• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Atom not impressive performance

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

th3

Some real world numbers just showed up, Atom 230 1.6GHz crunching Einstein@home under WinXP.

The host: http://einstein.phys.uwm.edu//show_host_detail.php?hostid=1337960
Results: http://einstein.phys.uwm.edu//results.php?hostid=1337960

Now look at the times of this PIII 1.4GHz: http://einstein.phys.uwm.edu//results.php?hostid=1025096

In all fairness, the Atom is probably using Hyperthreading and is therefore crunching 2 workunits on only 1 core, so slice those times in two. Also, that PIII uses a Linux app that utilizes SSE and that Windows app on the Atom is using the FPU, that does account for a certain difference in speed, but for sure the difference is not THAT big, i followed Einsteins current science run through all its phases and all the beta apps and the difference should be more like 35-50%.

Will see if i can find some P3 using that same windows app on e@h, but surely it looks like the in-order execution is killing the Atoms performance. Ok for handheld, but Atom for laptop doesnt look promising.

Edit: Celeron M 1.6 running that same Windows app. I admit that windows app is slower than what i thought, but still, Celeron M is quite old now and not much faster than a P3.
http://einstein.phys.uwm.edu//results.php?hostid=767533

Last edited:
Well, how much faith can we put into their detection program? How do we know its running full out? Etc.

EDIT: I didn't even think these were out yet...

Atoms arn't out, but they are about to be.

Atoms are designed for mobile phones and ultra ultra portable computers. They use next to no power, with a 1-3Watt TDP. modern processors have a typical TDP of 65-85Watts. They are not fast chips, but they will fit in anything and use no power (and no heat), thats is what the Atom is designed for, not crunching numbers in Seti. They have next to no cache too, which im sure helps in these folding type programs.

your comparing a car to a wheelbarrow really.

That said, it is good to finally see some numbers for them. Thanks for the links, its an indication at least.

I think comparing Atom to a VIA C7 would be more apples to apples as the C7 is Via's compact low heat low power processor.

So I can get a 1.4 P3 that uses 1 watt?
Thats AWESOME

These arent designed for computing, they're for phone/notebook hybrids where power use is dominant.

Remember Eds been telling us for years that soon you'll have a little thing you can carry around that works as a phone and a low end laptop, that can wirelessly connect to a mouse keyboard and monitor.
I'd say that this looks very much like it could evolve into that

Nice, we are now down to comparing 10 year old tech with tech that isnt even public available yet.

We ARE talking 45nm High-K/Metalgate tech here, anyone who missed out on Intel re-inventing the transistor with that tech got some serious catching up to do and better find their reading glasses, AND should have done so a year ago. How much has CPU performance increased since PIII? "More than the Atom" would be the understatement of the millennium.

Check the calendar guys, mine says "alomst June 2008", Atoms performance says 1998.

People commentiing that this isn't a badass superchip and is comparable to a PIII, look at the size of the damn thing! Have any of you people read anything about the Atom in the first place? Try fitting that PIII in your phone. In addition to using all your batteries and making the phone huge as hell, it'll burn your *** every time you try to fit the huge monstrosity in your pocket. Also, then compare your phone's current processor to the Atom. Oh that's right, you can't because it's pointless. The Atom isn't about performance compared to your desktop or otherwise. It's about what some of the more informed posts in this thread say it's about, and that's (size + power consumtion + and heat output)/performance.

And an Einstein benchmark is hardly what I would consider a measure of performance.

It's also worth mentioning that Atom obviously will cover a range of chips tailored to specific devices.

Intel's Atom info page: http://www.intel.com/technology/atom/index.htm

marquee_noflash.jpg

People commentiing that this isn't a badass superchip and is comparable to a PIII, look at the size of the damn thing! Have any of you people read anything about the Atom in the first place? Try fitting that PIII in your phone. In addition to using all your batteries and making the phone huge as hell, it'll burn your *** every time you try to fit the huge monstrosity in your pocket. Also, then compare your phone's current processor to the Atom. Oh that's right, you can't because it's pointless. The Atom isn't about performance compared to your desktop or otherwise. It's about what some of the more informed posts in this thread say it's about, and that's (size + power consumtion + and heat output)/performance.

And an Einstein benchmark is hardly what I would consider a measure of performance.

It's also worth mentioning that Atom obviously will cover a range of chips tailored to specific devices.

Intel's Atom info page: http://www.intel.com/technology/atom/index.htm
We understand waht its all about, but i don't think you're looking at all the factors.

Look at the gigantic (relative) heatsink and fan that comes with the ITX board... you think thats there for show? How can you throw something in a phone that NEEDS something like that? You'd need to undervolt and underclock an Atom so much to work in a phone, that it would be almost pointless.

Then lets compare the performance. You basically get less than P3 performance from it. Which is nice, however VIA's options (while bigger than the Atom) are at high end P3 performance levels, sometimes P4.

So where does Atom fit? you can't put it in a phone, it doesn't perform all that well, AND it's power consumption (Atl east in an itx platform) is only 19 watts away from a low end dual core pentium!

