Registered

My New Cable Management Job

Thank you to some of you who recommended a cable management solution for my case. At the time, I did not know that there was actually a purpose for the holes behind my motherboard and that my other side panel came off! (This was obviously my first build.)

So, it has been a year, I picked up a Gigabyte P35 DS3L and I decided to do some rerouting.

BEFORE:

AFTER

Antec p180 Silver Case (4 X 120mm Fan)
    OCZ 700W GameXStream
    GIGABYTE P35-DS3L
    Intel e6600 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo (OC'ed 3.2Ghz)
    eVGA GeForce 8800GTS 640MB (OC'ed 658/1044)
    G.Skill 2GB DDR2 800 (pc6400)
    Seagate SATA 320GB (7200rpm)
    Thermalright Ultra 120 CPU Heatsink + 1 X 120mm Fan

lol did anything change? try some zip ties out

I think that you can still do better..

I think you should try to bury that IDE cable beneath the mobo.
    Corsair HX750w
    Samsung 830
    2x4gb Crucial Ballistix 1600mhz 8-8-8-24
    Asrock 890FX Dlx5
    HIS IceQ 6970
    AMD PhenomII X6 1075T
    Asus Xonar D2X PCI-E
    Cosmos 1000 windowed
    Logitech z5500
    HP ZR24w 24"

Benching Profile Heatware Profile
    Also try putting the extra hard drive cage in there, it really helps to block out the wires behind it and make things look neater. Trust me, I know!
    Intel i5-2500k @ 4.5GHz 1.31v | AsRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 | 8GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3-1600 | EVGA GTX 780 SC ACX | Megahalems Rev b w/ 1850rpm Gentle Typhoon push/pull | Corsair HX620 | Fractal XL R2 | Samsung 830 256GB SSD | Seagate 1TB | Samsung 2TB

I trust the King

HEATWARE

B+ Could do better lol. Why not round the PATA cable, then you could really make it look tidy.

You also changed the Heatsink around - is it cooler now?
    E8400 @ 4Ghz Passive Copper Scythe Ninja
    EVGA 260GTX @ 675Mhz / 1458Mhz / 2304Mhz Stock Cooler
    4GB OCZ Reaper 1066Mhz
    Asus P5Q Deluxe
    Corsair HX620
    Gaming at 1920x1200

i love wire managing in that case. Great case I would also say put the drive cage back in theres no harm in it.

Dell Optiplex SX260 running ubuntu
    PS3 <Optical> Compass DAC/Amp -> Audio Technica AD700

Benching Profile Folding Profile SETI Profile Heatware Profile
    I'd give it a C. This is what you need to strive for:

Quote Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
    my last 3 setups.
    MAIN: Biostar H61MGC / i3 - 2120 Sandy / Team Elite 8GB DDR3 1333 / 300GB V-Raptor / OCZ ModXStream Pro 500W
    SAPPHIRE AMD Radeon HD 6870 / Case: Modded CM 690 / Logitech Z-640 5.1 w/ Onboard Audio / Westy 22in Widescreen / Emprex 22" Widescreen for static viewing

HTPC/SERVER/ETC: Biostar H77MU3 / Core i3-3220T / CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB DDR3 1600 / PC Power & Cooling Silencer MK III 400W 80 PLUS Bronze
    G.SKILL Phoenix Pro 60GB SSD ( OS ) + WD 20EARS 2TB 64MB Cache ( Video, Music, Pictures ) + 500GB Hitachi ( TV recordings ) / Custom Rosewill CHALLENGER
    (2) AVerMedia AVerTVHD Duet - PCTV Tuner / HP Media Remote / Antennacraft Colorstar C490

Everything you need to know about Power Supplies and buying a new one ___ Heatware ___Retired Case: Modded Full Tower

Heatware Profile
    Quote Originally Posted by jiggamanjb View Post
    I agree that the OP can do MUCH more to eliminate the clutter, but I do not agree that we should all strive for a system with little to nothing installed! Anyone can manage wires beautifully with just a hard drive installed, but it becomes more difficult when you actually have a computer with a video card, sound card, DVD-RW, CF readers, and more than just ONE fan.

I would highly suggest using the back of the mobo plate to hide more cables, and to "fold" the IDE cable so that it can be routed behind the mobo (also suggest using a an 80-pin, for they bend easier). If nothing is in the direct flow of air, just leave it be, no need to have everything completely tucked away if it adds nothing but aesthetics. Keep the cage out, and route those cables near the fan else where.

bryan d
    Warning: Ethyl Glycol Can Kill!
    G73JH SSD FirePro Mod
    Dell XPS Studio 435 MT Xeon W3520, 6GB Triple Channel, FX 3500, SSD

Heatware

Registered
    Quote Originally Posted by bryan_d View Post
    I agree that the OP can do MUCH more to eliminate the clutter, but I do not agree that we should all strive for a system with little to nothing installed! Anyone can manage wires beautifully with just a hard drive installed, but it becomes more difficult when you actually have a computer with a video card, sound card, DVD-RW, CF readers, and more than just ONE fan.

