• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need Some Help In Order to Score Big Borg

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SniperXX

Ok so I was talking to my boss today about running Folding @ Home on many of our client pcs. We are an IT Consulting company that does out sourced IT and Im head consultant. I explained about the program but hes cautious and wants to run a test of sorts first.

He asked if there is a way to run the program at night but stop it during business hours. These companies all have their systems on domains, so I am wondering if theres a way to make a script or something to do it. He even offered to create a program that would start and stop it (hes also our head programmer).

Also, would starting and stopping F@H mess it up?

Oh and many of these systems are C2D 2GHz+ or 2Ghz+ A64 X2s. The slowest computer out of all our client computers is a 2.4Ghz P4. So I would love to get these up and running for Team 32. Also, we are looking at maybe 200 PCs. :beer:

Ok so I was talking to my boss today about running Folding @ Home on many of our client pcs. We are an IT Consulting company that does out sourced IT and Im head consultant. I explained about the program but hes cautious and wants to run a test of sorts first.

He asked if there is a way to run the program at night but stop it during business hours. These companies all have their systems on domains, so I am wondering if theres a way to make a script or something to do it. He even offered to create a program that would start and stop it (hes also our head programmer).

Oh and many of these systems are C2D 2GHz+ or 2Ghz+ A64 X2s. The slowest computer out of all our client computers is a 2.4Ghz P4. So I would love to get these up and running for Team 32. Also, we are looking at maybe 200 PCs. :beer:

I would not run FAH on a clients PC unless you get their permission, first. In many cases that could be viewed as a theft of services, and some states have enacted tough laws about doing that.

It's naive to expect that one of your clients won't notice - someone always will notice it, sooner or later.

If you can get permission, the 5.04 FAH client, would be ideal. Both Windows and Linux have a way to run a program at certain times, only. If you stop the client correctly, then there's no problem. The proper way depends on the type of installation.

Remember that the FAH client can be configured to match the needs of the client. Memory amount, percent of cpu cycles allocated for FAH (which can be adjusted so as to seriously cut down on heat, power, and noise produced while folding). Some of these are in the advanced configuration area of the set up function.

Another IT worker and teammate, Woods, was just fired for violating company policy while doing this, so proceed with care, and be legit all the way. Don't let the temptation of 200 computers, lure you into doing something that may get you fired, or whatever.

I would not run FAH on a clients PC unless you get their permission, first. In many cases that could be viewed as a theft of services, and some states have enacted tough laws about doing that.

It's naive to expect that one of your clients won't notice - someone always will notice it, sooner or later.

If you can get permission, the 5.04 FAH client, would be ideal. Both Windows and Linux have a way to run a program at certain times, only. If you stop the client correctly, then there's no problem. The proper way depends on the type of installation.

Remember that the FAH client can be configured to match the needs of the client. Memory amount, percent of cpu cycles allocated for FAH (which can be adjusted so as to seriously cut down on heat, power, and noise produced while folding). Some of these are in the advanced configuration area of the set up function.

Another IT worker and teammate, Woods, was just fired for violating company policy while doing this, so proceed with care, and be legit all the way. Don't let the temptation of 200 computers, lure you into doing something that may get you fired, or whatever.

We DO have permission, sadly one of the owners of our biggest client recently passed away from cancer. So they are happy to run it since it helps science. Its just my boss wants the night runs to be a first test. He isn't too familiar with the client and how it runs, he said if it runs fine at night we can start phasing it in 24/7. I told him how I can game with it running due to the way its designed and wont slow the pcs but like I said he doesn't know anything about the client and is nervous if it may crash it.

Do you have further details on setting up the client to run during certain hours? Is there a FAQ some where or a guide? That would really help. I hate to have to do all this work for only a week or so but its part of the agreement to get them folding. Test first, full implementation after. :clap::clap:

Sounds awesome!

Just make 10000000% sure you have total permission to do this. Your boss's boss permission etc. We don't want to you to get in trouble.

Other than that, GL and we hope you can get it working! ;)

We DO have permission, sadly one of the owners of our biggest client recently passed away from cancer. So they are happy to run it since it helps science. Its just my boss wants the night runs to be a first test. He isn't too familiar with the client and how it runs, he said if it runs fine at night we can start phasing it in 24/7. I told him how I can game with it running due to the way its designed and wont slow the pcs but like I said he doesn't know anything about the client and is nervous if it may crash it.

Do you have further details on setting up the client to run during certain hours? Is there a FAQ some where or a guide? That would really help. I hate to have to do all this work for only a week or so but its part of the agreement to get them folding. Test first, full implementation after. :clap::clap:
If you need to mass install, please see my post here:

http://www.ocforums.com/showpost.php?p=5565323&postcount=119

That will help you push it out like no tomorrow!

But PLEASE do not get fired over this, I still feel guilty about the Woods incident :(

Sounds awesome!

Just make 10000000% sure you have total permission to do this. Your boss's boss permission etc. We don't want to you to get in trouble.

Other than that, GL and we hope you can get it working! ;)

Yeah, I've never been fond of doing that stuff w/o permission.

If you need to mass install, please see my post here:

http://www.ocforums.com/showpost.php?p=5565323&postcount=119

That will help you push it out like no tomorrow!

But PLEASE do not get fired over this, I still feel guilty about the Woods incident :(

I read his thread, that sucks. But my boss is the CEO so Im safe and our client's current CEO is fine with it. Cant get any higher up permission than that.

I will check out your link.

@SniperXX: Linux or Windows OS?

All run win xp pro sp3. Many of our clients call with the stupidest things with how to do stuff windows.. I would never get off the phone if they ran linux. :p

Servers also run server 2k3 enterprise edition.

I read his thread, that sucks. But my boss is the CEO so Im safe and our client's current CEO is fine with it. Cant get any higher up permission than that.

I will check out your link.
Do not compromise. Get. It. In. Writing.

My dad always taught me when I was growing up to cover my butt with stuff in writing. I must say its worked out many times in the past, lol.

So how do I set up FAH to run between certain hours?
Awesome :)

All I can think of is to use Scheduled Tasks to start and stop it.

Do not compromise. Get. It. In. Writing.

My dad always taught me when I was growing up to cover my butt with stuff in writing. I must say its worked out many times in the past, lol.

So how do I set up FAH to run between certain hours?

Sounds great but as every one has stated, get it in writing , even if the CEO was your dad,I would want it down on paper,
As you wouldn't want to go the same way as poor Woods did, and that sucked!

Can't help you Sniper, but still wanted to wish you luck. :beer:
Sounds like you will have some serious power there. :attn:

Back