For all the griping and groaning, it's a remarkable piece of tech (Coming from an AMD fanboy). I'm sure a Penryn can be clocked down to run at 25watts if someone tried but the Atom, Nano and Puma are remarkable steps in the direction we should be headed. As th3 said, get your reading glasses out (or take of the ball cap and shaded :)) and go read up on this. These are the first runs with newer processes that will make these look like old skool next year. Today's production will not be used on commercial phones so put away the pocket H20 cooler for now. Work has already started on 32nm which will drop the TDP and voltage another big notch along with revisions would cut 25% or more of the current power usage.
Look another tech these companies are looking to change. Servers :eek: Yes thousands to millions of these could be used as a multipathed search engine if someone can build it.

Now dose it overclock to 4G :D :santa: :evilgrin:

[humor]
Beats this ad on the centrino 2 using maxipads in the bars showing 3DMarks!
centrino2.jpg
[/humor]

Last edited:
intel stated plans for "Atom" in the future after die shrink with added instruction sets. This will be a HT enabled multi core cpu for servres, in current form per die size. you could fit about 10-12 atoms core in the area of a quad core. this is going to be fun stuff in the future.. intel even stated a long time ago that Atom would have the performance of a Dothan cpu, how can you complain though when its 3watt for 1.8ghz. for the record guys current atoms are mean to low power laptops, future atoms will be for cell phones...

intel stated plans for "Atom" in the future after die shrink with added instruction sets. This will be a HT enabled multi core cpu for servres, in current form per die size. you could fit about 10-12 atoms core in the area of a quad core. this is going to be fun stuff in the future.. intel even stated a long time ago that Atom would have the performance of a Dothan cpu, how can you complain though when its 3watt for 1.8ghz. for the record guys current atoms are mean to low power laptops, future atoms will be for cell phones...

Isn't the Core 2 architecture based off some old Pentium Mobile chip or something? Atom and it's little buddies are probably the seeds of our future desktop chips..

Any cpu that runs that fast and requires no heatsink is A ok by me :)

VIA's new Isiah processor is to be the atom's main competitor, we'll see how that does in comparison in the coming months. I believe Nvidia is working with VIA to build make some handhelds with the Isiah and their new cpu.

To my knowledge IBM and AMD have no answer to this type of cpu.

well what lead to what is now core 2 started with mobile cpu Banis. a reworked P6 aka PIII, added alot more L2. after banis we got a die shrunk and added instruction set on Dothan with even more L2. after Dothan on we got Yohan aka core duo and you know the rest... it is highly possible the Atom cpu will be the new wave for future desktop cpus. the Atom die is simple for intel to make due to its in-order excution of instructions. where core/core 2 can do out of order excution, which leads to a more complex die. intel was smart by adding HT to Atom that way they can excute 2 instustions per clock or close to there of.

i just cant wait to get my hands on a Atom dual core with HT in a future lappy. should hopefully be out by years end.

*edit*
shig did you ever see that post at XS, with the celeron-l? it was runnning stock speed,stock voltage with no HS? its prime95 load temps was 80c :eek:

amd's closest answer is the Geode cpu... Nv is not working with VIA, its using the ARM cpu which is done by another company. if i recall right ARM cpu is done by transmetta.
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=562076

Last edited:
well what lead to what is now core 2 started with mobile cpu Banis. a reworked P6 aka PIII, added alot more L2. after banis we got a die shrunk and added instruction set on Dothan with even more L2. after Dothan on we got Yohan aka core duo and you know the rest... it is highly possible the Atom cpu will be the new wave for future desktop cpus. the Atom die is simple for intel to make due to its in-order excution of instructions. where core/core 2 can do out of order excution, which leads to a more complex die. intel was smart by adding HT to Atom that way they can excute 2 instustions per clock or close to there of.

i just cant wait to get my hands on a Atom dual core with HT in a future lappy. should hopefully be out by years end.

*edit*
shig did you ever see that post at XS, with the celeron-l? it was runnning stock speed,stock voltage with no HS? its prime95 load temps was 80c :eek:

amd's closest answer is the Geode cpu... Nv is not working with VIA, its using the ARM cpu which is done by another company. if i recall right ARM cpu is done by transmetta.
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=562076

I thought I read somewhere Nvidia was doing something with VIA, but I could be mistaken.

I thought I read somewhere Nvidia was doing something with VIA, but I could be mistaken.
well it has been rumored for a while that NV may try to merge with VIA. To get the X86 agreement since it cant be had by simply buying the company.

here is the link i was tring to point out from that thread
http://www.infoworld.com/article/08...5/27/Nvidia-to-release-CPU-at-Computex_1.html

never the less competing agianst Atom is going to get harder for VIA. unless they are able to do some really remarkable improvements to there cpus.

well it has been rumored for a while that NV may try to merge with VIA. To get the X86 agreement since it cant be had by simply buying the company.

here is the link i was tring to point out from that thread
http://www.infoworld.com/article/08...5/27/Nvidia-to-release-CPU-at-Computex_1.html

never the less competing agianst Atom is going to get harder for VIA. unless they are able to do some really remarkable improvements to there cpus.

Ah yeah I saw this.

"Nvidia will make a chip set that supports Via's upcoming Isaiah processor and offer better graphics capabilities than have previously been available for Via's processor line."

We'll see how well their stuff works together and how good the products are that use an Nvidia chipset and an Isiah.

However I would rather see Nvidia and IBM collaborate for the console market in the future. Doubt that will happen though.

Back