• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Atom not impressive performance

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Not going to happen any time soon, you can't stick a ~3W CPU in a current cellphone design if you want the battery to last for more than a couple of hours.

the only atom cpu that is 3watts TDP is the 1.8ghz one. as i noted before from what intel said later gen atoms will be used in cellphones. current gen are for low power/low cost laptops.

TDP doesnt translate into power used by the cpu. as is the case with 65nm vs 45nm dual cores both rated for 65watt TDP. the 45nm cpus at stock pull less power at load vs 65nm dies. there is more to the cpu power usage then their TDP numbers.

One thing is for sure, we really need to pickup our game on fuel cell technology. Battery life on everything is a joke imo.

battery life is only joke because of the extras they add in. they only add them in cause they keep cutting cpu/memory/chipset/hd power used in them. there will be very few laptops with high battery life...

what seems to be a good idea about powering devices, is what i saw some time ago on "eco tech". there is a guy that is using what looks like metal, once it hits water it creates hydrogen. if were able to fit a power device like this to laptops, no more needing to recharge by cables. we be cool to have but it prolly at least 10years off for something that small to work efficiently enough.

*update*
ok after checking out the prices of other parts from the link above. when i get home im ordering the Atom 1.8ghz M-ITX setup. what is funny though is they list 2 names on that product page. the diamondvill they list is a dual core the but the correct name is listed in the other box below with the motherboard specs for silverthorne. now i just wonder if i can get linux to load on that setup, may not have cpu support.

Meh energy technology is no where close to where it should be.

Our 20,000,000$ F22's still use fossil fuels, c'mon. With how much the US wastes on military funding you'd think we'd have something better.

But I'm just ranting now, you can ignore me.

(I just saw Ironman lol, I want a fuel cell like that :D)

the only atom cpu that is 3watts TDP is the 1.8ghz one. as i noted before from what intel said later gen atoms will be used in cellphones. current gen are for low power/low cost laptops.

TDP doesnt translate into power used by the cpu. as is the case with 65nm vs 45nm dual cores both rated for 65watt TDP. the 45nm cpus at stock pull less power at load vs 65nm dies. there is more to the cpu power usage then their TDP numbers.

I know later models are possibly going to find their way into phones, but I was referring specifically to the comments in this thread along the lines of "Wow the power of a 1.4Ghz P3 in a phone."

Well if the 65nm -> 45nm power / voltage decrease holds consistent with what we saw in C2D, the 2nd generation atoms should have their power cut down by a good 25-40%. That's when we'll see them going into badass phones ;)

Do we really even need that much power in a phone tbh? The iPhone is pretty impressive and uses the old arm processor, which has way less computing power.

Software is holding handheld technology back more than current hardware anyways. I'm sorry but Microsoft's idea of a mobile OS is a joke.

I know later models are possibly going to find their way into phones, but I was referring specifically to the comments in this thread along the lines of "Wow the power of a 1.4Ghz P3 in a phone."
o ok, i see now, my mistake..

In my link where I got off on the rabbit hole with the tag line "Puma and Atom beware".
AH, i gota ya!
Well if the 65nm -> 45nm power / voltage decrease holds consistent with what we saw in C2D, the 2nd generation atoms should have their power cut down by a good 25-40%. That's when we'll see them going into badass phones ;)

Do we really even need that much power in a phone tbh? The iPhone is pretty impressive and uses the old arm processor, which has way less computing power.

Software is holding handheld technology back more than current hardware anyways. I'm sorry but Microsoft's idea of a mobile OS is a joke.

palm os is better then MS mobile os. got my dad a old palm with 250mhz cpu, that thing was pretty fast for what it is. cant wait for the newer ones for sure.. i think i should have my title dubbed "Low Power Senior", LOL

Heh microsoft will probably try to jam XP onto a phone =D

Apple and palm got it right by designing a custom solution for specific products. Trying to make an OS for a wide range of mobile devises just doesn't work. L2P microsoft.

It's beyond me why Microsoft doesn't take the phone market place seriously. They take the mp3 player market seriously and are getting dominated there, I guess they feel they'd just get dominated by the iphone anyways.

What did you get? Got a link?

yea from warrenG's post
http://www.ocforums.com/showpost.php?p=5648652&postcount=40
$78, the 8 and some change for shipping its the Z520 Atom at 1.6ghz.
after doing some poking around i found the boards supports up to 2gigs. im about to buy a ddr2-667 cas4 2gig stick for $34 at newegg, next need a case,slim cd/dvd and a SSD drive to finish it off. o man this is gonna be COOL! gonna test seti on it with the SSE3 tweak they have for bonic.

here is ram
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=514725<br />
thinking about this ssd, since it wont be used much.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820609302
gonna order it from ewiz once they get the OCF promo code for us setup.

sorry im just to stooked about this!

Heh I should make one of those for my parents, they still use a P4 northwood =D
Fixed! :)

You better overclock it ;)
trust me i thought about it... looked over the white papers, i could do some soldering to see if i could get a 667 or possible 800 fsb. over the 533 buss its using, also the white papers indicate a max of 1.2v for the atom cpu and a low .3v. with atom having EIST and from the table under clock to 800mhz for a .65watt TDP. no that is .30 watts lower then AMD's geode 800mhz cpu. in the world of low TPD thats huge difference.

we will just see what i can do with clockgen before soldering. i hope crystalcpuid had Atom support now, if not time to help! :) i am suprised to see cpuz with Atom support already! :eek:

well my thought is for that price seti farm!
how does the name "Atom Ant" sound for it? haha, isnt that a old school cartoon?

Back