• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A complaint about Mass Effect

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mrgreenjeans

A complaint about Mass Effect (Spoiler Alert!)

Seems most of the 'boss' and story line battles are introduced through cut scenes, however, you are not allowed to quicksave during battles or given any opportunity to save the game, so if and when you die you get to sit through the cutscenes over and over. It might make me put it down. I'm at a point now where I've rescued the daughter and get about 1 min + of cutscene as the elevator rises with 1 non-sequential dialog thread. Once the elevator reaches the top there's another dialog branch where a group of thugs advance and start in whooping your butt regardless of dialog choice. You are never even given the opportunity to survey the scene, check for cover or anything. The battle starts and you're not allowed to quick save or save game. You will die. You get to start over back at the bottom of the elevator. There's no jump cutscene 'hot' key I've found, and I've tried every key on my keyboard.

it' s a rainy Sunday in north Georgia and I have the whole afternoon to play my new game. But I'm putting the damn game up for now 'cause I'm through watching 2 minutes of cutscene for 7-8 seconds of game play. screw it. I finally beat them to all but one character, and he rallied and killed me. This is poor. It ought at least auto save after all the cutscenes and plot line development. Once you've seen it once. I don't need to see it over and over again. If you can auto save before the movies, why can't you save after the movies? Come on guys, you can do better then this.:bang head

Last edited:
spoiler much?

Maybe choose another team that can survive an ambush? Use those skills you have to buy you time? Push + grenade = good time.

I don't know if you're at the level where you can use Unity yet, but definitely have that ready to go before you engage the cutscene. You rez your teammates, and they can basically save your ***. Also, first aid.

It's a somewhat complicated game, but you get the hang of it.

My first playthrough was the hardest. It got much easier by the time of my 6th playthrough. You'll find it easy too soon enough. Also you're first planet is usually the hardest.

spoiler much?

Maybe choose another team that can survive an ambush? Use those skills you have to buy you time? Push + grenade = good time.

I screwed up and my last hard save is leaving the presidium...the first time!:bang head . And I've already done 3 -4 planets since then.

sorry about the spoiler. I didn't think I gave enough away unless you played it. I'll edit the original post.

I miss several details from KOTOR AND NWN. 1) spacebar should be tap and release to pause the game and set up. Holding down the spacebar is clumsy. and 2) I liked the ability to jump characters to better utilize their abilities.

and 3. yes I'll study the manual and save often.

PS. Still sucks that we have to sit through cutscenes multiple times. Really blows chunks.

I just finished this planet again. The krogan does the same thing every time. He'll run to the left so run the opposite way and get behind cover. The Geth shouldn't give you too much trouble so just worry about him. He can regenerate his health quickly so try using polonium rounds because that prevents his regen and immunity.

Like I've got polonium rounds? Never heard of it. alas, I did beat the stoopid level. I had a quick save right before she's rescued, and played with all the settings, cashed out my extra stuff, etc. I loaded my last hard save and couldn't stomach starting over again, so i futzed until I got it. Had to walk away a couple of times I got so frustrated. The save thing could give ya a break. Thanks for your help. I did find the Unity healing and am working towards that with all experience points, only need 1 more!:beer:

I only read about the first 2 words in the original post but it gives me a strong spoiler vibe.. DBZ's post confirms it.. Greenjeans buddy, you might wanna put SPOILER in the post title, or at least use a hard color to read (dark grey or black) so people have to highlight the words to see them. Especially with a game that came out on PC like 3 days ago :mad:

Greenjeans buddy, you might wanna put SPOILER in the post title :mad:

Hey! I did and apologized. Geez! I didn't use any formal names and unless you knew the plot you couldn't what the spoiler was. if you knew the plot you were already there.

Again. sorry Dude!:(

Hey! I did and apologized. Geez! I didn't use any formal names and unless you knew the plot you couldn't what the spoiler was. if you knew the plot you were already there.

Again. sorry Dude!:(

Oh come now... "This is the whole story: In the end PERSON A..." :)

Anyway @op

SUCK IT UP!

I was killed by f'n INVISIBLE NINJAS in Ninja Gaiden before the first backwards compatibility f***ed up on me before I could even GET to a damned save point. So my empathy's worn maybe a little thin... :)

Back