• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Annoying recycle bin problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

striker85

Every once in a while when I decide to empty the recycle bin it will give me an error. It is generally the same error except one small difference from time to time. It will say that it cannot delete a file, for example "dc138." I can go into the recycle bin, select all the files and delete them manually but the recycle bin will still have the icon meaning it has files in it. If I try to hit "empty recycle bin" it will give me the error again. The only way to fix it, so far, has been to reboot. But does anyone know why this happens or how I can prevent it from happening?

Could be a couple things...

Vista or XP. Which version? Fully up to date?

Is it possible another program is using that file when you try to delete it?

I've seen Vista do this: ie. show the recycle bin as being full, when it's really empty. It's just a glitch, and it seems to correct itself by refreshing the desktop. But I've not seen it refuse to delete a file. (Unless it's being used at the time.)

I'm running XP with everything installed but SP3. The odd thing is, there is not file by that name in there. Sometimes, it even asks me, "are you sure you want to delete this file: WINDOWS" like I put the windows folder in there. And even if I hit yes, it gives me that error about not being able to delete "dc138" or whatever.

I know, it makes no sense. I can't tell you what type of file it is because I can't even see anything in the bin. I switch the view hidden files on in the folder view and still nothing. It tells me access is denied...hmmm

I've seen this issue only on systems where there was/is spyware. Not sure if that is the case, but that is the pattern I have seen :shrug:

Did you try restoring them?
They are not listed, just marked for deletion.

Tried restoring them, no effect. I've done virus scans and spybot scans and all the like...though not in safe mode. My computer is clean from viruses and the sort, as far as I know.

Next time it comes up, get the information (screenshot) and google it. I can't remember the place I found for the information on the windows folder being marked for deletion. :-/

Ok, ran virus scan and spybot in safe mode with no results. I also ran checkdisk with all options to fix errors.

Back