• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

volt mods for 8800GTS 640mb?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

phil178821

i currently own an EVGA 8800GTS 640MB (A2 core). on water, using the swiftech mcw60 block, i get 36 idle and 41 load. this is OC'd to 692 core and 835 mem.

my question is one.. would it be worth volt modding this puppy? if so, know any good guides? pencil or soldering.

I am pretty disapointed with my mem OC. I had an A3 core before and just before i went water cooling, something went and i had to RMA it. got returned an A2 core, kinda sad. my A3 on air did 660 and 1080ish mem. the mem on my current card sucks :(

thanks for the reply. i did go through google but didnt seem find very descriptive stuff. that second link is one a read a litle while back. thanks for finding that again for me!

so is there any reason volt modding in the situation i described above would be pointless. i am not worried about voiding warrantee or breaking the card. i will practice a bunch prior to.

also, what are the max voltages you should go with on the gpu and mem?

thanks for the reply. i did go through google but didnt seem find very descriptive stuff. that second link is one a read a litle while back. thanks for finding that again for me!

so is there any reason volt modding in the situation i described above would be pointless. i am not worried about voiding warrantee or breaking the card. i will practice a bunch prior to.

also, what are the max voltages you should go with on the gpu and mem?

i have vmodded one card before a 6600gt agp... and gpu vmod yeilded quite a good result only a .05v increase yeilded a 54mhz increase in clock... .1v = another 30mhz over the .05v excess.

But the ram on that card didnt clock much better with added voltage.

Now the situation above can be absolutly and completly different with todays hardware, and honestly i have been tempted to pencil vmod my 8800gts 640 for some benching runs. as per your quite low ram clock, id possibly try an extra .2v but also loosen up the timings with nibitor. (head over to XS for that, they got some peeps over there that mess with stuff like that.)

thanks again for the help nd4. I have an account out over at XS just havent had time to really make this post over there.

any other pointers guys?

man its disapointing staying in a studying on a friday night :( only three more exams! :):)

thanks again for the help nd4. I have an account out over at XS just havent had time to really make this post over there.

any other pointers guys?

man its disapointing staying in a studying on a friday night :( only three more exams! :):)

aha i feel ya on the studdying... gonna studdy today tommorrow for 2 finals on monday than tuesday all day for 2 finals on wed.... gah

another exam down, last one tomorrow!:)

they arent very responsive over at XS. :(
I have some guides, but both recommend different size resistors to go with. what do ya'll think?

1kohm on gpu?
15 or 20kohm on ram?

also, what are safe 24/7 voltages?

well for the gpu resistor id use either a 1k or 2k ohm multi turn variable resistor (prefrebly 2k as it will allow you to back off close to stock voltage and still have tons of adjustability... 1k will work just as fine but it will start out the lowest voltage higher, but have less sensitivity for more fine tuning)

as per the vmem resistor 15k or 20k ohm multi turn VR... either will work just fine.

as per safe 24/7 voltages, thats always tricky, i wouldnt personally go much above .15+ on the vgpu .1v+ would be my MAX 24/7 voltage

and vmem would be no greater than .2v but take thoes figures with a grain of salt.

Back