• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2600XT vs. 3850

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Colton H

Alright so my brother went ahead and bought a 2600XT instead of a 3850. I was just wondering what is the comparison of the cards with performance. Is the 2600XT much slower then the 3850? My brother mainly plays, COD4, all RTS games, SIMS series, WOW, LOTRO, EVE. Will he be able to play these games at a 1600x1200res with near max or max settings?

3gig ram and a e8400 already.

I'm pretty sure that the 3850 is muuuch faster than the 2600XT. Maybe your brother can return the 2600XT? I think the 3850 is something like 3x as fast in many cases, maybe even more.

I really doubt the 2600XT would play COD4 at max settings at 16x12

Well hopefully he can run it at that res but not the greatest settings but have it still look good and get decent FPS.

It's a little complicated returning it at the moment. He's not as big on eye candy as I am so maybe he won't care about running at max settings.

The 3850 is fantastic. It plays every game you can throw at it. the 2600 really isn't that good. It's comparing apples and oranges because the difference is so big.

Comparing a mid range card to a high end card there really isn't much of a comparison factor. While typically you can compare like this gens mid end to last gens high end (doesn't work in this case) but right there is at least a 2.5-3x performance increase since the 2600XT really was a crippled card IMO.

Besides the fact the 3000's fix issues that where problems in the 2000's line anyways. Overall good choice expecially looking at the price. Of course if you can wait til ATI releases there new cards this summer, price drops and possibly better deal on the new gens mid range or low end high range cards might be in order, but thats waiting til then which might not be viable option.

Surely playing at 1600x1200 is pushing it with the 2600XT by alot. Really recommending at least a 3850, if not possibly the 3870 might be the best option in this case, or possibly the 8800GT/8800GTS.

BTW EVE should have no issues with the card, won't have all the features but shouldn't be an issue for game play. WOW same, LOTR will have to use mid settings. For RTS, Supreme Commander yes could be issues even with lower settings, Sins of a Solar Empire should have zero issues.

Last edited:
Yeah, I think the niche for the 2600XT isn't gaming but rather HTPC or just normal non-3D (is there such a world??) use. It just doesn't have the umph. With the low prices on the 3850, I think that is probably your best bet for a budget card.

When I picked up my $50 Rocketfish case at Bestbuy a week or so ago, I swear I saw the 3850 for less than $100 there. I remember because I was really surprised by the price.

3850's are goin' for 119$ at the Bestbuy here. I might just pick one up myself now haha..

Back