• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ECS G31T-M help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

metloaf

I got in on the deal last week at Fry's with the Q6600 and a free ECS mobo. Now I have no idea how to OC this puppy. I have already contacted their support however no response as of yet. From looking at the board and the manual it states that it does have an OC feature however it involves using the jumpers on the board. I have no idea how to use those, nothing in the manual except that is is possible to do so using those jumpers. All I want is 3 ghz out of my Q6600. If anyone else has this board and you were able to OC it please let me know how? Thanks I appreciate the help. :beer:

ECS boards are not known for their overclocking ability...

I had a P4M800-M7 and all I could get was a 15% jump before it would screw up from no bus lock...

you can't change the multi on that board, the only two thing you can change is the mem speed and the fsb. Oh yeah, you can't change the voltage either. If you can return the board and get a better one, go for it but if not then you can still get the 3ghz but its a crapshoot, close to 3ghz probably doable.

Thanks I appreciate the help. That's what I was afraid of. I guess I will just keep at the stock 2.4ghz and let it fold like that. :(

the best thing to do is pad mod the cpu for 333fsb. pretty much a given for Q6600's to hit 3ghz with no voltage bump needed.
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=499340

Evilsizer FTW. :santa:

Boards based on the G31 chipset are decent overclockers. I agree with Evil, 3 GHz should be easy with the 1333 pad mod. If you happen to need more voltage, check this link for some volt mod goodies. They are for Core 2 Duo, but should work with a quad. Also, I take no responsibility if you damage or destroy your stuff.

in order to correctly do the Vid-pad mod you need to know the vid of the cpu first.

Sweet, thanks. It's good too because Radio Shack is out of it around here and they only sell the pens as kits now. Disregard last statement, I guess I'm off to AutoZone. :beer:

autozone, window defrogger kit would be better imo. that way you dont have to worry about removing the clear coat that forms when using the silver pen.

I've done a few mods with the silver pen, and every time some isopropyl alcohol cleans it up just fine. To each his own.

I don't even know where to begin. I left after I posted last time and went to every car parts store in my area, Auto Zone, Advance Auto, and Pep Boys. Not one of them here carry that pen! So at the 3rd radio shack that I visited, I found the magic pen. It only comes as part of the Circuit Board etching kit. So now I can begin and work on this thing. I will let you know if I fried something or not hopefully. :beer:

umm met, did you check if they had window defrogger kits? that would have worked too and prolly cheaper..

I finnaly found a defogger kit which was pretty cheap at Auto Zone under $10. I will give this mod a try next week when a have a few days off. :beer:

Dunno if it'll help you or not, but I ran across a thread on a Greek forum pertaining to that ECS board. Google translator leaves a bit to be desired, but from what I can tell, in addition to the BSEL mod you can also make some adjustments from within the BIOS.

In the fourth post down, under the "BSEL mod 266" heading, they talk about some sort of BIOS adjustment, I'm guessing it's the 'CPU Overclocking Frequency' option... It seems a little counterintuitive, but if I'm reading correctly, setting 249mhz on that menu will get you 333mhz actual when you have a 266mhz CPU. Granted, they're talking about an 800fsb CPU that's been BSEL modded to 1066, but perhaps it'd work similarly for a native 1066 CPU...

Note that I don't own one of these boards, otherwise I'd've tried it already and posted my findings. I am interested to see how it works out for you, though, as I might be picking up one of those combos in the coming few weeks.

Good to hear it worked out.

Now that you have it going, I'm curious... I've heard that those ECS boards, at least the 945GC variants, complain at POST when you use a BSEL modded CPU. Something like "You have a 266mhz CPU running at 333mhz. Doing this can result in reduced performance. To enter setup press F2 or press F1 to continue." Does your G31 board do that? Or does it just flash a warning message and then continue on its own?

Back