I would highly suggest using the back of the mobo plate to hide more cables, and to "fold" the IDE cable so that it can be routed behind the mobo (also suggest using a an 80-pin, for they bend easier). If nothing is in the direct flow of air, just leave it be, no need to have everything completely tucked away if it adds nothing but aesthetics. Keep the cage out, and route those cables near the fan else where.

bryan d
    I'll give routing more cables behind the motherboard a try. The problem is that the large 20 pin connector is big one to fit back there and I had a little trouble getting the other side panel on. I'll see if there is more room to fit some of the cables near the fan back there. It really doesn't disrupt airflow, but it would look a lot better.

Thank you for your opinions and suggestions, not just to you, but to everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by zbo View Post
    B+ Could do better lol. Why not round the PATA cable, then you could really make it look tidy.

You also changed the Heatsink around - is it cooler now?
    I could do some more wire management. I will try twisting the IDE cable to make it smaller. And I really haven't seen any temperature differences between my old heatsink setup and rotating it 90 degrees. I thought I would give it a try since more people have it setup like that than having it the original way.
    Antec p180 Silver Case (4 X 120mm Fan)
    OCZ 700W GameXStream
    GIGABYTE P35-DS3L
    Intel e6600 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo (OC'ed 3.2Ghz)
    eVGA GeForce 8800GTS 640MB (OC'ed 658/1044)
    G.Skill 2GB DDR2 800 (pc6400)
    Seagate SATA 320GB (7200rpm)
    Thermalright Ultra 120 CPU Heatsink + 1 X 120mm Fan

Quote Originally Posted by bryan_d View Post
    I suggested it is what it should look like with only those items installed. If he could get it to look like that, then add the things he needs, it would still look good.
    MAIN: Biostar H61MGC / i3 - 2120 Sandy / Team Elite 8GB DDR3 1333 / 300GB V-Raptor / OCZ ModXStream Pro 500W
    SAPPHIRE AMD Radeon HD 6870 / Case: Modded CM 690 / Logitech Z-640 5.1 w/ Onboard Audio / Westy 22in Widescreen / Emprex 22" Widescreen for static viewing

HTPC/SERVER/ETC: Biostar H77MU3 / Core i3-3220T / CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB DDR3 1600 / PC Power & Cooling Silencer MK III 400W 80 PLUS Bronze
    G.SKILL Phoenix Pro 60GB SSD ( OS ) + WD 20EARS 2TB 64MB Cache ( Video, Music, Pictures ) + 500GB Hitachi ( TV recordings ) / Custom Rosewill CHALLENGER
    (2) AVerMedia AVerTVHD Duet - PCTV Tuner / HP Media Remote / Antennacraft Colorstar C490

Everything you need to know about Power Supplies and buying a new one ___ Heatware ___Retired Case: Modded Full Tower

I suggested it is what it should look like with only those items installed. If he could get it to look like that, then add the things he needs, it would still look good.
    But that's also a different case and the Nine is one of the worst cases to get good cable management in without drilling some holes or gettng VERY creative. There are a few Nine cases here that have some VERY good cable management. baditude_df has his Nine setup pretty well and is very clean. It's always good to look at other peoples management ideas to give you an idea of what's possible. I'd suggest you look here for some ideas.

It does look much better than the initial attempt though.

Axis

not bad - really
    Moi Meme!

I don't see a graphics card, nor do i see an optical drive...impressive, but a bit misleading.

Author Profile Heatware Profile
    Quote Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
    my last 3 setups.
    better example. however gfx needs to no external power. but thats a cable or two.
    Primary
    3570k @4.6 turbo, P8Z77-V PRO ,
    6970 , Corsair Vengeance 4x4GB 1600
    Vertex 4 120GB, 1x 250GB Seagate
    LG HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4167B
    HX 850W , NZXT Switch 810

My OLD WC Project Log
    My Heat

Ya IDE cables FTL.

You still have to many wires going in different directions IMO.

Author Profile Heatware Profile
    a good tip with IDE cables. try wrapping them around the motheboard itself. The standoffs will give you enough room to fold the cable inbetween the mobo and mobo tray to come out to your optical drive.
    Primary
    3570k @4.6 turbo, P8Z77-V PRO ,
    6970 , Corsair Vengeance 4x4GB 1600
    Vertex 4 120GB, 1x 250GB Seagate
    LG HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4167B
    HX 850W , NZXT Switch 810

My OLD WC Project Log
    My Heat

it's really tough to make those fatass IDE cables ever look good. If you want a pretty computer, get a SATA dvd burner like me ^_^
    E8400 @ stock
    ATI HD4850 @ stock
    OCZ Platinum 2x2GB 5-5-5-15
    P182 case
    150 Raptor OS/Games
    250 Seagate storage
    Asus P5Q pro

Waiting on the vid cooler to come in before OC's ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by SynGamer View Post
    I don't see a graphics card, nor do i see an optical drive...impressive, but a bit misleading.

It's not a bad job. Does it look phenomenal? No. Is it functional? Yes. The whole point of cable management IMO is to maximize airflow. It looks like your intake is mostly unobstructed and your exhausts are fine. Good job but you could do better for bragging rights.
    Heat
    Asus P8P67
    Intel i5 2500k @ 4.0GHz
    30c Idle / 50c Full Load w/ TRUE U120
    8GB DDR3-1866 -- 9-10-9-27-1T
    MSI GTX 460 1GB
    2TB Total HD / Antec 902 / Corsair 550VX