT54G_series

So I suggest having it ordered into the store or getting it elsewhere or online.

^

Yeah I beleive buffalo routers are banned in the USA, not sure why.

here's the readers digest version...
CSIRO (patent troll company that doesn't actually sell any product... just collects patents) thinks they own wireless through some patent. lawsuits ensue. judge (who thought the movie Idiocracy was a documentary) says that above patent troll owns an IEEE standard that infringes on their product that... doesn't exist because they don't make a product but they.... own the idea of... no wires. Here's their patent. If they win it will be a sad day IMHO.

here's the readers digest version...
CSIRO (patent troll company that doesn't actually sell any product... just collects patents) thinks they own wireless through some patent. lawsuits ensue. judge (who thought the movie Idiocracy was a documentary) says that above patent troll owns an IEEE standard that infringes on their product that... doesn't exist because they don't make a product but they.... own the idea of... no wires. Here's their patent. If they win it will be a sad day IMHO.

OMG! They can't be serious! Sad day indeed!

If they win and I have to import my next WHR-HP-G54 from Taiwan I will be very disappointed. :(

But yeah, jumping on the get-the-L-bandwagon. DD-WRT Micro firmware and the lacking RAM is a pain. Just finished configuring a friend's -G the other day and it's showing nowhere near the stability of my other friend's -L.

Here's the GL on Newegg.

$60bux. Get it or you'll end up kicking yourself for buying a -G or -GS.

Im running a GL and also a G. No problems with either one, they both run solid.

The only bug I hate with the G is that it seems like the settings get lost when I unplug it and replug it in... So just save yourself the annoyances of the G and get the GL.

The only bug I hate with the G is that it seems like the settings get lost when I unplug it and replug it in... So just save yourself the annoyances of the G and get the GL.

I had that problem with a v8 and DD-WRT micro. For that router I just put the stock firmware back on it, and it is fine now. I scored a lightly used v1.1 on ebay with some aftermarket antennas and a matching network card, and it works great with DD-WRT.

I had that problem with a v8 and DD-WRT micro. For that router I just put the stock firmware back on it, and it is fine now. I scored a lightly used v1.1 on ebay with some aftermarket antennas and a matching network card, and it works great with DD-WRT.

I personally havnt had this problem. It works fine for me. Personally I hvae had the wrt54g for about a month and a half now with the dd-wrt micro firmware flashed on it and it's had uptime and complete stability since I put ddwrt on it. Now as mentioned the GL does have its improvements but if you dont have tha ability to get one a G with the ddwrt will work too.

I personally havnt had this problem. It works fine for me. Personally I hvae had the wrt54g for about a month and a half now with the dd-wrt micro firmware flashed on it and it's had uptime and complete stability since I put ddwrt on it. Now as mentioned the GL does have its improvements but if you dont have tha ability to get one a G with the ddwrt will work too.

With a Version 8? The v8 has non-removeable antenna, and less RAM than other models.

With a Version 8? The v8 has non-removeable antenna, and less RAM than other models.

Yes it is a version 8. As I said I have had no problem with it and the flashed ddwrt micro package on it. I am aware of the limitations of the router with the non removable antennas and the limited ram. But I still have had no problem with it what so ever. It has been running 24/7 for a long time now without reset or drop out. Also the stock antennas that come with it still give me a full signal anywhere on my property or house which is roughly about 1 acre in size in downtown Lancaster, PA with concrete, interference and all.

Dont get me wrong. I did not say this was a better router then the GL version. Just for clarification I said if you do not have the means or ability to order a GL version online the normal v8 G version with the DDwrt firmware does an excellent job. Some people do not have the ability to order online. And if that is the case the GL version found brick and mortar is going to be much more expensive. So if this is the case for you as I mentioned, if not by all means order the GL version online.

Back