• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GTA IV Discussion

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
the bank job one was a slice for me. i just made sure i ran arround and got eh dropped guns so i could keep pumping them out there.

i really dont like these boat/chopper missions at all. i think i am about done with this game weither i finish the story or not

I found friends really really annoying in SA, and the RPG bit come to think of it.
I have better things to do with my life than spend and hour hammering my space bar to keep my fitness up on a computer game.
Or picking up some girl and driving to a dodgy pub.

Now, if your friends were like, useful, body guard type friends, and you could give them orders like, steal your own damn car and follow me, that would be cool.

R* states in the art book that came with the special edition that with GTA:SA, they wanted to add More. And they did, a million +1 things to do, tons of vehicles, expansive environment... Then the author goes on to say that for GTA4 they wanted to make it more real, more authentic. The focused on every little detail, even cigarette butts. Theres over a thousand product brands in the game. The cut scenes and main characters movements were pulled from mo-cap suit wearing actors. Their goal was to create a living, breathing Liberty City. Its a move away from previous GTAs, but I like it.

The motion capture was probably to put together the ridiculous rag-doll damage system where a car going 5mph puts you on the ground for a 1 minute animation.

Yeah. They were pretty darn fun, tho. I noticed that they can get out of hand really quickly. I kinda wish I could replay them all again because they can escalate and go down differently. The guy you talk to on the phone is cool. "Righteousss."

Yeah. They were pretty darn fun, tho. I noticed that they can get out of hand really quickly. I kinda wish I could replay them all again because they can escalate and go down differently. The guy you talk to on the phone is cool. "Righteousss."

Yeah, I liked R.U.B. Down. I just got out my car, got on top of it, took out the RPG, and fired one well-placed round. BOOM! Everyone dead and mission complete. Plus, the guys on the bikes get roasted and stay on them. :D

I just caught fire myself for the first time; neat! Niko flails about and rolls on the ground (while I was still be shot at). The lack of being able to ride a shopping cart down a hill ticks me off..

I just caught fire myself for the first time; neat! Niko flails about and rolls on the ground (while I was still be shot at). The lack of being able to ride a shopping cart down a hill ticks me off..

Maybe you should try Jackass the game?

I know your shopping cart game is a little nitpicky but Rockstar really overstated what there is to do in the game and how much detail there is....

did you know you can rob the internet cafe? Go behind the food counter and press L1 to open up the cash register. I haven't got this to work at Cluckin Bell or Burger Shot, have not tried a diner yet.

Mmm, Burgerlry. Can you rob the hot dog cart? I'm an f'ing millionaire, theres no way I'm paying $5. for a hot dog! Does making Packie a 'special friend' reward you with anything?

LOL. I can't picture Eminem saying; "Booze? Thats music to me ears!" Other than that, though, its a pretty good likeness. When I call Kate, now, I get an odd disconnect beep beep beep... Meh.

Ha Ha Ha, so we've got Jason Statham as Niko, Eminem as Packie and I'm pretty confident of Joe Pesci as Peccorino....

Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you... BRUCIE!!!!

Sooo...I beat the main story. Definitely one of the funnest single player experiences I've had in a while. Ended up with 73% complete and 43 hours in.

Dave's Mini Review, I though I'd post it here:

It sucks! Well not exactly, but it is a big letdown considering the 10/10 reviews.

GTA III was a good game, made frustrating by numerous technical glitches.
Many of these were fixed in Vice City and through San Andreas and GTA IV most of them have been ironed out while all the time the graphics and physics have improved.

However, the main problem with this game is that it hasn't really evolved from San Andreas, and they haven't really added anything really new since Vice City. It is still a good game, but for somebody who has played every title in the series to completion the tried and tested formula is beginning to get a bit stale.

The only added gameplay features are a series of mini games and a few pseudo RPG features. These are quite well integrated and my first reaction was to that they were very cool. Some of them are genuinely useful (the mobile phone, friends with special abilities) but most (girlfriends, social activities) are pretty damn boring after the first couple of tries.

One of the problems with adding features like these is that although on paper it might seem like they might add to the depth and immersion of the game, more often than not they feel like irritating distractions from what you want to do.

But of course, I'm leaving out multiplayer. It's not bad and it is a worthy addition, but it seems to have inherited the clunkiness of good old Multi Theft Auto (the multiplayer mod for previous PC versions of GTA). Team Mafia is quite fun to play, but it doesn't seem to have the crisp responsiveness that every good multiplayer action game needs.

So, now I'm done I think my copy is going on Kijiji and I'll snag Battlefield: Bad Company instead.

Jumps: Sure theres 50 'super jumps', but I'm not talking about those. There are several deliberately placed jumps which do not engage the slow-mo super jump cut scene. Example: Theres a big wooden ramp on the west beach just north of the Hickey Bridge (northernmost bridge connecting Alderney and Algonquin). With enough speed on the NRG900 you can actually jump onto the bridge. Its tricky, you need a lot of speed, but its do-able. No super jump? Also right there, there is a small ramp at the end of the road, just above that wooden ramp. I've jumped the f'ing river on a bike.. no slow mo?
One of the best things I liked about GTA:SA was the ability to get credit for crazy bike jumps, anywhere. Thats why I'm miffed, it was one of my favorite activities.

/folds arms and scowls at R*

Back