• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Annoyingly Loud PSU fan!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

blakehenry00

Alright, So I recently picked up a new power supply (Cooler Master 650 watt) and it was quiet for the first couple of months. Now the fan is stuck on full. Is there anyway to fix this? :bang head: (Also, I have not added any hardware, a few people on newegg had the same issue)

EDIT: Here's the link http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171014 I bought this one at CompUSA when they had their blowout sales.

Last edited:
Is the fan controller built right into the fan? If not, Then I don't see how changing the fan will solve the issue. Seems the fan running wide open is simply a byproduct of a faulty temp sensor or controller.

Have you tried soft rubber pads between PSU fan and PSU case? That's what I'm doing right now. The PSU fan has a nice smooth grill on top and a rubber frame below. Given the nature of my computer case (iron box from 2003), you generally don't hear the fans inside running at full voltage (12 cm in PSU, 9.2 cm on CPU, 8 cm sysfan, GPU stock fan). I can just sit back and relax. And I'm a guy with a family history of migraines, who can't stand an active Northbridge cooler.

Have you tried soft rubber pads between PSU fan and PSU case? That's what I'm doing right now. The PSU fan has a nice smooth grill on top and a rubber frame below. Given the nature of my computer case (iron box from 2003), you generally don't hear the fans inside running at full voltage (12 cm in PSU, 9.2 cm on CPU, 8 cm sysfan, GPU stock fan). I can just sit back and relax. And I'm a guy with a family history of migraines, who can't stand an active Northbridge cooler.

I will try this out tonight! If it doesn't work I have plenty of 120mm just sitting on my shelf.

Back