• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ultra 120 Extreme still the best with medium fans?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DumpALump

Last I checked 5 months ago or so this was the best heatsink, while only slightly better than the previous Ultra 120 (I have one). I'm wondering what new heatsinks out give the Ultra 120 extreme a run for it's money? Or is it still pretty much the best?

There are a few sinks out made by Xigmatek which gives the TRUE some competition, but my vote goes to the TRUE 120, no doubt :)

Last edited:
Well it looks like my Dad is getting a TRUE for his QX9770 :)

I told him not to buy the processor, but I guess he just has money burning a whole in his pocket lol.

Yeah, definitely the right choice. I had the Xigmatek 1283 and it had pretty poor performance compared to my TRUE, in the case with the same fans as the TRUE.

There are few cases which show that some HSFs perform on par/better than TRUE, but if you ask me, go for TRUE. It's becoming a legend soon. :D

edited flaming statement out of post - muddocktor

edited response to flaming post - mudd

As far as the TRUE, I had it and thought it was a great cooling solution. If you have space in the case, I would recommend it. My mid tower temporary case I had to pull the door fan to fit it. Great cooling solution, make sure you get a good quality fan to pair with it. Check out the fan guide in the cooling section. Great information there on what to pair the TRUE with. Personally I went with the Panaflo M1BX.

Last edited by a moderator:
im sorry there just happened to be 2 ppl that bought a qx9700... just voicing my opinions. I hope your chip clocks well and justifies the price, but it wont happen on air.

Well the thing is my dad is recently retired with a lot of money in assets, investments, and free cash. He really has no concept of "Costs too much", and $1400 doesn't put a dent in his account. Since he only upgrades once every 5 years or so, he just wanted to go for the current best that he could.

So different needs for different people. I personally would never spend that much money, but my dad isn't me.

I wonder when the next air cooling heatsink is going to surpass the TRUE. Have we all hit a brick wall? I remember it was like every 4 months there was a new sink out that was supposed to be wayyy better than the previous best.

As far as the TRUE, I had it and thought it was a great cooling solution. If you have space in the case, I would recommend it. My mid tower temporary case I had to pull the door fan to fit it. Great cooling solution, make sure you get a good quality fan to pair with it. Check out the fan guide in the cooling section. Great information there on what to pair the TRUE with. Personally I went with the Panaflo M1BX.

Yeah I told my dad to get a Scythe S-Flex F (on fan controller). Since everyone was saying how great those fans are, I guess I'll finally get to find out and maybe replace my age old favorite the sanyo denki. Also got him some of that IC Diamond 7. After he's done using it, maybe I'll test it out against AS5.

Maybe I'm wrong, but if he wants the best, I'd advise him to dump that chip and pick up a QX9650. I'm pretty sure that'd be the "best" chip produced currently.

Right.

Just get a boutique water system with Tri GTX's and a QX9650.

Easiest way if money is no object.

I suggest Maingear.

DumpALump, is your Dad planning to overclock the snot out of it or anything? If he is only planning to overclock to the 3.8-4.0 range that U-120-X should do decently with a 63 cfm Scythe S-Flex or Panaflo L1BX or M1BX or the Zalman 120 X 25 mm fan. If he plans to push it higher, then he needs to think about watercooling it then. Even though they are 45 nm procs, they dump a hell of a lot of heat when overclocking. I'm presently getting all my stuff to watercool my QX9650 beyond 3.8 for 24/7 usage.

DumpALump, is your Dad planning to overclock the snot out of it or anything? If he is only planning to overclock to the 3.8-4.0 range that U-120-X should do decently with a 63 cfm Scythe S-Flex or Panaflo L1BX or M1BX or the Zalman 120 X 25 mm fan. If he plans to push it higher, then he needs to think about watercooling it then. Even though they are 45 nm procs, they dump a hell of a lot of heat when overclocking. I'm presently getting all my stuff to watercool my QX9650 beyond 3.8 for 24/7 usage.

This is pretty much the idea of just a 3.8-4ghz range. He's not going to try to tweak every little thing for the most performance. He wants a long lasting computer that he won't have to deal with any problems. He went with the qx9770, because it was just the highest stock speed chip. If all else fails I believe he'll just run it at stock. He would also to make the computer pretty quiet, as he has a fairly quiet office.

Watercooling just doesn't have the reliability like aircooling does. I've done my share of watercooling and while it lasted for a couple years without any problems, you just never know if a leak is going to spring and that'd be one less thing my dad wants to worry about.

He really doesn't have a problem when it comes to spending money, but if he can build it himself for a lot less then he prefers to do it. Besides, we both love electronic gadgets as its our toys :) The thing about the video cards is that he doesn't play any games. He doesn't need anything fancy in that respect so he just got a 9600GT.

He better have some SSD then.

Will offer the best boost along with 8-16GB of RAM with low HDD page file.

He better have some SSD then.

Will offer the best boost along with 8-16GB of RAM with low HDD page file.

He's holding off on the SSD at the moment because of the size. He needs a bunch of 1TB drives for his photos/videos. He currently has 4GB of DDR3 on order and is going to see how it goes. If we think he can get anymore performance then he'll buy another 4GB. We were contemplating it, but we want to see how Vista handles loading stuff into ram vs WinXP first.

The HDD is paged constantly as photoshop calls it the "scratch disk" and he has some large photos ~800megs per photo loaded. Usually he's loading up several at once so that takes a while.

He's holding off on the SSD at the moment because of the size. He needs a bunch of 1TB drives for his photos/videos. He currently has 4GB of DDR3 on order and is going to see how it goes. If we think he can get anymore performance then he'll buy another 4GB. We were contemplating it, but we want to see how Vista handles loading stuff into ram vs WinXP first.

The HDD is paged constantly as photoshop calls it the "scratch disk" and he has some large photos ~800megs per photo loaded. Usually he's loading up several at once so that takes a while.

DDR3 is pointless, just use high-end DDR2 if you need the overclock, the timings of DDR3 outweigh it's speed and it ends up being on par with DDR2 in most cases. If it's faster it's what.... a 1% impact or something?

Use SSD for the OS and normal for storage.

DDR3 is pointless, just use high-end DDR2 if you need the overclock, the timings of DDR3 outweigh it's speed and it ends up being on par with DDR2 in most cases. If it's faster it's what.... a 1% impact or something?

Use SSD for the OS and normal for storage.

Well my dad wanted DDR3. I know it's somewhat the same, but he did spring for some high end DDR3, so we'll see how it goes. The main programs he uses are open all the time. His computer is on 24/7. So loading is a non issue when you don't have to load anything but the pictures/videos that would be on the other drive.

The occasional loading of other programs he doesn't care much about.

Back