• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AGH! Fake DDC or not?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SolidxSnake

Well, I needed a new pump since my DDC18w has been acting up ever since I built my new loop (it hasn't been starting reliably). I found a great deal on some DDCs (tip from someone here, being sold at [H]). I bought one and it came quick. The seller had great communication.

I opened the package and the DDC looked reasonably normal, except there were 4 wires coming out of the thing and there were no screw mounts (unlike my DDC2). There was an extra top in the package as well, which was a legitimate top (had the Laing logo and was cosmetically the same as my DDC2). The top that was on the pump had no Laing markings, and the plastic is of a different color and designed a tad differently. I pulled the pump apart and was greeted to a black impeller. Inside, the impeller and impeller cavity looked normal until I pulled the impeller out... RUST. My DDC2 has never rusted and I wouldn't expect any Laing pump to rust. Likewise, I was told that this pump was brand new and never used, however the inside of the pump was a tad moist.

The PCB also doesn't look like my DDC2. I have never seen the DDC1 PCB and I can't find a single picture of it so I dunno if it is legitimate or not. I still don't understand why there are 4 wires.

So is this a fake or am I just being paranoid? It doesn't look at all like the other fakes that were circulating. It is marked DDC 10W Made in Hungary. No sticker, just printed straight onto the plastic. The plastic is slightly brown as opposed to the dark grey/black of my DDC2 and the legitimate Laing top included with the pump (You can kind of see it in the second picture).

I haven't fired the pump up once yet and I'd rather not until I can determine that it is a legitimate pump.

Pics:

After washing the impeller under some tap water, all of the "rust' washed off (at least everything on the impeller magnet, the stuff on the inside of the plastic is still there).

Now I'm more convinced it's a legitimate pump.. but still confused on the 4 wires.

Hey whats up i got me some water cooling i use a submergable pump that i stuck in a empty mayo jar it gets about 400 gallons a hour and it cheaper i got it at a yard sale for 2 bucks cant beat that dude just screw the old ddc pumps go submergable

Short for tachometer. Reads the revolutions of the volute, I think. :)

Oh. So you have two tach wires coming out of the pump? That's odd.

I think this is wired the same as my DDC2... far left contact is nothing, second to left is tach, third is +12 and fourth is GND.

Oh. So you have two tach wires coming out of the pump? That's odd.

I think this is wired the same as my DDC2... far left contact is nothing, second to left is tach, third is +12 and fourth is GND.

That sounds about right, and yeah it does seem odd, especially since I can't find a way to use them. ;) I tried plugging them into two fan headers (12watts?) on my MB and the sensors read nothing, and wouldn't power the pumps.

I cannot remember where I read that you have to have a special control board to read the rpm's on that pump and it's supposed to convert to gpm too (if'n I remember correctly) via software.

But I may be thinking of a different pump, my mind is usually doing 40 things at once so may be confusing two different pumps.

Last edited:
"Dude" the subject is about the DDC, not about submersible 120v AC pumps. Stay on topic or stay clear :mad:

Back on topic:

Snake, have you contacted the seller and asked him about this?

I did. He doesn't seem too knowledgeable about the pumps but he told me they are straight from the factory before they are branded. The fourth wire, he said, is for an external PCB that can control the pump via PWM. I'm convinced the pump is legitimate now, but I still find it strange the PCB has no Laing markings anywhere.

Ahhh, well if garantees the pump, and vouches as it's an original Laing DDC, then I'm sure it is, but you're right about the markings.

Just be sure he garantees it. Funny how he's not knowledgeable about these pumps, but yet can state they come straight from the factory and sells them.

I find that quite odd, you know :shrug: In any event, good luck with it and I hope it works for you as it should.

It took a little time to register for this site. :p

The pumps are genuine actually. They are the older first generation run.

Nothing fancy about them. (12V@10W)

The side markings on the pump match the same font, size, and barcode as all the Laing pumps do until the 3.2 types went to silver faced stickers.

The fake Laing pumps have a totally different internals. Laing has that posted on their website.

The pumps are the MCP350 style, but are older Danger Den, FrozenCPU un-purchased surplus inventory. When the pump body changed to include the side mounting tabs, these pumps became available in the discount surplus channels.

My dad snagged these pumps up. He knows more about them than me.

I'm only raising some money to obtain a professional BMX bike for competition.

If there are any more questions, I know where to get the answers for them.

Thank you for your concern and support.

I just finished JB-Welding 1/2" barbs onto that spare top you sent me... just gotta tear down my WC loop and switch pumps out.

How's the work going towards switching the pumps?

Post some pictures of the handy work you have done with the pump cover and the completed setup. It's always great to see how things complete in a project like this.

Back