• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what should i do

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

so many choices

a couple of weeks ago i was trying to install via's 4 in 1 drivers and it completely messed up my computer.

Now when i turn it on evrything freezes before everything even boots up.

I've tried re installing windows 98 but it tells me that i cant.

Is there anyway of reinstalling windows without erasing any of my data

-any help would be greatly appreciated.

so many choices said:

I've tried re installing windows 98 but it tells me that i cant.

Is there anyway of reinstalling windows without erasing any of my data

Did you try booting with the cd in the drive?

yep, i tried that and it tells me i shouldn't.

i do it anywaze and everything loads and it tells me i need to reboot. When i do, i see my desktop and then everything freezes again. The drivers i tried installing are here
http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=2
the drivers i tried to install are the 4 in 1, AGP410 Driver, and IDE miniport driver v3.0.14

Can you boot in safe mode so that you can uninstall the drivers and reinstall the ones that worked?

Ploaf said:
Can you boot in safe mode so that you can uninstall the drivers and reinstall the ones that worked?

Yep, do what Ploaf suggest, try booting into safe mode and that should work for you.

I can't answer the question about the via drivers or where they are located although most should be in your system folder- but you could use the uninstall hardware option to uninstall the specific hardware affected by the drivers and direct windows when reinstalling to the drivers that you know will work.
To start in safe mode you restart and when the Win98 boot screen comes up hitting F8 should bring up the option to restart in Dos/SafeMode/ Regular Mode/ Logging etc.

Or check the 4 in 1 files for the driver names. They should be listed so that you can simply search for them and delete and reinstall what you need.

so many choices said:
hooray!!!! i uninstalled the drivers and now my baby has come back to me!!!

- thanks for all your help kind sirs

So what did you do exactly?

Glad you did it.

Yodums
(-:

so many choices said:
hooray!!!! i uninstalled the drivers and now my baby has come back to me!!!

- thanks for all your help kind sirs

Glad that it worked :) Did you end up getting the new drivers installed or just revert back to the original drivers?

Back