• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Recommend me some PC2-8500 RAM

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

andyl33t

Hi, I'm going to be getting new RAM when I get my new P45 motherboard. I need 2x2GB. Was wondering what ram to get? Should I get the:

Corsair 4GB DDR2 XMS2 Dominator
G.Skill 4GB DDR2 PK PC2-8500C5
OCZ 4GB Reaper HPC Edition

Or any others recommended?

Hi, I'm going to be getting new RAM when I get my new P45 motherboard. I need 2x2GB. Was wondering what ram to get? Should I get the:

Corsair 4GB DDR2 XMS2 Dominator
G.Skill 4GB DDR2 PK PC2-8500C5
OCZ 4GB Reaper HPC Edition

Or any others recommended?

For a Q6600? Don't waste your money on 1066 rated RAM. You'll be at 3.6ghz before even running 800 rated stuff at full speeds..

But then I can alter the FSB:RAM ration to meet the ram speeds. Its also future proof.

But then I can alter the FSB:RAM ration to meet the ram speeds. Its also future proof.

Future proof?? No such thing. DDR2 will be going away and making room for DDR3 soon enough. LGA775 is going away soon enough as well.

If it's worth an extra $20 to get memory rated at 1066 just to say you have it, by all means go for it. Just be aware of the actual performance increase you are going to get by running the memory faster than FSB: Zilch.

OK, maybe .2% or so ;)

^ +1. nothing's future proof right now. wait for the next quarter to come around. New cpu socket, DDR3 will be mainstream, etc. If you want an upgrade. do what im doing... wait :)

Oh ok, so DDR800 would be enough? What would you recommend?

Probably these: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231148

4-4-4-12 so if you do end up taking FSB beyond 400, you'll have some decent headroom if you just bump it up to 5-5-5-15 or something.

These Corsairs are very nice too, just make sure it's not a problem to use tall modules on your mobo/case combo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145194

Really, anything on this page: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...08080+1052416064+1052315794+1052508081&name=4

slright hijack

hi there ive been reading up on ram speeds etc, and while the ddr2 800mhz is good for the Q6600 would some 8500+ RAM be alright for the Yorkfields (particularly the Q9300), in terms of functionality and value against bandwidth utilization between the CPU and RAM?

apologies for the slight hijack of this thread, however this seems to be following my same train of thought in terms of what RAM i should buy and for the same reasons (future proofing, per say lol)

sorry again :confused:

id go with the pc8500.. running your fsb at higher speeds is good, it opens up the pipes, and gets the mem controller moveing. haveing the stix to compliment it is gravy. ratbuddy you need to run some more everest. there is more then a 2% gain from running your stix faster, there is more to life then 3dmark ;)

id go with the pc8500.. running your fsb at higher speeds is good, it opens up the pipes, and gets the mem controller moveing. haveing the stix to compliment it is gravy. ratbuddy you need to run some more everest. there is more then a 2% gain from running your stix faster, there is more to life then 3dmark ;)

thanks for the advice now i know what im gonna buy lol :beer:

Yep, you can score higher in memory benchmarks running your memory at higher mhz. Are you going to notice a difference in real use? Nope. It's also foolish to spend the extra cash for 1066 memory rated at 5-5-5-15 or higher when 800mhz 4-4-4-12 rated stuff will usually clock just as high and costs less..

Ok cool, I appreciate what everyone is saying. I understand that there is no point atm getting high end DDR2, since DDR3 will be the standard soon and also I can just overclock the 800 to 1066 speeds. I'm looking for around a 4Ghz clock (I hope) so thats 4000/9 = 444.4 Mhz FSB. Since DDR is double data rate, therefore the my memory clock will be 888.8 - which a 800Mhz ram will easily reach.

I'm not an extreme overclocker that wants to shave every milisecond of benching timings - I'm looking for more real world uses :D. So with PC2-6400 will suite my needs, I hope!

Thanks everyone!

Back