• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

does lapping heatsink make the heatsink FIRTHER awat from cpu?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

antipesto93

i have a freezer 7 pro... and it uses the push pin thing to keep it too the motherboard...but i was thinking.....if u where to sand down the copper at the bottom of the heatsink....wouldnt it make the heatsink firther away frm the cpu........

Well yeh .. but by a fraction of a mm .. The push pin mounts aren't really very good any ways because of their lack of pressure .. But it wouldn't matter any ways really, your TIM would bridge the gap ..

It does matter if one can't put much pressure on the CPU. Actually those mounts should be illegalized, they suck SO much. I wonder how many people look at reviews "WOW! TRUE gets 50C temps load! :O" and go to buy one, just to notice that they get 85C temps under load until the CPU starts throtling - thanks to VERY stupid mounting.

More TIM = worse conductivity = higer temps = NO GOOD. When the TIM thickness halves, the thermal conductivity doubles.

I realize you're making a general statement but just so no one interested in a TRUE gets confused, the TRUE DOES come with a bolt through mounting kit. :)

It does matter if one can't put much pressure on the CPU. Actually those mounts should be illegalized, they suck SO much. I wonder how many people look at reviews "WOW! TRUE gets 50C temps load! :O" and go to buy one, just to notice that they get 85C temps under load until the CPU starts throtling - thanks to VERY stupid mounting.

More TIM = worse conductivity = higer temps = NO GOOD. When the TIM thickness halves, the thermal conductivity doubles.

True but the amount of metal taken off through lapping is absolutely tiny .. I wasn't saying that more TIM would be needed, you would use the same amount and it would still interface between the CPU and HS .. Push pin mounts should be make illegal tho, they are awful ..

Back